Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Some casual work for cyclists.
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

Guys, some of you are looking for extra cash. i might be able to help a bit. If you live anywhere near Chiswick, Hounslow, Feltham etc., can ride a bike 😉 and have time available from 18 May 2009, even just a day here and there, I’d love you to contact me. I’m looking for people to help with National Standard Cycle Training as an assistant (or trainer if you’ve done the course). The rate isn’t that great, sadly, only £10 per hour, but it’ll be some easy money if you want to and can do it. Contact me via email in profile if interested.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I’m not bumping it, but nobody???

druidh
    Free Member

Make the same offer a bit further North and I’m in!

aP
    Free Member

During the week or weekends?

Offroading
    Free Member

“only £10” – some folk will be jumping at that.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Generally weekdays, often paid for 6 hours of work (9 till 3) but with a couple of breaks – around 11 and then lunchtime. It’s mostly primary schools we work with, some secondary ones too.
    BTW If anybody is a qualified CT instructor we pay up to £15 p/hr.

colande
    Free Member

same do it over in the west country and im there,
    National Standard Cycle Training – Tick 🙂

are you looking for instructors?
    edit just seen your reply

Hairychested
    Free Member

druidh, how much more North is your bit? Asking as I’m trying to develop the business.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Colande, they’d be perfect, but even assistants seem difficult to find. People prefer working part-time at McDonalds or Starbucks it seems.

druidh
    Free Member

I’m near Edinburgh 😀

What’s involved in becoming a CT instructor?

Hairychested
    Free Member

Go onto the CTC website (www.ctc.org.uk), find a Instructor Training provider nearby, contact them, book the course – 4 days, approx. £500 but £300 bursary available, do the course, get a couple of observed sessions done and become accredited.

colande
    Free Member

i thought even assistants had to have the training aswell,
    so they could deliver the course aswell,
    also need to be able to snake a group out on the road,
    the assistant has quite a important role whilst snaking, even more than the lead i’d say.

4 day course,
    it can be subsidised if you find a company willing to take you on,
    otherwise i think its about £400-ish

Hairychested
    Free Member

Assistants don’t have to, but it’s better. Our client doesn’t mind as long as the lead trainer is accredited. Most of the guys who work as instructors started assisting, got experience, got accredited swiftly and now benefit from it. Those who went for the training first were too green to lead and suffered for it.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Qualifed nuese – 15 years experience – mastered degree £16 /hour
    Am I in the wrong job?

colande
    Free Member

hairy chest do you mind if i ask you who you work for,
    can do this off the record email is in my profile,
    would be interested to know,

did the instructor course last year but never taught due to other commitments and circumstance, but would like to get back into it.

cheers

joe1983
    Free Member

If you get anywhere near Manchester let me know!

Hairychested
    Free Member

colande, yhm

Hairychested
    Free Member

BNS, you’re too inteligent so they can’t pay you well. It’s a National Policy, don’t you know?

Joe, I’ll be looking round there at some point for sure. Will advertise on STW.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Guys/Gals, anybody? Please, I don’t want any idiots from my local LCC bunch.

Offroading
    Free Member

If you come further north im in Edinbrugh too.

I’d be interrested.

jj55

or you coould look at *this*

Nick

someone I know jacked their lucrative paid IT contractor job to do this

sodafarls
    Free Member

North , central, east, inner west london i’d be interested. I still have my little enamel cycling profficiency badge if that counts?

cove123

HC if you have some groups over Herts/essex way might be interested…
    cove123

dav1d
    Free Member

Sent you an email…

Hairychested
    Free Member

Sodafaris – is W4 inner London enough?

Hairychested
    Free Member

Dave – yhm 🙂

righty
    Free Member

if it was now I would be interested but hope to be working full time by may 🙂

Hairychested
    Free Member

cove123 – not yet, but maybe at some point?

Hairychested
    Free Member

righty – get a well-paid job. If you were unlucky though, which you won’t be anyway, let me know.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

It’s very tempting, but I work full time. And I live in Kingston which is a shortish ride to chiswick. Hmmm.

Do you need definites, as i may be able to take a day off or something?

Hairychested
    Free Member

If you’re going to know you have a day or two off work, let me know. And no, I don’t expect anybody to tell me now when they’re available in June 😆

AlasdairMc

Something to note – if you’re working with primary school kids you’ll probably have to pass a disclosure check.

Luckily I have.

I can do the occasional weekday (Edinburgh)

Soup
    Free Member

Hi chap – just emailed you.

S

Hairychested
    Free Member

AlasdairMc – Member

Something to note – if you’re working with primary school kids you’ll probably have to pass a disclosure check.

Luckily I have.

I can do the occasional weekday (Edinburgh)
    As an assistant you won’t be alone with the kids at any time so you don’t have to have it. But it’s advisable, just in case.
    Edinburgh – it’s different law up in Scotland judging by the risk assessment and training procedures. More careful and precise, I reckon.

Soup – yhm vol.1. vol.2 to follow 🙂

trailmonkey

it’s different law up in Scotland judging by the risk assessment and training procedures. More careful and precise, I reckon.

That doesn’t surprise me. My experience working (in England) as an NSI over the last 12 months has shown me lots of areas where trainer/trainee welfare could be improved. Just for instance, it’s not compulsory to have an assistant helper when out training. So, if there’s an injury to the instructor, the trainees are on their own to deal with it. There are a lot of gaps in the whole program at the moment that need filling. It’s supposed to be about delivering National standards so there should be a national standard method of delivering the course but there isn’t. There are even separate training companies offering differing views on what the national standards are.
    TBH, after 12 months, I’m quite disillusioned with it all.

Hairychested
    Free Member

It isn’t all that great in Scotland either. Something about the grass being greener on the other side…
    In London it’s pretty good. As soon as you hit the shires to goes off though.

Hairychested
    Free Member

CG, you have mail too 🙂

Hairychested
    Free Member

Joe, check your email when you have a moment, please.

joe1983
    Free Member

Which one – assuming that wasn’t aimed at me. If it was I didn’t get an email. If it wasn’t, ignore and move along please.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Some casual work for cyclists.’ is closed to new replies.