Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Sonder Dial XC 29er
  • ElShalimo

I’ve just seen this on their website. Has anyone seen one in the flesh?

https://alpkit.com/collections/sonder-dial-xc-bike

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the frame only looks good value.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

1.9kg for the frame is pushing the definition of “race tuned” somewhat? although that depends on o the price, if it’s cheap enough you could offset some of that with a light build, but I’m skeptical.

Some elements look very familiar (not a bad thing, and there’s obvious differences too.).

ElShalimo

And that red/orange looks nice too!

It looks like a decent bike for middle-aged, bimbling, talentless riders like me

simon_g

Why have the dropper cable exit on the back of the seat tube?

Looks alright though, geo is somewhere between XC racer and trail hardtail.

kerley
    Free Member

The geometry is close to a bike I have just built up and I find it perfect for what I am riding (fairly easy singletrack and fireroads). A good bike for those that realise they may not need a 1 metre long reach and 50 degree head angle bike!

duckman

Pretty good revenge for on one’s brief foray into the ti hardtail market a couple of years ago!

faustus

Just what I’m after, XC focus but geometry good for anything when required. Something that suits the riding I do. Speed and fun. Very tempted to preorder a frame!

mccraque

It’s good value for the price point… but Sonder seem to narrowly miss what I am after usually. This being case in point. It’s too heavy for racing. 69 isn’t quite “fun” enough for me for normal duties.

What I need them to do is to make a 29″ compatible carbon transmitter, in Reef Blue. Race weight trail geo hardtail. I know you can get 29 in there, but only with a pencil thin rear tyre and a raised bottom bracket. PLEASE NEIL JUST MAKE SOME!

ElShalimo

The webpage has been updated now. I wonder how fast they’ll sell out.

swanny853

mccraque +1

I’d have bought one of them. Or a carbon signal.

I like this as just a good straightforward hardtail but I can’t help but feel it’s missing a second bottle cage for that use.

rOcKeTdOg

Perfect flat bar gravel bike frame 👌

faustus

Probably is missing a 2nd cage, didn’t put me off from buying the frame only though. Thinking it’ll make for a good mountain bike!

ahwiles
    Free Member

this looks great!

sort of like an old school xc bike, but with slightly updated geometry – just a bit longer/slacker/steeper where it matters.

you can’t move for hardcore hardtails these days, i’ll flog some stuff on ebay, and see what funds i can raise…

Clink

mccraque +2

I want a light, fast trail bike – something like the new Yeti Arc but not £1300.

docrobster
    Free Member

Mccraque+3
    Not even bothered about carbon. 29er alu transmitter would have been perfect for me and would sell like hot cakes if it was £300.
    A mate has a signal ti and another a transmitter (or did have- seems to have bee in a solarismax recently). All those other options seem to do the same for near on double the money.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Yup 29er alloy transmitter for me too.

But isn’t that called a Scandal? IIRC the frames were about £300 or so on launch.

Clink

Yup 29er alloy transmitter for me too.

But isn’t that called a Scandal?

Yeah and currently £699!

wzzzz
    Free Member

They sell the scratched ones on ebay for £250. You’ve just missed a handful of them. See also Jack flash. Keep an eye out.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/planetxbikesuk/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

cloggy

Yeh I got one. I’ve only found one negative with a slacker head angle; which has proved stable, and better for technical climbing. It’s so easy to cross ruts diagonally and much better balanced. I found it out yesterday. Spinning out down a fast road hill I discovered that my Dog oscillated with the high cadence. I’ll try to replicate this with my Scandel. That apart I don’t really understand what the benefits of an old school steep head angle are.

misosoup
    Free Member

Is anyone who has one in grey up for posting pictures? On the website it looks more white than grey. I’m fine with actual grey but I don’t want a white bike.

wheelie

If you look on the Sonder Owners Facebook group Neil Sutton posted pic of a grey frame which looks a lot darker than is shown on Sonder website.

misosoup
    Free Member

Cheers, can’t find the post but looks the group in general might be helpful.

damitamit
    Free Member

Anyone got one? How does it ride?

Looking to buy the frameset as an alternative to something like the Spesh Chisel. I’m coming off a 26″ Anthem X4. How will this ride in comparison?

miky2341

Anyone got one of these? I want something I’m going to enjoy riding uphill as much as downhill, this seams to be pretty perfect?

cycledad
    Free Member

I bought the Sonder Dial as a frame only 3 months ago and built it up with Recon forks, Sonder Alpha XC wheels and shimano Deore/XT components.

I think it’s a great bike, particularly for the price. I’ve ridden the blue and Red Trails at Swinley Forest and Hadleigh Park Red and black sections and I’ve been impressed with how the Dial handles and rides.

I think the geometry is spot on for fast, efficient climbing and confident descending.

In fact, I’ve just replaced the rigid seat post with a dropper because I want to test its flight capabilities 🙂

Hope this reply is useful.

damitamit
    Free Member

dial

Finished mine last week and rode it a couple of times this weekend. Really like it! Feels nicer to ride than my 26″ anthem I swapped from.

lovewookie

That looking nice. Has a purposeful getting you along look about it, rather than the slacksleds. Then again, I’m XC biased so prefer that look anyway.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Sonder Dial XC 29er’ is closed to new replies.