Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Something from Nothing – Foo Fighters
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Has there ever been such a blatant rip-off of another song’s riff (Dio’s Holy Diver).

Bloody thieves.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

The whole of AC/DC’s Airborne’s back catalogue?

DezB
    Free Member

It’s probably because all the boring dad-rock riffs have been used up.

scud
    Free Member

Funny relationship with Foo Fighters, think he is a great front man and nice bloke, but i always prefer his side projects or when he is with naother band (like Them Crooked Vultures, QOTSA etc). I’ve seen them live twice at festivals and they really do know how to get a crowd going, but there recorded music just leaves me cold, to safe and dull

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Latest album is dull. Might have to give it another go…

I love the Foo Fighters, I really do but apart from Wasting Light which I thought was an album full of decent stuff, all their other albums tend to be 2/3/4 decent songs and the rest average.

Won’t stop listening to them though and I really don’t see the correlation between Holy Diver and Something From Nothing?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Ah, the riff…

I agree 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

yes! The riff. The first part of it is identical, then it just trails off slightly differently towards the end.

Still, hearing it did cause me to get myself a Dio playlist together over the weekend 🙂

donks
    Free Member

The jam did a song with a nigh on exact riff as tax man by the Beatles

DezB
    Free Member

Recently was this? 😉

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The Foo Fighters have become their generations version of The Eagles.

CountZero

Has there ever been such a blatant rip-off of another song’s riff (Dio’s Holy Diver).

Bloody thieves.
    Never knowingly heard anything of Dio’s, but in my experience it’s not hard to find almost identical riffs being used by any number of bands, Zeppelin in particular have been criticised over the years for ‘borrowing’ blues riffs.
    I would respectfully suggest you calm down dear and put a record on and have a nice cup of tea.

zilog6128

the Foos will definitely have heard Holy Diver though, they have been around a long time & are very knowledgeable musically.

RustySpanner

DezB – Member
    It’s probably because all the boring dad-rock riffs have been used up.

But repetition can be fun.
    Apart from your music posts, obviously.
    🙂

nickdavies

It’s a rock blues riff. I’ve just googled it as I’ve not heard that foos song, and I don’t see it. Is it the lead break/solo you mean?

Not a patch on holy diver anyway!

mikey74
    Free Member

I love Dio, and Holy Diver, but I think it’s different enough to be acceptable. The song, overall, is quite different and doesn’t draw comparison to HD.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

One of my favourite tracks by any band but I do see the comparison. But, watch the documentary, the episode where they create this track and it’s not a blatant rip-off. I think Joe Walsh is on it.

The Jam’s “Start” is Tax Man, Weller straight up said it. ELO did something very similar.
    Noel Gallagher ripped-off Marc Bolan. It happens.

CountZero

It happens.

Yes, all the time, and has done for decades. I continually hear songs with bits that are naggingly familiar, something that reminds me of another song I may have heard somewhere else; there are, after all, only so many musical notes available.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Something from Nothing – Foo Fighters’ is closed to new replies.