Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Sonder Frontier owners, to the forum
  • rossburton
    Free Member

I’m about to get a Sonder Frontier and will be singlespeeding it to start. Anyone else do this, and will a non-boost crank with a 32t ring have enough clearance or do I need boost?

stingmered

Soon to be Frontier owner, arrives in a week or so. S/S can get in the sea though, that’s for the commute bike! 🙂

Clink

To OP I’m possibly selling mine if you are after a large (I’m 5’10”)?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rossburton
    Free Member

Sorry clink, paid for mine this morning 🙂

Clink

No worries. You won’t regret it great all-rounders for the money.

gazzab1955

I’m thinking of getting a Frontier for bike packing in 2022 and am confused by the Alpkit website. It says the bike is a 29ner (which I want) on the main web page for all the build variations, but if you click “buy now” the only wheel option is 27.5? Can anyone throw any light on this?

miky2341

Details?

gazzab1955

@miky2341 – Doesn’t matter which Frontier build you choose (Shimano or SRAM, sus or rigid forks) as far as I can see, they all say “29ner Bike” but only seem to offer 27.5.

dove1

Give Alpkit/Sonder a call and ask about wheel size. They are very helpful.

gazzab1955

@dove1 – Thanks, going to give them a call when the hols are over, but saw this thread and just wondered if anyone on STW knew the answer.

superstu
    Free Member

Pure guess work but I would imagine the 29/27.5 thing is just a stock issue, with more people wanting 29?

superstu
    Free Member

Oh and alpkit are very helpful, love my Camino and my brother had a transmitter. Both excellently put together, wouldn’t buy from them again (I like the look of the evol)

dove1

Pure guess work but I would imagine the 29/27.5 thing is just a stock issue, with more people wanting 29?

Agree with this. The Frontier is designed around 27.5+/29 wheels so it is probably just a stock issue.

gazzab1955

@dove1 – Re Frontier 29ner availability, I had this reply to my enquiry to Alpkit …..

Thanks for getting in touch, 
    We do still supply this as a 29er – just pop a note on the order or let us know once it’s placed and i can swap the wheels over for you. Apologies for the confusion, looks to be some work needed on the website. I’ll report this back.
    All the best,

dove1

Oh and alpkit are very helpful, love my Camino and my brother had a transmitter. Both excellently put together, wouldn’t buy from them again (I like the look of the evol)

Wouldn’t?

dove1

@gazzab1955 – They are very helpful at Sonder/Alpkit and will basically build whatever you want.
    When I bought my Broken Road I think the only ‘standard’ items on it were the saddle, seat post and stem!

davidd

I have had a Frontier for one year – and it has proven to be one of the best purchases I have made during the pandemic while working from home.
    I bought the rigid fork/frame option and built up with parts from an older bike – and with 29er wheels. Non-boost XT crankset – chainline is fine. XT 11 speed with 11 to 46 cassette.
    The one thing I purchased for the build was a dropper post.
    I originally built this to replace my commuter/shopper bike – but I am actually using it more than I originally intended for trail/singletrack riding. I have found it to be a really fun bike to ride, whether popping down to the shops or riding singletrack. It is way more capable on trails/singletrack than I had expected.
    As it was originally intended for commuting I put SKS full mud guards on it. But as it turns out, the Frontier has become a great alternative to my main full suss bike when it is really wet (as I tend to stay away from my usual enduro/off-piste trails in these conditions to give them a rest). Also, because I am working from home now, it has been ideal for a quick spins during the day without getting clarty. I didn’t expect the mudguards to last long with so much trail riding but so far so good.
    I have recently put 60mm rise handlebars on – as I thought the front height was a bit low for my preference. This has given me a more comfortable riding position – but, to me, also feels better
    when riding trails too.
    So, that has been my experience so far.

slowol

My frame was delivered yesterday along with a pair of wheels from the Superstar sale. Probably going to take a bit of time to put together (some new parts some old) but looks good so far.

superstu
    Free Member

Sorry @dove1, auto correct changed would to wouldn’t, not very helpful 😂

I’m a Sonder fan, really well designed bikes and good customer service. Their website sometimes has a “lag” button n being updated but they are great in the phone and happy to deal with any queries or questions.

Having tried several cx / adventure / gravel bikes the Camino is the first that’s actually delivered on what I expected. The transmitter is an awesome hardtail and I’d buy one if I was in the market. No reason to think the frontier won’t be anything but great.

dave_h
    Free Member

I ran a non-boost Race Face crank on the one I had with a 1×11 rear and no problem.

leythervegas
    Free Member

Thinking of going for a Frontier as my do it all hardtail to pair with my 100mm Sids. I don’t ride anythng gnarly nowadays so looking for a xc-ish bike that can do the odd red run at Llandegla/Whinlatter and do my wdaily work commute. Any more experiences/reviews/pictures?

Clink

It’s not bling, or particularly modern geo (better for that?) but it’s a very versatile all rounder. Still got one. Used for xc, bike packing and did a week touring in Brittany last summer. Currently rigid, but 100mm Rebas were spot on (couldn’t afford SIDS).

dave_h
    Free Member

I ran a Frontier with a 1×11 with a non-Boost chainset.

I’m ordering an Evol with 27.5 wheels because I already have some 29er wheels but need a set of 27.5 – they’ve sorted this for no additional cost.

Sonder/Alpkit are hugely accommodating, will do everything they can to get you they bike you want.

dove1

I bought a Frontier frame and built it up rigid using parts from my spares stash and a couple of new bargain buys.
    It’s a cracking bike. I used it mainly for commuting and the odd trail ride and had no problems at all.
    Unfortunately I have knackered my shoulder so it’s currently hanging in the garage getting dusty.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.