Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Son of Saul
  • carbonfiend
    Free Member

Anybody seen it yet ?

rone

Yep.

I would say it is was ‘interesting’ rather than particularly good.

The techniques they used for making it (4/3, very shallow focus) sometimes claustrophobic and worked well – other times I would’ve like to have seen what was going on a bit more.

Central performance is good, and packs plenty of emotional punches. The subject matter is tough as you would expect and you have to admire the commitment to produce a film like this.

But in my opinion, not the devastating classic Kermode was talking about – possibly due to the unconventional techniques involved which were very bold but make it a viewing where you have to work.

The director does strip out sentimentality – so if you’re going in expecting Schindler’s List – this film has a stronger sense of reality.

Maybe need to watch again.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Thanx for that, wanna sit down with the wife & watch it but when I described the content & Kermode review she was put off as too harrowing. I had it down as (subject matter aside) something akin to requiem for a dream meets antichrist

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rone

It’s not as surreal as either of those two films. Firmly grounded in reality.

It’s not that graphic, a lot of it is implied. But it’s extremely claustrophobic.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

I gotta see it its all lined up ready to go just need to pick the moment. I found both those other films leave quite a bad taste in your mouth. John Connelly who wrote Layer Cake once described Reqium… to me as “somebody walking up & handing you a big steaming turd and the leaving you holding it” 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Son of Saul’ is closed to new replies.