Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Sonder Camino AL hub spacing.
  • tuboflard

I’m looking at getting one of the Sonder Camino frames currently discounted on the Alpkit site to make up a cheap commuter using the parts bin. However I’ve got a set of spare boost 29er wheels and am not sure what real world clearance is like (was going to use 700x50c WTB’s) and also not sure if the frame and forks are boost or not.

If they’re not boost what size are they? It’ll make it less of a bargain to build up as will need a new (or eBay) set of wheels.

Can anyone give me their views, ideally current owners?

Phil_H

Not boost.
    Rear 142 x 12
    Front 100 x 12

tuboflard

Thanks @Phil_H I thought that might be the case. Will have a look around for a boost frame elsewhere then.

tuboflard

So, next thought. How about a Sonder Frontier but with flared drops? Something like a Salsa Woodchipper. That way I could still run the spare 29er wheels and I’d only have to buy some brakes.

rOcKeTdOg

So, next thought. How about a Sonder Frontier but with flared drops? Something like a Salsa Woodchipper. That way I could still run the spare 29er wheels and I’d only have to buy some brakes.

The top tube will probably be too long to run drops as it’s designed for flat bars, unless you like a superman position or have a spare mondraker 0″ length stem and room for a lot of spacers on the steerer

tuboflard

Thanks @rOcKeTdOg, I looked at reach and too tube compared to my Sutra LTD and it does look a fair bit longer, so thought I could either chance it, downsize or just accept my spare 29er wheels need to find another home.

Still keen to build up a cheap(ish) commuter using the parts bin. Lost out by a £1 on a Kona Paddywagon on eBay last week which was the perfect starting point. I’ll keep looking…

jwildcard
    Free Member

Just come across this thread, would the sonder camino be something that I could swap over frame wise with a hardtail mtb. I have a 27.5 bike but am after a gravel bike really as the suspension forks are overkill for the riding I am doing. How much were the sonder frames, I have seen them online for £349

Superficial
    Free Member

How much were the sonder frames, I have seen them online for £349

Yeah, this is a bit cheeky from Sonder, and as much as I love the company and the bikes, the RRP for a Camino AL frameset was £299 at the start of 2021 when I ordered mine. So the ‘sale’ price of last year’s model is actually 50 quid more than they were at the time. The RRP has since been raised to £449. It’s still a good deal at that price IMO but it just feels a bit naughty.

In store (Hathersage) they often have parts bins with great deals on their own-brand stuff. Last time I was in, they had Camino AL forks in the 2021 colours for ~£30 each IIRC. I almost bought a set to keep as a spare. They also had some B-stock Camino frames last time I was in – with v minor scratches. £200 frame only, maybe? I don’t think those deals ever make it onto the website. You could phone the Hathersage branch.

jwildcard
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestion regarding checking the stores. I live pretty close to where the HQ is in Nottingham but I think that is more of a warehouse than a retail outlet right? As I had looked at ebay and saw the address was in Nottingham.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.