Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Something loose inside Mavic rim
  • matlockmeat
    Free Member

Just building a new wheel up and I can hear something rattling around inside the rim.

Tracked it down to a piece of metal that sits either side of the join. Now I guess these are supposed to be bonded in to aid strength at the join but one of them is loose and making a right racket as I spin the wheel slowly.

I know once up to speed I won’t hear it but surely it shouldn’t do this.

Any one else encountered this?

watsontony
    Free Member

no but i know what it is and i would send it back. cba explaining if no-one has sorted you by the mornings i will show you pics of what i think it is.

basically you rim is not bonded properly. I think

teasel
    Free Member

I came across this on my recent wheelquest. I think there’s a technique of tapping it with a centre punch or something and it stops it from moving. Google it – should be reasonably easy to find.

coatesy
    Free Member

Yep, small block of ali used in the joining process, there’ll be a dent either side of the joint in the rim’s well, a sharp tap with a centre punch in these will usually fix it. Alternatively, if it’s a new rim you could alsotake it back.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

Ok tried to take this back but have been told its a common problem and Mavic won’t even recognise it.

I’ve been told to glue it, not exactly what you want to hear about a brand new item.

It’s poor quality I think. As an owner of about 20 Mavic rims maybe it’s time to move on.

Strangely enough the only reason I knew what it was is because an old D521 I have developed the problem a few months back bit that’s had years of use.

amedias
    Free Member

Seen this before on a couple of my own rims, and used to see it regulalry building for customers, if the centre punch doesn’t work for you a small blob of holt-melt glue from a glue gun normally works.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Had it on a 717 rim. The braking surface worse out and the spoke eyelets cracked before anything happened to the join. It’ll be absolutely fine.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

Hopefully nothing to worry about, just annoying. Because I know it’s there I can hear it all the time.

eulach

I had this on a Hope Hoop with a Stans rim. Apparently it’s the heatsink that protects the rim during the welding process and has no structural relevance. Hope customer service told me to stick a glob of glue on it to stop it rattling which I did and it appears to have worked.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Something loose inside Mavic rim’ is closed to new replies.