Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Some pics of my backyard (almost) New Mexico trails
  • mogrim

Looks fairly similar to the trails round here in central Spain. No bears or rattlesnakes here, though.

qwerty
    Free Member

Looks fab.

Have you ever cum across a beaver whilst riding?

nathaneddy
    Free Member

Nice. And good to see another American on here.
    Just don’t be drawn into political or cultural discussions/arguments, 🙂
    Have done some really nice walking about Abiquiu and spent a summer further north in the San Luis valley — heaven.

busydog
    Free Member

Have you ever cum across a beaver whilst riding?

Too dry for beaver–there are almost no runnig streams in the local mountains–just spring-fed ones that go dry most summers. There are beaver in the Rio Grande river than runs through the city and they are pretty common in the higher mountain ranges that do have more water and the upper Rio Grande.

Nathaneddy–where are you located?

duntstick
    Free Member

😆

molgrips
    Free Member

It looks lovely.. but one thing I’ve noticed in the US is that you get a set of trails in a location and that’s it. There’s no ROW network. That’s always annoyed me.

Having said that, you seem to be doing ok with 45 miles 🙂

GregMay
    Free Member

Rode there a few years ago. Stunning place. Ottero canyon is a phenomenal ride, really worth getting out to.

khani
    Free Member

Have you ever cum across a beaver whilst riding

😀 boom tish!…..

busydog
    Free Member

Having said that, you seem to be doing ok with 45 miles

I use the local trail system for after work rides mostly. Within 20-30 minutes I can access the east side of the Sandia and Manzano mountains where there is something like 130-145 miles of interconnected trails between Otero Canyon, Cedro Peak, Pine Flats, Oak Flats, Faulty Trail, 10K trail and multiple others. Santa Fe area, Jemez mountains, White Mesa, etc are all within an hour, so no lack of riding ranging from easy cruising to extreme technical.

busydog
    Free Member

Ottero canyon is a phenomenal ride, really worth getting out to.

If you get this way again, you should check out Otero now. They have expanded it so that it interconnects with a whole trail system that begins at Mars Court trailhead, about 8 miles farther south from the Otero trailhead. I have ridden it dozens of times and still haven’t found all the trails.
    Some of the west part of Otero canyon was closed a couple years ago when Kirtland Air Force base reclaimed some land that was withdrawn during WWII for a live firing range–concerned there could still be some unexploded ordanance lying about, athough nobody every got blown up riding and hiking it.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

I’m in the mountain biking that is Norwich, England. It’s kind of like the Moab of the UK.
    Grew up riding in VT, though, proper muddy old school riding.
    Great skiing round here, too. 😕

busydog
    Free Member

Grew up riding in VT, though, proper muddy old school riding.

I don’t know VT well. Have some friends in Portland, Maine I have visited a few times,but never ridden there. I can imagine it out to be a mud/tree-root heaven at times. Funny, riding here in NM we don’t get much chance to experience mud, but farther up in the mountains one does get the tree root experience.

Abiqiu—Georgia O’Keefe country—gorgeous area.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

Really haunted area, Abiqiu. And I can attest to the number of rattle snakes thereabouts. . .
    I showed my kids (both born in the UK) pics of the cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde the other day to give them a bit of American history and culture. Would love to take the family over to the four corners area.
    I guess it might be a bit more built up than 10 years ago when I was there, tho!

Konastoner
    Free Member

New Mexico you say……..Forget the rattlers etc, you’d better look out for these guys!

busydog
    Free Member

nathaneddy

4 Corners area hasn’t built up all that much. A lot of oil & gas industry in and around Farmington, NM but still more open space than one could visit in a lifetime.
    If you get back, be sure and visit the Escalante Staircase area in SE Utah. You can google it. Hundreds of square miles of sandstone—miles upon miles of remote, beautiful landscape. I always wanted to go ride the White Rim trail, but haven’t been able to pull it off–getting too old to even consider a solo ride and Mrs. Busydog won’t even consider piloting the 4-wheel drive as back-up on those roads.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

looks stunning. A friend and I walked a bit in the Green River area further north.
    Such beautiful country. Thanks for the reminder.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve been to New Mexico, btw 🙂

busydog
    Free Member

I’ve been to New Mexico, btw

Did you get a chance to do any riding while here?

molgrips
    Free Member

Sadly not. The only riding out west I’ve done was a few abortive attempts in Oregon, and one ride in Montana at a small local spot near Missoula. It was not memorable apart from the descent down the valley towards the end, which was smooth singletrack where I found myself going so fast I’d have had no hope of stopping if I’d met some walkers around a bend, so I backed off 🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

Look like some great trails to be had there although given rocks and trees already frequently attack me I’m not sure I’d live long with coyotes, bears, rattlers and cougars after me as well.

dantsw13

3.9″ in a year?? I reckon we had that today!!!

busydog
    Free Member

although given rocks and trees already frequently attack me

Know what you mean—-rocks and trees have caused me much more grief than the wildlife.

3.9″ in a year?? I reckon we had that today!!!

Things are looking up, we had 1/10 of an inch yesterday afternoon—-will have to get my foul weather gear out no doubt

nathaneddy
    Free Member

How long does it take your laundry to dry on the line, busydog?
    loving this thread.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Some pics of my backyard (almost) New Mexico trails’ is closed to new replies.