Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Son killed our laptop (what new laptop content)
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

So the wife left her iPhone charge cable plugged in and my 4 year old decided the other end fitted nicely in the firewire socket. One dead laptop. Was an acer and anout a year old. Fach.

Whats good around the 600 quid mark?

timba
    Free Member

It might be a single blown component, is it worth asking about a repair?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Possibly…. Although repair prices here are silly. Mate had a couple of broken keys on his iPad which apparently needed a whole new keyboard and $300.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

That be Apple pricing, and I presume you mean a MacBook? You don’t have an Apple.

As an aside: FireWire… “Whoooooooooooo”.

tomd
    Free Member

+1 for get a repair quote. There are lots of places that can repair PCs so pretty cheap. For reference a new screen for my laptop was £100 fitted.

rwamartin
    Free Member

Just bought a dell inspiron 17″ – i7 processor 8GB ram 1080 screen and 1TB HDD. £649

spooky_b329

Open it up and unplug the firewire port (if its not part of the mainboard) Fair chance of fixing it in return for 10 minutes with a screwdriver.

Laptops will often stop at the boot screen if somethings not right.

Cougar

Define “dead”. Symptoms?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Fix it yourself.

soobalias
    Free Member

Mate had a couple of broken keys on his iPad which apparently needed a whole new keyboard and $300.

my lad had a few sticking keys* on his laptop – £8.50 for the new keyboard three screws and one ribbon cable, took maybe 5mins, two of which was spent searching for the right youtube vid

lets imagine it was coffee, or fizzy pop, or something

johnhe

New keyboard on your iPad? Eh?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Yeah I wrote iPad but meant Mac book. I even thought Mac book at the time.

Symptoms: doesn’t boot. Not even to bios. Plugged in its not even showing the charging led light. The bottom of the laptop doesn’t have sections for ram/hdd just one whole panel. It’s deed.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Son killed our laptop (what new laptop content)’ is closed to new replies.