Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Someone's new bike purchase hasn't gone down well…
  • wwaswas

A very (almost) serious question…
    My husband has just spent a horrifying (HORRIFYING) amount of money on a new road bike (of which he already has 2). The first time I’m aware of this little “treat” was finding it (freshly delivered) in our dining room (oh, it’s worth mentioning at this point husband has slipped out to work and we’re not due to see one another for a few days). Am I so angry I want to sever his Achilles (plural) so he can only look at it!
    No discussion about it, not even a whisper.
    I’m all for treats and I understand “boys and their toys” Christ, it was me who got him into the hobby, but we’re married for Pete’s sake! Note; we both work and I haven’t bought the Chloe handbag I’ve been ogling in the spring collection.
    So my question is this; How do I punish him without resulting in me serving a custodial sentence?

You’ll need FB to read the comments which are from all sides of the argument and quite entertaining.

https://www.facebook.com/spottedworthing/posts/801568919975002?fref=nf

Notter
    Free Member

Husband = amateur 🙂

Though he does score points for disappearing

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Is it really a three and half grand bike. Or is that just what he’s told her?

trailhound101

That ‘Spotted Worthing’ FB page is brilliant! Pro-level ranting. STW-ers need to up their game!

steve_b77
    Free Member

There’s some right frikkin mentalists out there.

DaRC_L

😯 Is 3.5k a horrifying amount of money on a bike now…

Though he does score points for disappearing

and then loses them for leaving his bike in the dining room – doesn’t he have a shed ffs 🙂

wwaswas

loses them for leaving his bike in the dining room – doesn’t he have a shed ffs

this x 1000

It’s like he wanted to be caught!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Both sound like a couple of brain washed consumers.

If they spent a bit more time together, instead of working away to afford stuff they don’t need, perhaps they’d lead happier, more fulfilled lives, where lots of bikes and handbags wouldn’t come into the equation.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

3.5k on ROAD bike, yes that’s pretty horrifying.

DrP

This popped up in my FB feed the other day as a friend commented on it.

I got bored of reading all the mental self righteous comments defending either party after a few minutes..
    Top level bonkersness at its best.

The cream was that the OP was obviously communicating via the medium of the ‘spotted Worthing admin’…brilliant!

DrP

devash
    Free Member

Both sound like a couple of brain washed consumers.

If they spent a bit more time together, instead of working away to afford stuff they don’t need, perhaps they’d lead happier, more fulfilled lives, where lots of bikes and handbags wouldn’t come into the equation.

Spot on. Sounds like a horrible relationship destined for divorce.

aracer
    Free Member

Indeed – I’d hate to be seen on something so cheap.

jekkyl

3!! road bikes!
    so that’s one for tarmac, another one for tarmac and errr another one for tarmac.

plyphon
    Free Member

Yeah but that Chloe handbag is, like, SO in this season

binners

I reckon he’s disappeared on a 3 day coke and hookers binge. The bike was clearly left in the dining room as a decoy

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

hahah nice one binners

TiRed

Only three road bikes. Amateur.

phinbob

Looks like he is testing the practical boundaries of the N=D-1 formula (D being the theoretical number of bikes you can have before your partner divorces you).

Always tricky finding the limits without destructive testing….

Only way is to brazen it out at this point and enjoy the ride.

stwhannah

Cut down the integrated seatpost to fit her before he gets back?

6079smithw
    Free Member

Deserves everything he gets for a) buying awful road bikes and b) getting married.

Trekster

Must confess to having been caught last week 😳

aracer
    Free Member

buying a road bike or getting married, Trekster?

imnotverygood

As the saying goes. It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission…

maxtorque

just £3.5k ? bl**dy amateurs! 😆

tom200

1 golden rule, make sure your new bike is the same colour as the old one.

Didn’t even bring it round the back! As said before…..bloody amateur

cannondaleking
    Free Member

He’s in for a world of trouble when he gets home lol. And things like this happening are why I am and will always be single “no wife happy life”

allfankledup

My wife forced me to buy another road bike last week. Honest.

She doesn’t do handbags fortunately…

therevokid
    Free Member

only 3.5k …. novice. my wife caught me looking at a new
    madone. the, one sided, conversation started with “if you even
    think ….” guess I’ll stay with the mason for now 😉

tomhoward

This is why I’m stockpiling bikes now, while I’m single. That way any future lady admirers will already be accepting of them. So issues like the above won’t happen.

Been single rather a while now….

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

The only reason Munqechick is annoyed I bought a fat bike, taking my N to 7, is because she’s only got 6 😉

hora
    Free Member

You own SEVEN bikes?!?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Seven, fairly reasonable when the ht gets turned into a commuter it will be 5 for me and maybe something else in the pipeline

(also single)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Some people have very odd relationships

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m trying to go from 7 to 5. It’s not easy

kerley
    Free Member

And things like this happening are why I am and will always be single “no wife happy life”

Or alternatively you could have an open and honest marriage where you talk about things, are happy to go out and buy things that you want without having to hide them or feel like you are going to be in trouble (due to the fact we are not 8 years old so don’t get into trouble!)

davidjey
    Free Member

I bought a new road bike recently with my own money.

My gf bought a posh handbag recently with her own money.

Bills and big joint purchases all come out of one joint pot of money; the leftover we are free to spend on whatever we like.

I don’t really understand people who don’t have some sort of arrangement like this; I mean do they argue about whose turn it is to pay the rent/mortgage each month?

stewartc
    Free Member

I live for the subterfuge of a bike purchase, its what keeps my marriage fresh (note: to me that is).

BigDummy
    Free Member

I live for the subterfuge of a bike purchase, its what keeps my marriage fresh

MrsDummy is very accepting of the semi-annual new bike. I have to squeeze the toothpaste from the middle and send pictures of my penis to random women to get a frisson of naughtiness.

stewartc
    Free Member

Semi-annual, amateur!

chakaping
    Free Member

You own SEVEN bikes?!?

He probably rides them all too. It’s not a problem is it?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Someone's new bike purchase hasn't gone down well…’ is closed to new replies.