Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 208 total)
  • Somethink annoying
  • IanMunro
    Free Member

I also hate the people who do conform to my narrow views. They’re just obsequious gits trying to get on my good side 🙂

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Teh.

zokes
    Free Member

tomdebruin – Key Master
    it really annoys me how it says ‘favorite’ on this site

Well, you’re the man who can change that! I’ve been harping on about it for weeks now…. 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    AndyP
    Free Member

Like "mountain biking", which should be "mountain bike riding"?
    absolutely. ‘biking’ is a horrible word.

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

"Brought" instead of "bought"
    Really makes me angry.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

zokes – Member

tomdebruin – Key Master
    it really annoys me how it says ‘favorite’ on this site

Well, you’re the man who can change that! I’ve been harping on about it for weeks now….

Then there’s the use of "Forums" as a plural, when we all know it should be "Fora".

Now, obviously someone will be along in a second with the dictionary, but they’ll be wrong. Fora is the correct Latin plural and it’s a Latin word. So nerrr.

miketually
    Free Member

Then there’s the use of "Forums" as a plural, when we all know it should be "Fora"

Ahem:

forum n. (pl. forums)

1) a meeting or medium for an exchange of views.
    2) (pl. fora) (in an ancient Roman city) a public square or marketplace used for judicial and other business. Origin ME: from Latin, lit. what is out of doors.

Fagus
    Free Member

Then there’s the use of "Forums" as a plural, when we all know it should be "Fora"

[pedantic mode on]There should be a full stop at the end of that sentence.[pedantic mode off]

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Like "mountain biking", which should be "mountain bike riding"?

actually "mountain bike rider participation" to remove the final wicked "ing"

dictionary.com has:

fo?rum [fawr-uhm, fohr-uhm]
    –noun, plural fo?rums, fo?ra ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

(I love the edit feature….!)

smiffy

Sports people who reply to an interview question and use both yes (yeah) and no in the same answer.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Fora is the correct Latin plural and it’s a Latin word. So nerrr.

I missed that on first reading, but perhaps the writer has forgotten that we are using English ?

amo,amas,amat,hic,haic,hoc

perhaps it’s churlish to suggest that this is not in fact, "The marketplace or public square of an ancient Roman city", and at the time parchment was not able to connect to the interweb…

crazy-legs

Sports people who reply to an interview question and use both yes (yeah) and no in the same answer.

It’s not just sports, my former boss used to answer most questions like that, by starting "Yeah, no it’s…."
    And verbification as pointed out by Captain Flasheart was annoyingly prevalent in the Olympics coverage: "And more news from the velodrome where …. has medalled in the …. event"
    Has WON A MEDAL! Not MEDALLED.

And breathe…

juan
    Free Member

Can we please make it a regular friday thread?
    So I can keep in touch with the correct use of the English language.
    I am fearing that one year in France with no or very little practice, will not do any good to my rather poor grammar.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Has WON A MEDAL! Not MEDALLED
    From the OED
    1. trans. To decorate or honour with a medal; to confer a medal upon as a mark of distinction. Usu. in pass.

1822 BYRON Let. 4 May (1979) IX. 154 He was medalled. 1860 THACKERAY Nil nisi Bonum in Roundabout Papers (1899) 174 Irving went home medalled by the King. 1900 Nation (N.Y.) 4 Oct. 269/2 It would have been much more to the point, anyway, had he [sc. Herr Menzel] exhibited and been medalled [at the Paris Exhibition] as illustrator. 1973 L. M. BOSTON Memory in House ix. 120 Outside it I was introduced to the young illustrator who was also being medalled. 1985 New Yorker 18 Mar. 125/1 He was eulogized..and was renowned and medalled for his war record.
    2. intr. U.S. Sport. To win a medal (i.e., to come first, second, or third in a sporting event or competition).

1966 Valley News (Van Nuys, Calif.) 9 June 34 Divers from the Rita Curtis..Club gold-medaled in all of the events but three… In the boys competition the following RCVAC divers medaled:..Phil Loyola, 2nd; [etc.]. 1979 Washington Post 19 June D6/2 Our women are coming along beautifullythey’ve medaled well recently. 1984 Marathon & Distance Runner Oct. 18/1 Gabriella Dorio made her break too early, otherwise she could have medalled. 1994 Coloradoan (Fort Collins) 6 Feb. E1/1 U.S. bobsledders haven’t medaled since 1956.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

In the boys competition the following RCVAC divers medaled

thak’ll learn ya crazy-legs 🙂

pypdjl
    Free Member

so "fraction of" could mean "bigger than".

That would be an "improper fraction of".

mogrim

Verbification…….

The horrid trait of taking a noun and creating a new verb therefrom

Verbing rocks.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

when we say "a fraction of something", I think we usually imply a smallish fraction. I’m not sure where the notional limit would be, something less than 1/8th I think, above which we’d call it a "part" or a "considerable fraction". Interestingly, as it’s unspoken, perhaps people have different ideas of just how big a part counts as a fraction in these terms ?

UncleFred
    Free Member

You lot would explode if you lived in the BVI. Grammar here follows a whole different set of rules and drives me bonkers.

Where a word ends in T or ED it’s not pronounced so "ACT" is pronounced "ACK", "BAKED" would be pronounced "BAKE" ie, "Tonights special is bake chicken".

The one that realy annoys me though is "Police" used as singular and plural without being prefaced with "The" and "is and are" are frequently used in the wrong context. Even in the media.

ie Police is investigating the Murder, or "Winston is a Police".

miketually
    Free Member

From the OED
    1. trans. To decorate or honour with a medal; to confer a medal upon as a mark of distinction. Usu. in pass.

Chris hoy was medalled by the IOC. To say that Chris Hoy medalled is incorrect.

Bunnyhop

I stood or I was standing.
    Not, I was stood, arrgg.
    Would people say…. I was slid down the slide no.

crazy-legs

You lot would explode if you lived in the BVI.

Borough of Village Idiots?

thak’ll learn ya crazy-legs
    Er no, accoridng to miketuelly above, my post stands as being correct. So there. 😛

aracer
    Free Member

Chris hoy was medalled by the IOC. To say that Chris Hoy medalled is incorrect.

Unless you’re a septic, and we’re not (most of us).

nickc

BVI British Virgin Isles?

Gotten is a normal word, some people just don’t know where to use it. Also, can’t get wound up about decimate, the original use was killing one in ten, but as SFB continues to tell us, languages evolve, and now it’s taken to mean to "destroy utterly"

loving pedant threads…. 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think Humpty Dumpty has the last say:

‘When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’

coffeeking
    Free Member

Oriented annoys me too.

I don’t think the fact that the language "evolves" so fast is a good thing, it makes learning it harder and means less of it gets used and fewer people bother to learn the correct ways – they just get lazy. The one thing I’ve noticed moving from England to Glasgow is the fact that the people I work with now have a much larger vocabulary than the English people I worked with (on the whole, certain exceptions) and the students seem to have a far better grasp of grammar. Its really nice to see (hear!), I can understand their every word and they can create a descriptive and concise sentence. In England the vast majority seem to start with "err" or "innit just". They might both know the same detail but Crist do the Scots sound more intelligent when they talk! Maybe it shouldn’t, but it really does affect the way you think of them, and it affects their written output too, of course.

Obviously we all use scrappy English on forums for speed of response so I’m not professing to be perfect!

Cooroo
    Free Member

Anyone listen to Stephen Fry’s podcasts? The latest is on this very topic and he’s had a bit of a change of heart. He ridiculed miserable gits who spend their lives moaning on about incorrect apostrophes. Almost converted me…

As he says, Shakespeare made verbs out of nouns all the time!

coffeeking
    Free Member

U-turn Fry, don’t listen to him, says whatever gets a laugh.

Sandwich

Our septic friend like to surveille things rather than observe or watch!

chakaping
    Free Member

On this very site (pre-hack) "Singletrack is a mountain bike magazine based out of Europe".

Since you lot are waaaaay more anal than me, I’m sure I don’t need to explain why this is so very wrong.

Top.Dog
    Free Member

for sure

geoffj

cordage, signage and transportation – always used when a shorter more simpler word would do.
    utilised – nearly always used when used is appropriate
    people how use headed when the appropriate English term is heading.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Shakespeare spelled his own name 5 different ways, and I found Jane Austen using different spellings for quite a few words in ‘Pride & Prejudice’

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

In a sandwich/coffee shop: ‘Can I get the tuna mayo…’. You’re in Bracknell, not Manhattan, where we say ‘please may I?’

On the train: ‘this train will shortly be arriving into…’

I’ve given up on the apostrophe. I even find myself in two minds about using it at all, because I know some people will think I’ve used it incorrectly and judge me, when in fact they’d be wrong.

Slightly more worryingly for me, I’ve started instead to get annoyed when people use three full stops … instead of an ellipses … or a hyphen — where they should have used a dash, like that. :-/

chakaping
    Free Member

Lynne Truss has so much to answer for, I’m glad to hear Stephen Fry has distanced himself from the amateur army of petty pedants who like to sneer at greengrocers’ signs.

I’m willing to forgive most minor typos and lax usage of English, but there are a few things that "boil my piss" (including that).

Me: "Have you got the remote control?"
    Wife: "I do."
    Me: "You mean you have?"
    Wife: "I mean I do have."
    Me: "No you don’t, you were trying to be all American."
    Wife: "Shut up."

Onzadog
    Free Member

My pet peeve that I see at work all the time, is people putting a decimal point inbetween the hours and minutes when they write the time. 4.30 instead of 4:30.

4 point 3 hours is somethink (sic) entirely different.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Me: "Have you got the remote control?"
    Wife: "I do."
    Me: "You mean you have?"
    Wife: "I mean I do have."
    Me: "No you don’t, you were trying to be all American."
    Wife: "Shut up."

I do [have] is perfectly acceptable?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

init.!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’ll go again….

People saying "Haitch" instead of "aitch" for the letter H.
    People saying "I’m just itching myself" – NO YOU’RE NOT!
    Can you borrow me a… [starting to see red]

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 208 total)

The topic ‘Somethink annoying’ is closed to new replies.