Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Sometimes I hate bikes
  • scandal42
    Free Member

Day of maintenance and need to get this off my chest before I throw the bloody thing in the lake.

3 rounded chainring bolts, **** cheese based shit, now cant remove 30t narrow wide as threads in recess and nothing to grip.

Cassette is stuck solid, will not budge a **** inch.

Superstar hubs are a **** **** to service, drift out my arse, nothing to grip against no matter how hard you push the inner sleeve down.

I suppose the only positive is I cant commence the extender 40t installation and **** that up as I have no chainring and a stuck old cassette.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Chainring bolts: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TruVativ-Steel-Chainring-Bolt-Set/dp/B001GSQO3W

Steel, black, with spacer, no silly tool…

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Steel bolts are your friend..

scandal42
    Free Member

Would be if I could get the shite Cheddar ones off.

Rear hub bearings out, now to **** up the installation of the new one.

tomhoward

This is why I love my lbs. They do the swearing on my behalf 8)

tomd
    Free Member

You can drill the chainring bolt heads off to get them out with a suitably large drill bit. For the bearings, a bigger hammer so you can pound the wheel to destruction.

schmiken

If you’re really struggling with it chap, feel free to bring it over with a cider or two!

scandal42
    Free Member

Cheers mate, I’ve put the thing away for today 😥

Did the rear bearings, front are a pig.

Cassette is stuck like nothing I have ever encountered, broke my chain whip in my attempts to free it. I purposely dont over tightenistumped.dm stumped.

The rounded chainring bolts are still, erm, rounded.

Tommorows ride is poatponed

fr0sty125
    Free Member

So the cassette lock ring just wont give? On the front there is a little sleeve between the pair of bearings that you need to push to one end before you have enough of a lip to hammer the other one out.

scandal42
    Free Member

Yep, stuck solid, tried boiling water, old seatpost over a spanner for extra leverage. Lest it with some gt85 soaking in overnight and will try tomorrow.

I know whag you mean on the hub, rear had plenty of float to create a lip on the bearing, front barely moves.

Mike, appreciate the offer of help, with which aspect of my mechanical fuckwittery can you help? 😀

nickjb
    Free Member

Hammer a torx bit into the chairing bolts. The hammering helps break the stickiness and the torx bit should bite enough to turn.

scandal42
    Free Member

Tried it, these must be made of a special, extra soft cheese 🙂

Also tried a flat head, same result 😈

dingabell
    Free Member

Loving the use of ‘fuckwittery’.
    Every day’s a school day on here.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Sometimes I hate bikes’ is closed to new replies.