Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • Some cyclists make my blood boil…
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

On my journey to work this morning, I approached (coming down a hill) to a junction and wanted to turn left (which then bends right 90 degrees straight after the junction). Just as I pulled out, a cyclist shot out of the junction (carrying the speed she had got by going down the hill) on my inside and proceeded to drift right across in front of my car causing me to brake.

100 metres down the road and she came to a narrowing of the road so she hopped onto the pavement in order to leapfrog the queuing cars. Then she sailed right through a red light too.

And we wonder why many motorists treat us with utter contempt.

Where is the Napalm?

ourmaninthenorth

Next time you see her don’t touch the middle pedal….

headfirst
    Free Member

awwww, you had to brake, diddums 👿

Nick

feckers think they own the road, they don’t even pay road tax or have insurance!!!!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its not clear from the first post who had right of way

TheSanityAssassin

So, she’s a better rider than you eh?

Jealousy is such an ugly emotion.

chvck
    Free Member

Well you’re taught when learning to drive that if you cause another driver to take action (i.e. brake) then it’s poor driving (test failing poor) so surely the same should apply to cycling?

(excluding things like driving too slow)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

thats pretty much how i ride!

any angry car drivers are just jealous that I/we are gettign arround quicker on £30quids worth of pub bike than their flash motor 🙂

ski
    Free Member

I think you notice it more being a cyclist yourself MF, it gets me going too, you only have to ask my Mrs when I see a RLJ on a bike 😉

I keep trying to remember it the person behaving badly and has nothing to do with the vehicle.

project
    Free Member

YOu should always give Women plenty
    of space especially when using a set of wheels, cars, bikes,buses, and shoping trolleys.

You know it makes sence.

Bunnyhop

Project- you may have missed out on four legs there ( horse riding).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

naaa, horses you can cut up, preferably while going wuickly and screaming neeeeeeeeooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww on the way past.

At least thats how i intend to treat them after being cut up by a horsebox last night.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Its not clear from the first post who had right of way

Of course it is clear – I was in front of her and she undertook which is an illegal manoeuvre. Then moved across the road from left to right without indication.

She was in the wrong on two counts within 2 seconds of each other.

Ohh, and I was in a car BTW – one post seems to assume I was riding too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Clear to you but not to me from your post. However that clarifies it

Undertaking on a bicycle is not necessarily an illegal manoeuvre – there has been much debate on this without resolution. Previous editions of the highway code definitely had legal undertaking ” when traffic moving slowly in queues” which would allow a bicycle to undertake, cycle lanes and the lead in to ASLS are on the left – unusable without undertaking. Current highway code has something about car drivers beware of bikes on the left.

It is not as clear as undertaking on a bicycle is illegal

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

having been driven into, cut in on etc so many times when riding correctly I figure I might as well ride as I please :o)

Keva
    Free Member

good girl… that’s exactly how I get around through the traffic.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The basic point is that she wanted to go right. If I had been going straight on or left, the chances are I could have smacked straight into the side of her. Mercy had it that I was also going right so we were BROADLY travelling in the same direction.

Whatever the semantics of undertaking in slow moving traffic, it was at a junction and it was only slow moving as I had slowed for the Give Way.

And my point was made to illustrate just WHY some motorists treat us cyclists so badly – they see that sort of riding and assume we all ride like c*cks.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

that’s exactly how I get around through the traffic.

And that is exactly why we are treated so badly by many motorists. Brainless attitude IMO.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

There are far more bad cyclists that motorists in london, but then its a lot easier to obtain a bike.

At least they’re very unlikely to kill anyone on a bicycle.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

The sad thing is if you had hit her because of her appalling riding you would have been held responsible as the big bad car driver. Riders who decide to take to the road at night in dark clobber and with no lights are also a major problem and you’re right; people like that are the reason why all god fearing Daily Mail readers hate us cyclists.

Best thing to do if it ever happens again is to draw along side her and give your windscreen a good wash; a mouth full of screen wash first thing in the morning may wake the dozy cow up.

mrchrispy

lets get this straight.
    you had to move you right foot (and possible depress the clutch with you left) whilst sat on you arse because some lass on a bike was using the road and doing a dam fine job by the sounds of it?

was she a fitter? she sounds like my kinda girl.

mattsccm
    Free Member

whilst I must admit that I am not , hopefully, to inconsiderate a rider I am very pro active on the bike. I am reaching the point where I feel that our image is totally irrelevant. We are dislike by many but so what. Try being a motorcyclist if you want to be in a minority. Good luck to here, if she lives of course

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

And my point was made to illustrate just WHY some motorists treat us cyclists so badly

flawed reasoning – you have no way to tell why they do things – one might as easily posit that most of them are thinking about other things like sex and food and scarcely register small things like bikes and people

barca
    Free Member

You do seem to have a lot of issues in your life don’t you?

roblerner
    Free Member

What I don’t understand is why some cyclists seem to think they *have* to ride on the left of all the cars all the time.

If you see a car indicating right you don’t over take it on the right, you either go left or wait behind it. Same applies whether you’re on a bike or in a car. Why cyclists feel they can undertake cars that are indicating left is beyond me.

aP
    Free Member

if it ever happens again is to draw along side her and give your windscreen a good wash

Yes, that’ll work, but how are you going to get the washer fluid off the windscreen when the wipers are lying at the side of the road?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Someone did similar to me the other day, utterly oblivious to what she’d done wrong until I pulled level with her and called her an idiot as loud as I could. Modes of transport were reversed, but the principles are the same. Overtaking/undertaking someone at a junction is extremely stupid.

BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

Whats wrong with her riding?? I do that all the time, everday basically riding on the road. Best way to beat traffic, jump on the pavement. 😆

zaskar
    Free Member

Was she fit?

Have to agree some shoddy cycling observed

keavo
    Free Member

so she was in the wrong on 2 counts then. i remember you being wrong by riding on a footpath once, when somebody gave you a smack.
    you are a 1st class whinger really.

BigDummy
    Free Member

We are being paid a visit by the dreaded “crabby mastiles”. Someone not sleeping? 😉

RubberMallet
    Free Member

Fair play to the lass. She sounds cool. Did you get her number!

try5
    Free Member

shocking-girls ride bikes?

brakes
    Free Member

they try

IanMunro
    Free Member

Riders who decide to take to the road at night in dark clobber and with no lights are also a major problem and you’re right; people like that are the reason why all god fearing Daily Mail readers hate us cyclists.

Not that I’m condoning it, but from accident statistics, it would appear to carry no more risk than having lights. Before anyone asks, no I can’t remember the link to the source of this data 🙂

CHB

Dont see a problem with that riding personally.
    On a bike you have to alternate between a very defensive style and a very assertive style. Drivers need to be very clear about where you are, and what you are planning to do. This can involve hogging a lane so that drivers are not tempted to squeeze past when turning right at a rbout etc.

RichPenny
    Free Member

CHB, that’s not an assertive or defensive style, it’s just stupid. Look at it this way; A car overtakes you on your bike as you pull out of a junction and then cuts you up. Surely you wouldn’t consider that acceptable?

coffeeking
    Free Member

There’s no need to cycle like a nob if you cycle defensively. Admittedly theres no reason why the car driver shouldnt have to brake occasionally, but likewise she shouldnt be jumpign reds. The number of near-misses I’ve had with cyclists jumping reds is getting beyond the joke, yet still I hear morons on here advocating it as a clever way of beating traffic that hurts no-one. However on a cycle forum if you’re going to post an message that could possibly be construed as negative towards cyclists despite them acting dangerously, you can expect to get a stupid answer and be blamed for all the problems on the road. It is funny how assertive cycling can be taken to mean anything some people want it to, even if it is obviously stupid behaviour to the rest of the adult world.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

even if it is obviously stupid behaviour to the rest of the adult world.

whereas amusingly throwing things at cyclists and “accidentally” running into them is seen as harmless fun or inevitable…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Coffeeking – jumping reds can be safer than waiting at them – it all depends on circumstances. I don’t do it often but there are a few place where waiting at the red puts you in danger – going 20 seconds early does not

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Some cyclists make my blood boil…’ is closed to new replies.