• This topic has 206 replies, 98 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by ton.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 207 total)
  • sometimes, is violence the only answer…………….on a commute.
  • backhander
    Free Member

I'm 6ft, 16 stone

You are a beach ball and I claim my five pounds.

backhander
    Free Member

double post

devs
    Free Member

I don't hit people because that would make me feel a bit of a ****.

Cos like you've got weapons of mass destruction and to use them would be cowardly as no one could defend themselves against your awesomeness. I know how you feel buddy. Well actually I don't. I'm with ton. He is a huge bloke by all accounts and that should be warning enough to treat him with a bit of respect. If some buffoon got in my space to the point I felt threatened then I would strike first too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    muddydwarf
    Free Member

So it's alright to treat a little bloke with no respect?

backhander
    Free Member

LOL @ DeVs

PJ266
    Free Member

Doesnt sound like "bullying" to me.

woodey
    Free Member

Ton, I would have done the same matey. If you're going to get up in someones face you have to be prepared for the consequences, simple as.

You obviously weren't wearing road shoes though!!

juan
    Free Member

He is a huge bloke by all accounts and that should be warning enough to treat him with a bit of respect

So it's ok to treat me with disrespect due to my size then…

geoffj

If the guy is screaming 'I'm gonna kill you' 5mm from your face then a gentle Glasgow kiss is self defence.

DezB
    Free Member

muddydwarf – Member
    So it's alright to treat a little bloke with no respect?

Little blokes are the ones I avoid.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think someone is confusing 'respect' with 'fear'. 🙂

RichPenny
    Free Member

So it's ok to treat me with disrespect due to my size then…

Of course not.

It's the French thing that makes it ok 😉

devs
    Free Member

Blimey the short arses are all getting a bit het up now aren't they. Ok, in this PC mad world all non gender specific persons of all variations of vertical challengeness and muscleboundness should be treated with exactly the same amount of respect.
    Meanwhile, in the real world, if you gob off to a big bloke you are more likely to get a slap. I do realise that there are plenty of tough dwarfs out there that could stick me on my arse with some kind of jap slapping ninja move but the law of the jungle states that a good big un will always beat a good little un.

Android
    Free Member

Nice one Ton, I like to think I'd have done the same.

Shame you didn't think to remove his keys as you rode past and drop them down the nearest drain 😀

joolsburger
    Free Member

More of a weeble than a beach ball TBH..I am awsome though!

Hitting people is wrong don't you guys know that?? Hitting some plumb who is all mouth and no trousers is even worse.

Walk away after all it's not like he had a gun or a knife just a big mouth which last time I checked isn't leathal..

BigDummy
    Free Member

I do realise that there are plenty of tough dwarfs out there that could stick me on my arse with some kind of jap slapping ninja move

Actually laughing out loud. Thank you for this. 😀

backhander
    Free Member

DeVs rules.

Del

you never know who you're dealing with. our fictional nutter ( the one that got nutted ), could just as easily come back up with a knife in his hand. you can play the tough guy if you like, and when you're bleeding your last into the gutter, at least you can console yourselves you were in the right. that'll pay your mortgage and feed your family too.

joolsburger
    Free Member

The more i think on this the more like entrapment it seems.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

some plumb who is all mouth and no trousers is even worse

This is a tough judgement to be made in a split second. When someone is raging at you close-in, you just don't know what will happen. I thinks Ton's action was justified for his own safety. I mean if you are going to take someone out/down then do a proper job.

Now if they guy was mouthing-off at a distance, it's a different story.

devs
    Free Member

How do you deal wit this then Del?

in a instant the guy is in your face, like 5mm away, screaming how he will kill you.

Hate to be picky too but when I had a mortgage, getting killed was a pretty good way to pay it off in one go!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

DeVs – Member

How do you deal wit this then Del?

"in a instant the guy is in your face, like 5mm away, screaming how he will kill you."

Not get into that situation in the first place. If someone stops and gets out of the car I am out of there.

Step back?

adopt a defensive body posture?

Laugh in his face?

the first option is the one I take tho.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

TJ, Ton did 'adopt a defensive body posture' by meeky bowing his head…..

8)

chunkypaul
    Free Member

i'm having trouble believing someone would be that stupid to do this 5mm from ton's face… up would have to really have to believe you could handle yourself suitably in a fight against him!

i've been in similar circumstances earlier this year in the petrol station with two pedestrians threatening to kick the crap out of me, but i walked (or drove even) away without any violence occurring – but words did pass… 😉 i think at one point i was also threatened with a kicking from their father as well, i did actually laugh in his face as that point and told him to **** off home and cry on his mummy’s skirt…

there are some really stupid, angry and aggressive people out on the streets – hopefully this one will have learnt that their threatening and inappropriate behaviour has consequences and they will not treat other road users in the same manner

hope you have chilled out about it now ton… something like that would **** me up for days..

brack
    Free Member

Had it happen to me a while back…whilst at work.

Bloke in a pub went to smash his pint glass on the table – his anger appeared directed at my female colleague. I put the guy on the floor before he knew what was happening….we then restrained the guy until the police arrrived.

In the meantime we got no end of abuse from the pub dwellers who had missed his threatening behaviour and saw us restraining one of their mates.

What Im trying to say is that…I didn't go out that night looking for trouble and acted in a manner that my 'instinct' dictated was right at that time.

Much the same way as 'ton' did I am sure. It is very difficult to comment on the rights or wrongs of a violent act without actually being there in person.

The guy involved was not seriously hurt ( thank god) and probably learnt a valuable lesson from it. I am sure that 'ton' has done the same.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

I'm afraid I've been there, done that and although it's satisfying, violence is NEVER the answer. You're clever enough to know that the right thing to have done would have been to look him in the eyes, say nothing and walk away (and then come and tell the story on STW). It is always hard not to react though, especially when someone has quite literally threatened your life.

It was my wife who was on the receiving end in my case, she'd been out for a run, got barged, spat at and called various names, came home in tears, I got on my bike and tore after them in a rage – ended up decking 3 of them. I think I've told the story on here before. Yes it was very satisfying. No, it wasn't the right thing to do. The police were called. I ended up on a charge, nearly lost my job over it.

I'd still 'tweak' my route home just in case he (or the police) are waiting to 'follow it up'.

ton

to all the doubters on here, it happened…fact
    to all who said it was wrong or that it was bullying……you were not there and did not see the guys anger
    and to everyone who thinks i was right………..so do i, and i will sleep well tonight.
    and to those who have met me and ridden with me,dont worry it wont happen if you pinch my line on the next ride……. 😉

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Hi Ton

Morally right or wrong doesn't matter…
    …just please watch your back, house, friends and family for a while. If the guy is a real badass (or just ffing mad, must be to face up to you!) and finds out where you live there is no limit to what he and associates can do to ruin your life.

Sorry, am sure it will just blow over.
    Paul

IanHaughton
    Free Member

People get into a car and turn into something demonic at times thinking they own the road and like all here I too wince when road riding as a car whistles past close enough to clean the side of my my spd's.

I doubt he'll drive so close to a cyclist next time and whilst I don't condon violence it's a thumbs up from me as it sounds like he deserved it, enjoy tonight's kip!

surfer
    Free Member

In answer to the OP, yes.

hora
    Free Member

You are a beach ball and I claim my five pounds.

I'm also 6ft/16stone and can officially confirm that I am cuddly with GSOH 😀

ton

hora, on a differant note, are you coming on the ogden ride??

backhander
    Free Member

**** hell, I'm 14st and thats enough. You must need some tough ass wheels.

hora
    Free Member

Calderdale? Im in. Ive just been around Hebden/Calderdale this aft. Even sat on the carpark wall overlooking the canal was stunning 😀

ton

calderdale 4th october……. 8)

hora
    Free Member

(Makes mental note not to offend ton in anyway or threaten him until at least the 5th)

snowslave

When someone appears to be about to punch your lights in and acts hyper aggressive, in the heat of the moment it is wrong but understandable to react like you did. I think we are almost programmed to react like that? Fight or flight etc.

But…..

You hit someone, they could just fall and bang their head and die. Seriously, is it worth someone's life and you being banged up?

StumpyBlurRider
    Free Member

sounds like a normal day in london

chunky_pott
    Free Member

Personally my legs go all weak and wibbly at the first sign of confrontation and I'd have pegged it the second he stopped his car but I do honestly believe there's nothing wrong with some old fashioned fisticuffs if its a fair fight and I think you did the right thing. If I'd have witnessed someone gobbing off like that I'd have been willing you to hit him, cause as much as diplomacy is the correct thing its just lost on some people. Yeah you could walk away but then he'll think his behaviour is acceptable; both his driving and aggresion. Maybe now he'll reflect a bit and think twice next time.

hora
    Free Member

Agree totally snowslave and Im one of the most relaxed people in a heated situation. A few years ago I was being pushed repeatdly into a group of blokes (I was v.drunk) whilst my mates called one of them a poof (I think he was) and the brother in the other group said 'do that one more time and thats it'- it all kicked off in the bar and punches etc were thrown. The other group were numerically superior and were thrown out (I hadnt thrown one punch)- I quickly sobered up though when I realised they were all waiting across the road for us us to leave so I went over alone and said 'look, we go this way- you go the other?'. Thankfully they realised I was battered/innocent before and let us all go (but the brother did bend my ear off about the poof-bit).

However, if someone either swings/hits you or its immminent under certain circumstances then its self defence…. If you follow it up (IMO) then its uncalled for/manslaughter/etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 207 total)

The topic ‘sometimes, is violence the only answer…………….on a commute.’ is closed to new replies.