Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Someone is giving me money. Why?
  • freddyg
    Free Member

Tonyd – our Postie is a top chap (rural area, first name terms etc). I’ll mention it to him if I see him at the weekend.

rogg
    Free Member

Another thought about the post – you haven’t received an empty envelope or one containing a blank sheet of paper have you? I had that, turned out someone had tried to set up a redirect service for my mail, and the letter was testing if it was in place or not. A whole bunch of credit card applications were made in my name at the same time.
    I spoke to the police and the Royal Mail and they mentioned something about making sure your entry on the electoral roll is up to date, if it’s not, it makes identity theft easier. Mine wasn’t.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You are not going to get heavies come round. Its a sophisticated fraud not a armed robbery. Want to get the heavies in? More than ten grand is agvailable

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DezB
    Free Member

I reckon the bank know more than they are letting on.

We have received your First Payment ??

How do they know it’s the first? of a number? Payment? For what?

Close the account. They can’t pay any more into it then.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Just thinking back to when it happened to me, the thinking at the time from the bank was that the account was set up & either it was somebody in the house as mentioned before, or it was somebody who thought I would assume it was junk mail & shred it. T
    hen after a couple of months they could change the address & they have a working acct in my name.
    Problem with that though is why do it with £10k though, why not do it with a little amount?

bigsi
    Free Member

To the OP – Keep an eye on BOTH credit reference agencies (Experian & Equifax). Financial institutions should update both agencies as to accounts & their activity but that doesn’t always happen.

Also keep in mind that it can take up to 3 months for the credit file to be updated so if the account was only opened a month ago it prob won’t be on there yet & nor will any searches that will have been done.

Good luck.

flow
    Free Member

So whats the difference in you withdrawing the money, and them confiscating the money?

Either way, who ever put it in their in the first place is 10k down and is going to be at your door with pick axe handles and a can of unleaded.

I would rather that happen whilst being 10k better off, you could use it to get a shotgun and a licence ready for the visit.

flowerpower
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    I reckon the bank know more than they are letting on.

We have received your First Payment ??

How do they know it’s the first? of a number? Payment? For what?

Close the account. They can’t pay any more into it then.

Fair point – if it was a straight deposit account wouldn’t you expect them to talk about a deposit rather than payment?

Gary_M
    Free Member

It does all seem very peculiar (and a bit scary). I have all of the paperwork in front of me now – including the pre-paid return envelope for returning the signed document to.

So the documents to set up the account haven’t been sent back to the bank yet someone can still make payments into said account?

tonyd

If he’s reported this and the police and bank are involved (as they should be) they’re not exactly going to let the OP withdraw the 10k are they?! If nothing else it’s probably classed as evidence (despite being numbers on a screen), if he withdraws it he could well be implicating himself.

I’d be more afraid of bankers trying to make me liable for any losses they might incur than I would be of blokes in donkey jackets wielding pick axes.

tonyd

if it was a straight deposit account wouldn’t you expect them to talk about a deposit rather than payment?

That’s a very good point, payment could also indicate whoever made the payment is expecting it back at some point, with interest?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Not really, if I send money to someone online from my bank account I click on ‘payments’ to do it.

Anyway I would have thought the bank could very easily tell you excatly where the money came from. But now that you’ve reported it as fraud and its not your account then I don’t think they’ll tell you now.

freddyg
    Free Member

bigsi
    To the OP – Keep an eye on BOTH credit reference agencies (Experian & Equifax)

Do they hold separate sets of information then? I didn’t realise that.

<wanders off to Experian>

tonyd

True enough. I think I need to step away from the thread before I turn into a paranoid Miss Marple. I suppose I could always do some work.

piha
    Free Member

Blimin eck, I think a few people on STW watch it bit too much telly. 😆

freddyg
    Free Member

<comes running back from Experian, screaming>

Right then, just got back from Experian and there was an identity search performed on me by Tesco the day before they sent the first letter. Nothing else though.

bigsi
    Free Member

freddyg – There shouldn’t be but on occasion there is, as you have just found out. 🙁

You should be able to set up accounts with both to keep an eye on what’s going on. You can also mark your credit files with notes IIRC although lenders won’t look at this as part of the credit score.

I would check both agencies on a weekly basis at least to see what is going on.

It might be worth speaking to both agencies to see if there is any way an alert can be set up so if a search is carried out you are notified or the lender carrying out the search is warned.

Hopefully this will stop any more accounts being taken out without your knowledge.

Again. Good luck.

freddyg
    Free Member

Cheers bigsi. I’m drafting a mail now.

freddyg
    Free Member

Update: Following a chat with the CID friend of mine, he pointed me at the Fraud dept and the local rural office.

I had a lovely e-mail from them who told me … “In July this year the government announced changes to how Fraud was dealt with by setting up Action Fraud which is a national Fraud reporting agency. The contact number for them is 0300 1232040 they take the details from you and give you a reference number which you in turn give to Tesco. Tesco Bank have their own internal Fraud Investigators who liaise with the Police in which ever area of the country the evidence indicates that the offence took place. Tesco Bank is the aggrieved party in this matter as they are the party who have been deceived.

However it may be prudent for you to do a credit check on yourself to see if anything untoward appears that you have no knowledge of. I hope I have explained things clearly if you have any other concerns please re-contact us and I will endeavour to assist you further.”

Ah. Okay. That’s alright then. Thanks.

I’ve replied along the lines of “but they know where we live!”

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve replied along the lines of “but they know where we live!”

So what do you want, 24 hour protection?

If this is criminal activity, and I highly doubt it is, then I think whoever has done it would be fairly aware that they may lose £10k.

glenh
    Free Member

Are you sure you aren’t up to some sort of nefarious activities while sleep walking?

morgs
    Free Member

send it to me. I’ll sit on it in my account for ‘safe keeping’ and I’ll split the interest / capital with you in 5 years 😉

I am very heavy…so heavies don’t bother me 😆

freddyg
    Free Member

If this is criminal activity, and I highly doubt it is

… so you think it is perfectly kosha to use the identity of someone else to open an account and deposit £10k into it? Cool. That’s alright then 😀

So what do you want, 24 hour protection?

Not really, as I know it is not practical or possible. However, I would have preferred some reassurance rather than flippant dismissal.

We may move in different circles GaryM, but this is something I am not at all familiar or comfortable with.

I am not asking for sympathy or a cuddle; I posted this for comment/discussion and maybe as a warning to others.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

any update?

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Someone is giving me money. Why?’ is closed to new replies.