Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Somebody stop me, I'm thinking of voting Green in the council elections
  • whitegoodman
    Free Member

UKIP is a red herring, I’m not actually considering them if only to negate Mrs Goodman and all her girlfriends who are all voting UKIP on the immigration ticket, again not something I feel sufficiently strongly about, it’s not the immigrants that are to blame it is our own internal benefits and legal aid system, again it’s a red herring, the debate here is how good or potentially dangerous to society are the Greens.

I’d like to see more Green Investment, renewable energy via tide, solar, better organised electric vehicles with oil companies persuaded to offer battery rental and standardisation of batteries across all vehicles as an example.

I believe Water, Power is a fundamental human right and not for profit and certainly not for the profit of Foreign owned organisations that might in their own way be xenophobic, I work with the French and they definitely do not like us as a nation, at a personal level relations are fine, but nationally they are far from it.

Sorry I’m rambling, don’t want to rant, but don’t want to be wasting my time voting for nutters either..

lazybike
    Free Member

So, it’s either them or UKIP, can’t bring myself to vote for the other three, what would you do?

vote green…..

TooTall
    Free Member

Just to say, there are Green candidates in places other than Brighton. Some of them have been around for quite a while and have been doing some real good.

grum
    Free Member

it’s not the immigrants that are to blame it is our own internal benefits and legal aid system

To blame for what?

whitegoodman
    Free Member

grum – Member
    it’s not the immigrants that are to blame it is our own internal benefits and legal aid system
    To blame for what?

Encouraging our potentially lower paid workforce to do nothing thereby creating a labour market for overseas economic migrants, that and a legal workforce on an Industrial scale funded by the taxpayer on both sides of the ‘asylum’ fence created by the wife of the last encumbant in No 10 who is also a lawyer and works for…

KonaTC

Only have the choice of;

Labour – wasted £ millions when times were financially good
    Conservative – making sure the poor pay for the mistakes of Labour
    Lib Dem – use to be a real option before Clegg sold his sole for 15 mins of fame

So that leave UKIP

As I don’t have a Green Party option it’s another police commissioner vote for me

“None of the above Thank You”

grum
    Free Member

Encouraging our potentially lower paid workforce to do nothing

The vast majority of benefits go to pensioners and those in work, so this is a massive red herring.

On your second point, I’m not really sure what you’re saying – do you really believe asylum seekers and legal fees relating to them are a significant problem/issue in this country?

mrmoofo

Just to say, there are Green candidates in places other than Brighton. Some of them have been around for quite a while and have been doing some real good.

Yeah, but we are lucky enough to have a Green MP , as well …

dazh

Encouraging our potentially lower paid workforce to do nothing thereby creating a labour market for overseas economic migrants, that and a legal workforce on an Industrial scale funded by the taxpayer on both sides of the ‘asylum’ fence created by the wife of the last encumbant in No 10 who is also a lawyer and works for…

???

By ‘encouragement’ do you mean the £56.80 JSA per week for under 25s and £71.71 for over 25s? I see what you mean, what the hell am I doing working when I can live the life of Reilly on £72 a week?

whitegoodman
    Free Member

I’m not going to be trolled into a discussion with the big hitting left about the idol work shy, simply put if there were no vacancies, why are there so many foreign workers present here? If you want a discussion about the benefit system and immigrants being bought cars to save the cost of taxi fares in their search for ‘work’ then start a thread about it., This one is about Greens, and I doubt they will be calling for greater cuts to the state unemployment benefit, so voting for them will not be against the interest of the left leaning lycra brigade will it?

Oh and I don’t live in Brighton either, no idea where I gave that impression.

Edit: and yes I do believe that New Labour politicians in signing up to the various human rights charters knew exactly what they were doing and how it would benefit the legal industry, even now, the cost of the Abu Quatada fiasco, born on both sides by us the taxpayer as both highly paid sets of lawyers on the one hand the Government on the other funded by legal aid, battle it out, millions have been spent on legal aid in pursuit of asylum claims..

grum
    Free Member

immigrants being bought cars to save the cost of taxi fares

Sounds like classic made-up bullshit to me. Any evidence this actually happens?

whitegoodman
    Free Member

grum – Member
    immigrants being bought cars to save the cost of taxi fares
    Sounds like classic made-up bullshit to me. Any evidence this actually happens?

Start a thread on the subject and I will give you chapter and verse what goes on here locally to assist immigrants, if you wish, how they are bought cars, how they are head of the queue for local housing, how entire streets are now populated with rents paid for families of Roma Gypsies, how a genuine au pair who worked for Mrs Goodman identified criminal gypsies and detailed what happens the other end in this case in Slovakia. Our FD’s wife is a local social worker and deals with it every day, but it’s another tale in another thread, if you really want to open that debate and further fuel UKIP’s case, personally I’d rather stick to green issues.

wwaswas

even now, the cost of the Abu Quatada fiasco

You do know that the human rights legislation being argued about is UK not European law about deporting people to a place where they may not receive a fair trial?

If Teresa May/etc doesn’t like it she can change the law, or has now happened just make sure that that the trial he eventually has does not use evidence obtained under torture. Would have been easier to do the latter properly to start with and then he’d have been gone years ago.

DaRC_L

mrmoofooo – hah you don’t remember Brighton in the good old days before it became posh and full of rich ex-london types.

The Brighton that protested about the draconian car towing company (for illegal parking) via swift & personal methods 😈
    But then that’s why the Brightonians can’t afford to live in Brighton now.

The 20mph limit might be facing a legal challenge via the taxi co’s. However, I have no issue with driving there but only because Mrs D has free office parking in the centre.

The other issues you mention were all prevalent long before the Greens got in.

Brighton in reality (as a true Brightonian) seems much the same under the Greens, apart from the 20mph limit.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

TBH I think it’s a vote well made, if only because I have no faith whatsoever in any of the ‘major’ parties anymore and I believe green issues are not viewed with the seriousness they deserve.

And a vote is still a vote, even if you consider it a protest one.

grum
    Free Member

Start a thread on the subject and I will give you chapter and verse what goes on here locally to assist immigrants, if you wish, how they are bought cars, how they are head of the queue for local housing, how entire streets are now populated with rents paid for families of Roma Gypsies, how a genuine au pair who worked for Mrs Goodman identified criminal gypsies and detailed what happens the other end in this case in Slovakia.

I asked for actual evidence, not ‘I heard this down the pub right…….’

Propagating xenophobic myths makes you either a xenophobe, an idiot, or both.

The Equality and Human Rights Commission has reported on the issue of council housing and immigrants. Its findings were absolutely conclusive:
    no bias in allocation of social housing
    no evidence to support the perception that new migrants are getting priority over UK born residents
    Nor was there any evidence of abuse of the system, including ‘queue jumping’ or providing false information.
    less than two per cent of all social housing residents are people who have moved to Britain in the last five years
    nine out of ten people who live in social housing were born in the UK

And again – evidence people get free cars please? Why would the government do this? I can’t even find a woefully slanted Daily Mail article suggesting this – why don’t you get onto them and see if they’d like to write one?

You can’t keep saying ‘oh that’s for another thread’ then coming out with more bigoted nonsense and expecting it not to get challenged. Of course soon you will mention ‘PC gone mad’, because that’s usually the line people take when asked for actual evidence to back up their prejudices.

El-bent
    Free Member

yes I do believe that New Labour politicians in signing up to the various human rights charters knew exactly what they were doing and how it would benefit the legal industry, even now, the cost of the Abu Quatada fiasco, born on both sides by us the taxpayer as both highly paid sets of lawyers on the one hand the Government on the other funded by legal aid, battle it out, millions have been spent on legal aid in pursuit of asylum claims..

I get concerned when people bring up a few cases to highlight “how bad” those human rights laws are…they mainly argue about the cost of it of course, which points out where their motives are.

dazh

Our FD’s wife is a local social worker and deals with it every day

Mrs Daz works in the social care sector and she says the opposite. That immigrants get virtually no benefits, no help with housing or transport, and are pretty much left to fend for themselves, and that but for the action of a few charities, they’d all be on the streets begging. So who’s right?

Is it possible that that these ‘immigrants’ you’ve been told about are actually UK citizens who happen not to have white skin (what’s an FD by the way?) but are perfectly entitled to the help that’s available to everyone else?

whitegoodman
    Free Member

grum – Member

I asked for actual evidence, not ‘I heard this down the pub right…….’

I think you’re mistaking me for someone who actually cares one way or the other, I can give you her name, her job title, she told me, her entire department isn’t happy about it, but what would that achieve? You would only ask to see the receipt and their individual details and history. I believe her, which is enough for me, but still not enough for me to vote UKIP over the Greens, there are always bad unfair things going on, frankly I’m more annoyed at the culture of overpaying at the top of the tree than buying a few slovaks a car in order to assist in their job search if indeed it saves the money that was being paid to a Taxi company.

Neither do I think ‘human rights laws’ are a bad thing, I do however object to Politicians feathering their own legal nests in high cost adversarial resolutions.

Lifer
    Free Member

Immigration is an economic necessity.

DaRC_L

grum + 1
    benefit fraud accounts for 0.7 of the budget. Over 66% of the budget goes on OAPS.
    So all these report have 1 objective i.e. dismantling the welfare state for purely ideaoligical reasons because some numpties have been brainwashed into believing the USA is a wonderful example of a modern society.
    The recent disability changes to remove the financial aid for the severely disabled to live by themselves, impacting 20,000 people, will save less than £.5 billion. Their additional social costs will then have to be borne by local councils or the NHS. So no real saving at all.
    The changes to make ‘tax fairer to the super-rich’ will cost over £1 billion.
    So the weakest in society are being hit so the strongest/wealthiest in society can benefit.

konabunny
    Free Member

So, in theory, all we’d need to do to become a successful independent state within Europe is find an ally who’s about to murder a large, rich ethnic group by the million, and offer to provide them with financial services?

This is a lot of bollocks, though. Switzerland was heavily agricultural and then industrial right up to the 1980s. PS live how you’re propagating the Nazi lie that all Jews were rich.

Sandwich

Whitegoodman you appear to have forgotten that “anecdote” is not the singular of “data”. 0/10 must try harder.
    Likewise “hearsay” is not “evidence”. 0/10 stay behind after for extra work.

A simple examination of the rules for social housing allocation would de-bunk the “departments” views. What is their agenda?

philtricklebank

Abso-bloomin-lutely.

AdamW
    Free Member

As an aside, questionnaire seen from cycling group in Cambridge: Cambridge cycle survey answers

Yet another reason not to vote for BNP-lite UKIP.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Other than “by default” it’s odd to be left with the Greens and UKIP combo.

But where’s the problem? It’s a positive vote and much better than drawing a penis on the ballot paper, or whatever spoilers do. Okay, the result is the same but a more grown up approach. Go for it!

carloz
    Free Member

One thing the OP can be 100% confident in – the fact at some point he’ll deeply regret having voted for whoever he votes for!

retro83
    Free Member

DaRC_L – Member
    The changes to make ‘tax fairer to the super-rich’ will cost over £1 billion.

What changes are those?

whitegoodman
    Free Member

Sandwich – Member
    Whitegoodman you appear to have forgotten that “anecdote” is not the singular of “data”. 0/10 must try harder.
    Likewise “hearsay” is not “evidence”. 0/10 stay behind after for extra work.

A simple examination of the rules for social housing allocation would de-bunk the “departments” views. What is their agenda?

What is it then? Entire faiths were built on anecdotal evidence.
    If I believe, then for me, it’s true.

Am I asking you to believe? No
    Am I asking you to vote for me? No
    Am I asking you to vote with me? No
    Am I asking you for your opinion as to wether or not it would be abad thing to vote green? Yes

So it’s a simple choice, Green or UKIP and so far Green is ahead.

Going back to the evidence supplied by whoever it was back there, I think the benefits and housing that normal legal migrants are entitled to must vary from that which is used to cope with illegal migrants, you have to consider that in this part of the world we have the Channel Tunnel and the Channel Ports that during the height of the rush to repopulate South Kent hordes of them came through, daily. We live here, we see them getting out of the back of trucks, stood by the side of the railways cuttings next to the Tunnel, you, nor anyone else has the remotest idea just how many come through, so there is no credible evidence. Different departments deal with different issues and they all have different needs, not least the NHS which is invariably the first port of call.

ransos
    Free Member

Their transport policuy is a nightmare – huge parking charges, a 20 MPH speed limit through the town

Sounds great!

dazh

South Kent hordes of them came through, daily

Sounds bad. If I were you I’d be fearing for your job and locking up your women-folk. Seriously though, you might want to consider that ‘them’ are fellow human beings who most likely have left their homeland to escape some sort of horrific-ness that you or me couldn’t imagine, or who have been scammed into it by criminals in their own countries. So before you cast yourself as the victim, just try to imagine what they have been through while you sit on your veranda and observe these sub-humans bringing the neighbourhood down.

Also, illegal immigrants don’t get any benefits, because they’re, err…. illegal.

whitegoodman
    Free Member

Yes they are human beings – of a sort, unfortunately the sort that kill and eat anything they feel like, steal anything that ain’t nailed down and even that doesn’t necessarily stop them, which winds up the locals. As I said before I don’t care, eventually they get looked after, put pressure on the local social service resources which they’d have you believe were already stretched to breaking point.

I’m not victimised by them to any great extent, sub humans? Sub humans ride single speed, wear lycra, ride road bikes, play golf, work in banks, are lawyers, politicians or policemen.

We each have our own value sets and judgements far be it from me to criticise anyone for wanting more in life, it’s one planet, I didn’t ask for national borders and boundaries or areas of extreme wealth and poverty, I’d just like to vote for folk who aren’t going to continue to **** it up for the next generation, hence the extreme likelihood of voting green, since nothing anyone has managed to say has convinced me otherwise.

dazh

Whitegoodman, you have a funny mix of views there. I’m still trying to figure out how you can agree with both UKIP and Green to the point where you’d vote for either seeing as the policies of the two parties are pretty much diametrically opposed to each other.

Anyway, vote green. I have for a while now. Yes it may not be as effective in the short run and may feel like a wasted vote, but I actually think it’s the opposite. Surely a wasted vote is the one you cast where you don’t agree with the policies of the party you’re voting for?

whitegoodman
    Free Member

I agree with UKIP only on the withdrawal from Europe, I don’t agree with the rest of their scaremongering tactics, the Greens are unlikely to consider withdrawing from the Eu.

I view them both as a protest vote, to demonstrate just how far from being in touch with most of us the main political parties currently are.

It is a crying shame that we are so disenfranchised that fringe parties are now seriously considered worthy of our vote, had the lib deems not worked hard on their postal vote, Eastleigh could well have fallen to UKIP.

There is neither a credible force on either right or left, in all seriousness it is a bit of a disaster for democracy as things currently stand.

Either way, Green looks to have a very good chance in our region, there are green posters everywhere.

ransos
    Free Member

I agree with UKIP only on the withdrawal from Europe

Not going to happen – we’re on the same tectonic plate.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

grum – Member

I voted Green in my last council elections too. The local councillors are the only ones who actually seem to engage with people and listen to them. I don’t agree with all their policies but they are the only real alternative at the moment to the neo-liberalism/Thatcherism espoused by all the other parties.

Exactly the same for me.

I would probably vote Plaid Cymru if I lived in Wales.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Kona TC – Member

Conservative – making sure the poor pay for the mistakes of Labour

Nothing to do with the mistakes of bankers then ?

I suppose it was also the last Labour government which screwed up the European and US economies ?

spchantler
    Free Member

i don’t buy into the thinking of voting tactically if im honest. its how successive governments have managed to get into power in the past, look how well that turned out 🙄
    you should vote for who you want or “none of the above”

whitegoodman
    Free Member

After all that, I’m not going to be here on voting day after all, and bloody Mrs Goodman has decided to vote UKIP for me by proxy as punishment for going away without her. 😕

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Somebody stop me, I'm thinking of voting Green in the council elections’ is closed to new replies.