Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Sonder frontier owners? Real time feed back
  • oreetmon
    Free Member

Not interested in silly brant haters opinions (3x on ones over 10yrs,no problems)
    Frontier owner opinions only. Company I work for is stopping Cycle to work scheme soon and want sort a cheap 29er before brexit kicks in (presuming price increase).
    Got a gravel bike, got a HT AM bike want something in between .
    Not interested in rammin, thinking BOOST frame a good future proof option, if not at least I will get defunct boost hubs/whhelsets cheap.

Been alpkit Ambleside today to swing a leg over the frontier and it felt ‘right’, (5’11” on a medium)

Bike will be used for XC and loaded with bags.

Ta

brant
    Free Member

Not interested in silly brant haters

Haters gonna hate.

But the Frontier isn’t anything to do with me.

scotroutes

Beware. The version of Boost used on the Frontier isn’t the same as most others. In fact, I think only Marin also do it. It might be possible to convert some Boost 148×12 hubs to fit.

ElShalimo

@brant – is the Camino AL one of yours?

oreetmon
    Free Member

Not got specs but frontier QR have option for bolt through end caps. Seems this is the bike nobody wants review,,,,,,,,, for that reason alone I’m keen

oreetmon
    Free Member

Apologies brant.

oreetmon
    Free Member

Read the BB review last week, value stu’s opinion more so over so called bike experts

matt_outandabout

I chose not to get one. Firstly the odd axle standard on the rear. Secondly the ‘winning’ two bikes I narrowed it down to had much better suspension forks (Marin Nail Trail and Pinnacle) That said, I wouldn’t be upset to own one.

oreetmon
    Free Member

Hmmm, tried the rammin, didn’t feel right.
    The Marin got equally strange axle options , NO ?

matt_outandabout

Not the Nail Trail 7, but others do.

Edit : NT7 is 142×12 maxle.

Frontier and Pine Mountain are 141mm QR

brant
    Free Member

@brant – is the Camino AL one of yours?

Yes. Though Neil might have finished it off.

ElShalimo

Thanks Brant
    Would it take a 2*10 SRAM mtb setup?

brant
    Free Member

Yes. I can’t think of any situation that wouldn’t work. Providing you use the right shifters of course.

wwaswas

Frontier owner opinions only.

before brexit kicks in

*muffled comment about Brexit already having kicked in on bike pricing*

shermer75
    Free Member

Frontier owner opinions only.

before brexit kicks in

*muffled comment about Brexit already having kicked in on bike pricing*

I would say that more price hikes are likely

flange
    Free Member

I have the Marin with the odd rear spacing, a boosted Pro4 rear hub fits fine (although be aware that pro4 boosted QR end caps are not the same as pro3 and pro2, so you’ll need those).

nowad
    Free Member

Purchased one last week. Complete bike.

First thing. Alpkit people really looked after me. Went up and test rode one with no charge. Built the complete bike while I waited.

For the price you can’t go wrong. Rides spot on. Took it in fully rigid.

No concerns about the rigid fork at all. Comparison to steel, there us none as you are running 2.4 inch rubber at 25 psi. Fully loaded with 20kg of gear is identical to it being empty. No BB away. Yes slower but perfect for packing.

Way to much negativity about the boost situation in my opinion, especially if taking a complete bike, it’s too cheap to be concerned. Yes I understand if using up your spares or converting another bike which was my original plan but in this case I just have another bike.

Alpkit is also someone I hugely recommend. Service was exceptional. Neil built the bike in 2 hours for me so I didn’t have to call back, I expected some faults here but not a single bolt lose or anything out of line.

And note they have 3 shops not 2!!

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Neil built the bike in 2 hours for me so I didn’t have to call back, I expected some faults here but not a single bolt lose or anything out of line.

He must be slacking, we had an hour to build Pro Carbons when we worked at PX and that included bar taping. Enjoy your bike☺

nowad
    Free Member

Haha admitting I did fall asleep in the car so may had been done earlier!

Will do!

gastromonkey
    Free Member

@nowad after a couple of months what are your thoughts and experiences of the bike? I’m looking at the Frontier 29er with suspension forks. I would probably buy a set of 650b+ wheels to go with it so I can change between them for different conditions.

If anyone else has experience of these bikes let me know what you think. Thanks

nowad
    Free Member

@gastromonkey sorry mate never logged in. Absolutely love it. I’m 48 and ridden all my life and just love the simplicity of it. Very comfy and can ride anything. Packs well also and I run heavy.
    I’m off to hathersage peak district on it for a few days soon to give it a good hiding haha.
    Also alpkit have had it at under £800 recently. Buy one.

Mbnut
    Free Member

No Frontier but a very happy Transmitter owner.

Excellent attention to detail and usability evident in the frame design.

Alpkit/Sonder guys very helpful throughout.

As mentioned above, Stuart at Bearbones knows his stuff and he is a very honest guy.

I’d say go for it.

wilbert

I bought a pre-referendum Sonder Transmitter NX Yari for £999 (which increased in price shortly after the people had spoken) on a cycle to work scheme. I think I was the first person to buy from them that way, so it took a bit of sorting out. Anyway, because they are direct sales, I had to fund the extra 10% that goes to the C2W provider as commission.

Might be worth checking if that is still their policy, you might save more money elsewhere.

Ace bike though…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Sonder frontier owners? Real time feed back’ is closed to new replies.