• This topic has 32 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by jeffl.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Sonder Cortex – how bad it is?
  • IvanMTB
    Free Member

Still looking to build cheap-ish trail/XC bike.

Sonder Cortex looks to be ticking all the boxes. 120mm travel, fairly modern geometry and most of all would not require kidney and liver selling – looking at you Transition Spur…

However, there is always a catch…

In other threads some people suggested less than stellar finish, there was one in Classified with description of being squeaky and grindy piece of frustration that is developing play and losing bolts almost out of the box…

So realistically, how bad it is?

Cheers!
    I.

letmetalktomark

I currently have two Sonder frames – a custom Signal and a Camino.

I also bought a Cortex frame back in September but returned it almost instantly.

Right out of the box the frame looked tired. The pivot bolts had already started to round off – presumably after just being fitted and torqued, it came without the shock fitted and the paint was already chipped.

Sadly the feel of the frame, linkage especially, felt cheap.

It just wasn’t quite right. I chalked it up to one of those things and perhaps on any other day it might have arrived perfect and been fine.

Unfortunately coupled with the listing on the website being wrong and the specially ordered headset ending up being incorrect was the last straw. I returned it.

Reading the listing for the one in the classifieds confirmed what I kind of expected may happen, sans squeaking.

The upside was at the time it was under a £1k with the CC shock.

ampthill

I test road one. Finish seemed fine. No squeaks.But I did remember thinking that the suspension wasn’t doing allot. Could be set up but we did set the sag. Tyres were probably too hard as well.

jimdubleyou

Hmmm, this was looking like it ticked most of the boxes for a new Short Travel FS.

Disappointed to hear they are rubbishly finished because it’s quite keenly priced.

I know ST did a first ride review – did one come in on test?

IvanMTB
    Free Member

heh…

Sadly I would be probably better served with second hand Stumpjumper (shudder) or else…

Cheers!
    I.

ampthill

I know its the wrong wheel size but the bird aeris 120 is well loved and £1050 frame and shock. Sadly lock down means I didn’t get to demo one

timnoyce
    Free Member

I’ve had one since September and I think it’s pretty great actually. The paint finish looked great from new, but has flaked a little more easily in places (but in fairness, I have ridden the thing pretty hard from day 1)

I’ve got the basic version with the Rockshox Deluxe and I’ve got it setup nicely now with all the volume spacers and 20% sag. It’s a proper trail bike. Mine is 140mm up front and 120mm rear. It pedals well for long rides and you can shred the balls off it in the gnar.

I love mine. I got a frameset and built it up myself but there was no issue with the fit and finish of the fixings. I did have an issue with one of the linkages but it was sorted very swiftly by Neil at Sonder and dealt with it very professionally.

I’d have no issue recommending the bike at all. It’s a bike and it’s designed to be ridden so don’t be precious about it and ride it!

plus-one

I had sonder Evol for a while it was a great bike. Finish and paint were excellent Imho. Only sold it as I preferred a hardtail and I bought another sonder the transmitter 🙂 Again excellent frame for the money 👍🏻

IvanMTB
    Free Member

I’d have no issue recommending the bike at all. It’s a bike and it’s designed to be ridden so don’t be precious about it and ride it!

No issue with that statement, I ride bikes, not collect them.

However I have an issue with bike being frustrating, noisy, squeaky contraption.

Problem with Cortex is there are not too many long term reviews kicking around.

From what I can see they are pretty polarized, from excellent to terrible. Nothing in between…
    Cheers!
    I.

timnoyce
    Free Member

Mine is not noisy and I’ve not heard a squeak out of it. I’ve wrapped the chainstay in self amalgamating tape and run an XT rear mech with clutch so don’t think there is much chain slap to speak of.

I’ve written a few bits on here about mine and it’s great.

cortex

Mines an XL

IvanMTB
    Free Member

You made me doubt now timnoyce xD

Cheers!
    I.

timnoyce
    Free Member

Where do you live? If you’re anywhere near Portsmouth I can disinfect mine and you can take it for a spin 😀

IvanMTB
    Free Member

😀

Not exactly distance for a Sunday morning bimble. “Sunny” Rotherham of South Yorks is my place xD

But thanks!

Cheers!
    I.

bulblax
    Free Member

My Cortex has been fine so far. The only problem I’ve had is the rear brake needed bleeding soon after I got it. Alpkit reimbursed me for having this sorted at a LBS.
    I like the bike, it seems to pedal and descend ok to me. It’s my first full sus so I’m not the best person to judge how well the suspension performs. It’s definitely a more capable bike than my old hard tail.

sxneil
    Free Member

Ivan, I designed the bike, currently have one in the shed and live in Rotherham if you want to come and have a look. Drop me a message.

We’ve never had any issues with the finish, its extremely durable. The chainstay will chip from chain strikes but thats completely to be expected.

We had a few issues with some bikes developing play at the linkage and needing replacement parts. I’ll have revised parts for these frames next week so thats resolved. I think we’ve had it on about 8 bikes in total, so quite a bit less that 10% of what we’ve sold.

The pivot bolts are alloy so you do have to be careful and use decent allen keys when tightening them. Again, not something we’ve had an issue with on our demo or new bikes.

Again, bearing life in them seems on par with anything else i’ve used, the bike i have here is one of the first we built for the photo/video shoot last summer, its pretty well used and still lovely and smooth with zero play.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I’m one of the people who had a few issues, regarding the pivot bolts there are two which are rather delicate, the rest are absolutely fine. I’ve had the bike since September and I’m still very happy with it, for the rooty singletrack I usually ride it is perfect, I’ve run both the Rockshox deluxe and the cane creek inline and find the latter much better for grip and comfort.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Oh and paint is as good as any of my previous bikes or better, Airdrop Edit, Meta AM275, Nukeproof Mega AM275.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Also very quiet, no squeaks, no rattles, I’m very fussy about noisy bikes, but it’s not an issue.

tall_martin

Thats some proper lurking Neil!

Any chance of some 520mm reach xxl bikes in the future?

12 posts in 11 years! I wonder what Brant’s year/post ratio is 🙂

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Thanks a lot sxneil!!!

Will definitely try to organize myself and drop in for little lookie-look.

Cheers!
    I.

sxneil
    Free Member

Thats some proper lurking Neil!

Any chance of some 520mm reach xxl bikes in the future?

12 posts in 11 years! I wonder what Brant’s year/post ratio is 🙂

I very rarely come on here, only know about this post as someone pointed it out to me!!

New bike coming soon that might suit….

lots_of_hope

Hello Neil, are the new linkage plates being sent out to everyone or do I have to put my name down for them? I have play in the little cast aluminium inserts that join the shock to the top of the plates. They were anodised black.

sxneil
    Free Member

@lots_of_hope

Drop me an email to neil@alpkit.com and i’ll make sure you get some.

jimdubleyou

Looks like I might have found my next bike then (especially now I know where to get hold of the designer 🙂 )

timnoyce
    Free Member

SXNeil is a top bloke, I did wonder if he might come and get involved in this thread.

As mentioned previously, I’ve got no issues recommending the bike to others and I’d defs buy another Sonder when the time comes.

docrobster
    Free Member

Ooh hello sxneil. Any chance of a 29 version of the transmitter for the same price but in steel?
    Asking for a friend like…
    Actually I’m not as he’s just ordered a blinged up signal Ti, but we both agreed a steel 29er with numbers like the transmitter would sell well round these parts

johnnystorm

@docrobster @sxneil

Spy Shot: Sonder Signal Steel hardtail spied!

This must be near production, shirley? 😉

docrobster
    Free Member

I had seen that article I think

IvanMTB
    Free Member

That was very informative, eye opening and nice meeting 😁
    Thanks a lot sxneil, top man 👍👍👍
    Cheers!
    I.

jeffl

Do tell more, what were you informed about and your eyes opened to?

jeffl

Sorry should add that I’m interested in this frame but sounds like there may be something afoot.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

but sounds like there may be something afoot

So to summarize…

There is something afoot, sort-off…

According to very sparse long term tests there were some calls about painting being not too great as well as swingarm making some noizes.

So to put first issue to rest. Seen extensively used frame this Saturday that only signs of paint flaking was on the unprotected chain stay.

Other issue, noisy swingarm, is not a case at all. However, as sxneil confirmed, they had 8 cases (if memory serves me well) cases of rocker plates un-bonding from bushings/pivots.
    If you will experience that unfortunate thing Sonder guys will replace it for you.

So me, personally, will be looking to get one for myself.

Cheers!
    I.

jeffl

Thanks for the update 👍

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Sonder Cortex – how bad it is?’ is closed to new replies.