Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Someone seems to have hacked my wifes email contacts…..
  • MoreCashThanDash

I received a mysterious email from my wife with a very dodgy looking attachment that I didn’t open, and just deleted the email. She hadn’t sent it.

Her brother has just rung to say he got it as well – apparently the mailing list included most of her contacts, including work colleagues and fellow Guide leaders……

Anything we can do at this end to stop it happening again or undo the damage?

allthepies
    Free Member

Do you use BT Internet ?

Edit: looks at OP’s profile and sees btinternet email addy. In which case:-

http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/see-yahoo-later-bt-ditches-web-giant-as-email-provider-after-10-years-1155492

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/internet-security/9918214/BT-investigates-spike-in-Yahoo-email-spamming.html

Happened to two people I know in the last couple of weeks.

Change yours and hers webmail password.

jules.b
    Free Member

Are you on BT/Yahoo? They seem to have hacking problems at the mo. Change the password ASAP.

Tom-B
    Free Member

My yahoo account has been hacked twice in the last 6 months.

PiknMix
    Free Member

My yahoo account got done last week, rather embarrassingly an ex’s mum got sent spam but she just thought I was getting back in touch! Cue lengthy back and forth emails catching up on the last 10 years!

MoreCashThanDash

Cheers – passwords changed.

Just hope no one who got the email opened it!

Legoman
    Free Member

Twice in last couple of months.
    Annoyingly it’s a dormant account which we’re just waiting for BT to close down (takes them 3 months apparently, which coincidentally is about the same length of time it took them to get our note rent connection working)

stumpy01

My mum’s yahoo account got done a few weeks ago. If it’s the same thing, then it’s apparently just a bit of adware that is doing the rounds. She clicked on a link that was mailed to her by someone who had the same thing happen.

I told her how to do a Microsoft Security Essentials scan and it sorted it out no problems.

Have you run some kind of virus scan, adware/malware/spyware scan? If not, I’d get that done as well as change your password.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sis in laws BT account also done and I presume that’s what led to my aol one being done…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Someone seems to have hacked my wifes email contacts…..’ is closed to new replies.