Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Somewhere to go for a walk tomorrow…
  • phiiiiil

The gf and I were planning on going for a “proper” walk on Saturday as we haven’t been up any mountains for a while; top of the list were the Aran ridge south of Bala or Cadair Idris. Something involving a good ol’ hike to the top of something rocky and mountainous.

But of course everything is now covered in snow, and while we’re both experienced walkers we’re not really equipped for too much ice and snow!

Can anyone think of something a bit lower altitude that still makes for a satisfying walk to get to the top?

We’re in Cannock so something in mid- or North Wales would be good, or the Peak District perhaps…

Jenga
    Free Member

Moel Fammau in the Clwyds. Park at Cilcain. A good day is forecast.

jam-bo

i’m off to find some big snow drifts on dartmoor…

grumm
    Free Member

Get up early and get yourselves some crampons and an ice axe!

Dudie
    Free Member

Was up Snowdonia today. Original plan was to do either the Aran Ridge or Cadair Idris funnily enough. As usual I changed me mind en-route and did Moel Siabod instead. Anyhoo, it’s very white up there at the moment and definite crampons and ice axe weather. How about trying the Berwyns instead? Start at Pistyll Rhaeadr and head up Moel Sych and across Cadairs Berwyn and Bronwen. Then back to Berwyn and down the other side of the valley. It’s a great ‘non-technical’ walk in the snow and the views on a clear day are stunning.

phiiiiil

Some great ideas… just got to decide which one to do now! The list of places we mean to go seems to get longer faster than we can go to them…

The Berwyns sounds like a good spot though… I was looking at the area only this week with a view to going riding there, a walk might be a good way to have a look first.

Thanks all…

phiiiiil

Afterword: we set off to Pistyl Rhaeadr but couldn’t get up the road to it because of the snow! We went for a snowy walk by Lake Vrynwy in the end, so it was a top day out after all. The cafe by the dam does awesome cake… 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Somewhere to go for a walk tomorrow…’ is closed to new replies.