• This topic has 22 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by alpin.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Some wee ned tried to steal my sons bike and which bike lock.
  • ac505
    Free Member

so, youngest son (10) not long home from the park and tells me that some wee bugger tried to steal his bike. Fortunately speedy legs, 7 years of judo and some choice language meant that the offender gave the bike back and the accomplice that was “tooled up” with a stick backed down too. We have reasonable footage of the thief, however he did a pretty good job of hiding his face, hood up etc, but he was young too, no more than 10 or 11 I would say. Don’t see any point in involving the police as they won’t do anything, but will buy a retractable lock so that if a bike is going to be stolen, it’s somebody else’s. I appreciate retractable locks don’t offer much in the way of security , but anything that makes the bike difficult to get away on at any speed would be useful, hence in the usual single track way, any recommendations on locks?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Not retractable but hiplok zlock thingy? Better than a snowboard lock by a long way IMHO, though not exactly secure.

irc

I recently bought one of these for touring.

No key to lose. Relatively light at 440g. Frame mounts to bottle cage bolts available. More secure than a cable lock.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/abus-bordo-lite-6055-folding-combo-lock

Downside compared to cable – shorter so less places to use it but possibly more than a D lock.

Easy to use once you get the knack. A definite click and sharp push/pull needed when unlocking or locking it.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Secure enough for sitting down at the park.

Either that or fit some Hope C2’s and laugh as the wee shite realises the brakes aren’t going to work.

Davesport

Tai Otoshi might have made him think about doing this twice. Well done your lad for sorting this out in a gentlemanly fashion.

finephilly
    Free Member

Those hiplocks are useless. Abus or Squire are much better.
    It’s always a weight versus security trade-off.

CountZero

One trick that might work is to put it into a gear at the far end of the range without actually changing gear. Any attempt to ride off will probably result in the perp lying on the ground with the bike on top.

stwhannah

I quite like the Hiplok Spin for low value/well supervised bikes out and about: https://singletrackworld.com/2021/01/9-bike-locks-chains-and-anchors-to-keep-your-bike-safe/ No key to lose/faff with, and sling it round your waist or on the bars when riding. Light enough not to be totally annoying while riding around (in town etc, I wouldn’t take it on an MTB ride).

onehundredthidiot

I would let police know, not that you expect an outcome.
    But you may get an officer drop in on the ned and give him a warning or it may be a pattern of behaviour that warrants investigation.

If you don’t expect a result that seems reasonable but if you do get a result thennyou never know a talking too might alter the anti social behaviour. Even if it’s one time in a thousand that’s a result.

Bunnyhop

What onehundredthidiot said ^^

You will get a crime number and it will be added to statistics regarding the number of bikes being stolen.

Again well done to your son for protecting his property. I wish more people felt brave enough to challenge these scrotes.

ayjaydoubleyou

Well done to your boy for stopping him. Agree with onehundredthidiot. A copper giving him a warning in front of his parents might stop a future life of crime.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Not sure about your budget, but litelok are recommended in the motorbiking world and they do bike locks also.

https://www.litelok.com/

TiRed

Years ago, my son was with a schoolmate out in the village park on his bike. A boy known to his friend asked if he could try it (was a nice BMX, and I was always keen to share nice things if you can), and he was vouched for as a decent kid. Said boy rode off and the bike was never seen again! Of course a report to the police, arrest and court appearance followed and the boy was convicted of theft after evidence from my son and his friend. Clearly not the smartest bike thief or just starting in his career.

footflaps

Of course a report to the police, arrest and court appearance followed and the boy was convicted of theft after evidence from my son and his friend. Clearly not the smartest bike thief or just starting in his career.

Result!

snotrag

Sorry, but personal bugbear…

OP in 6 months time:

Its a shame the Police arent doing anything about the crime in our area

OP now:

Don’t see any point in involving the police as they won’t do anything

The Poilice in your area:

There is no crime here.

ETA – well done to your lad though as per above!

ac505
    Free Member

Update on the crime of the century: Notified the Police who popped by to take a statement, we felt that although very little may come of this, there are two good reasons: 1. learning experience for my son, understand what’s involved in giving a statement and feel comfortable around the police. 2. the wee sod may be known and the police can have a chat with him in front of parents.
    The police officer was great, asked lots of simple questions to gain the statement, the best being – Q. was there any colourful language used. A. yes, the language mum uses in the car!! Mum looked a little sheepish….

Oh, any Abus bordo-lite purchased, thanks.

dyna-ti

Either that or fit some Hope C2’s and laugh as the wee shite realises the brakes aren’t going to work.

Thats an outrageous fib, Im going to post it up in retrobike. They’ll be gunning for you.

Northwind

A big ****-off dlock is almost always the best portable option. But they’re bulky and not always suitable for locking to everything you’re locking to. But you can’t really carry a useful chain that’ll actually slow down anyone with the right kit, and so once you give up on that, you’re basically dealing with opportunists and idiots so you only need an opportunist/idiot proof lock, there’s no real middle ground.

I really like the Onguard Brute d-lock. It’ll beat almost any non-hydraulic cutters, last as long as anything against a grinder, and they’re very cheap. The build quality is poor so they do corrode, if left exposed outside and the lock unfortunately will jam eventually.But if you can keep it dry or regularly lube the lock barrel it’ll do OK. It’s barely more heavy and inconvenient than most lighter duty d-locks and better than most expensive ones.

(they do a long and short, tbh the short one is usefully small though still heavy, but it’s just too small to be guaranteed to lock the bike to anything but a proper bike lock or thin fence, so that’s a bit limiting)

martymac

Well done to your lad for protecting his property.
    Also, i agree with 1hundredthidiot and others above, aa talking to from the police might just turn the lads life around.
    https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bicycle-locks/trelock-bicycle-lock/trelock-frame-lock/trelock-rs-450-poc-frame-lock-white-721164/

squirrelking
    Free Member

Thats an outrageous fib, Im going to post it up in retrobike. They’ll be gunning for you.

@dyna-ti
    you misunderstand, the brakes are perfectly serviceable but only if you know the pistons need wound out.

bruneep

A big ****-off dlock is almost always the best portable option. But they’re bulky and not always suitable for locking to everything you’re locking to. But you can’t really carry a useful chain that’ll actually slow down anyone with the right kit, and so once you give up on that, you’re basically dealing with opportunists and idiots so you only need an opportunist/idiot proof lock, there’s no real middle ground.

Here is the proof of what size of chain is needed. This tractor has been there over a week now and its not been stolen

Northwind

I think that’s there to protect the wood from tree leaves.

alpin
    Free Member

One trick that might work is to put it into a gear at the far end of the range without actually changing gear. Any attempt to ride off will probably result in the perp lying on the ground with the bike on top.

Mate used to take the chain off the chain ring.

Many years ago a mate from Cologne told me the story of a friend who’s bike was taken whilst in the petrol station. He saw the thief making off and gave chase, not shouting or anything, just chasing. Finally caught the guy at a set of lights,rugby tackled the guy and then proceeded to kick the crap out of the tea leaf. Got his bike and rode off. Ended up destroying his shoes because of the amount of blood on them.

Or get an Abus Bordo lock. I’ve got two. A chunky one for the Bullitt and a lighter one for the gravel bike.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.