• This topic has 37 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by tdog.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Some remarkable Christmas news
  • SaxonRider

Some of you may have already come across this, but a fish bar in Whitchurch here in Cardiff has posted on Facebook that they will be opening from 12-3 on Christmas Day for one purpose: to serve free meals to anyone who is homeless, elderly, or just lonely.

That would be wonderful on its own, but what adds to it – from a personal point of view – is the fact that they are Muslims. I add that because, in a world that seems intent on tearing itself apart over differences, these fine human beings are undertaking an incredible service out of care for the people of the community.

May their efforts prosper!

pondo

* Like * The world needs more of this, good on them.

bearnecessities

Cod is great.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Awesome, lovely gesture. 💙

colournoise

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

In Cod we trust.

I like very much.

tdog
    Free Member

Definite like from me
    👍
    Sounds like they are decent British Muslims 😀
    Like so many

tdog
    Free Member

The Plaice to be !

🐟

tenfoot

They’ll have a plaice in heaven

Edit :- beaten to the plaice joke

Drac

Yup there’s a few across the country doing it. Fantastic stuff.

colournoise

I know I’ve already ‘liked’ this, but in light of the news from the football today it’s an extra fuzzy thing to hear.

cyclelife
    Free Member

The very Sole of Christmas 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good people.

andrewreay

Warms the heart.

Getting some fantastic reviews too.

👍

jkomo

What a great bunch.

MoreCashThanDash

There seems to be many more people/places offering this kind of support this Christmas. Not sure if that means there are more “good” people or more people in need of it.

And despite all the religion bashing on here, a lot of the support the lonely and vulnerable are offered has its roots in religious people/groups.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Harrogate fire & rescue service are doing free Xmas dinners on Crimbo day for homeless as well, so I’m told.
    Good on em all!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Victoria Fish & Chips in Whitchurch is my local, they are really nice guys, they’re always raising money for one charity or another.

theotherjonv

Great story.

But I’m sorry, I don’t find this ‘remarkable’ news in that sense (OK to be pedantic it’s definitely worth remarking on but I hope you know what i mean)

I’ve worked with, played sport with, and been friends with people from all religions and none, and I think I would have to say that when it comes to kindness and charity to fellow devotees and others, my muslim friends are right up there. I am not in the slightest bit surprised that an Islamic chip shop is doing something like this, and I hope they are rewarded by much happiness and many future acts of kindness in return.

edlong
    Free Member

Sounds like they are decent British Muslims

Apologies if I’m reading something into that that wasn’t intended, but I find that comment a little odd, and in fact slightly off.

I’d very much go with what @theotherjonv said, that the idea of Muslims doing something like this being “remarkable” is a bit depressing and, perhaps unconsciously, seems to acknowledge the attempt by some sections of the the popular (and social) media to portray Muslims as all about bombs, beheadings, forced marriage and child rape.

In my experience, there are really quite a lot of “decent” Muslims, and some of you might be shocked that they are not even all of the “British” variety. There are a lot of practical, hands on, hard work, unsung and un publicised good things being done across communities by those who follow Islam every day, and a lot more than is being given back to society by a lot of the self-identifying “Christians” who spout divisive, reactionary bigotry about them.

Greybeard
    Free Member

the idea of Muslims doing something like this being “remarkable” is a bit depressing

You might have missed the intended point – it was that Muslims doing good things in support of a Christian festival was remarkable, not doing good things in itself.

martinhutch

It’s a lovely example of the tradition of hospitality, generosity and sharing that is commonplace in Muslim culture.

chakaping
    Free Member

Lovely story, but yes “remarkable” is probably the wrong word.

Can we go with “heartwarming” or something instead?

globalti
    Free Member

It’s typically generous and hospitable of Muslims, as I know from many many trips to the Middle East and Islamic parts of Africa.

A good bit of business though because I’m sure the increased sales that will result will more than repay the investment.

DrJ

Peas on Earth.

swedishmetal
    Free Member

Crikey some right pedantic SJW’s on here, please read the intent of the sentence rather than picking apart the actual words. 🙄

doomanic

Are you new here?

reluctantjumper

They’re great guys in that chippie. The Muslim community in Cardiff does a lot of this kind of charity and doesn’t shout about it, a lot of it by small businesses. They always seem to have time and energy to look after others when required, something a lot of people could learn from.

globalti
    Free Member

You never see Asians sleeping on the streets or begging, do you?

tdog
    Free Member

@edlong – just adding to ops’ sentiment that it’s nice to see muslims getting credited for the fact they have hearts too

But yeah go dissect more…

swedishmetal
    Free Member

You never see Asians sleeping on the streets or begging, do you?

Yes. Just as much as any other race.

edlong
    Free Member

@tdog – My bad, I realised I could be reading more into your words than might be intended.

That potential apology I prefaced the post with? Consider it activated.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Peas on Earth

Don’t get all mushy on here.

leffeboy

people doing real people things – likes, big time

tdog
    Free Member

Hey Ed, no worries, actually having read it back to myself what I typed, I kinda see how it coulda been taken

Deffo not what I had intention of
    Anyway 🎅👍to all and all to👍🎅

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Islamic chip shop

😂😂😂

Srzly tho makes me think I should get my finger out of my arse and do a bit (not serving food after having had my finger up my arse though, eh)

mooman
    Free Member

Especially nice to read the owner stated they are not looking for donations to cover it – very much an altruistic gesture and to be applauded.

Fortunately there are other generous people who offer free Xmas meals etc for less fortunate individuals too. Anybody interested in helping can get in touch with their Local Authority social services to find out where these places are.

seadog101

A barbers shop run by 4 muslim (Kurdish) guys donate a days takings to a local town charity in the run up to Xmas. Top lads who do fine haircuts, with ear flames and nostril waxing thrown in for free.

tdog
    Free Member

@Seadog101 – i literally had my first ever cut with those added features today in town

The nose thing was genuinely awe inspiring 🤣
    And the hot stick to get rid of fuzzy ears – wow!

£12 bargain! Me thinks

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Some remarkable Christmas news’ is closed to new replies.