• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by PJay.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Some beggar’s just backed into my bike.
  • PJay
    Free Member

Did my usual loop today and parked the bike up at the top of Wells High Street as I needed to pop quickly into a shop. Perhaps I should have been more cautious as the bike rack there has been beaten into a bizarre shape from idiots backing into it, but I’ve done it plenty of time before.

I looked back from the other side of the road to see someone in a 4×4/people carrier thingy trying to squeeze into the disabled parking area in front of the bike parking area; he clearly wasn’t going to make it and backed into my pride & joy. The van in front of the disabled back pulled out and the chap moved forward.

I’d made it back to my bike at speed and the gentleman chirpily enquired whether it was alright. I replied that I didn’t know and that he should have been looking in his mirror at which point he made the excuse that he couldn’t see the area (there were 2 other bikes on a second rack behind mine); when I pointed out that perhaps he shouldn’t have been backing in then he walked off, unloaded he wife & parents and left. Someone from the coffee shop opposite kindly came across and commented that they’d seen what had happened should I need a witness.

To be fair, the bike looks fine and chappy was reversing very slowly when he contacted the front wheel (contact seemed to be bumper to front tyre); the bike was in a D-lock and just rolled back a few inches (if I’d returned to the scene without witnessing the impact I’d be none the wiser and I suppose that I can’t guarantee that something similar hasn’t happened before whilst I was off shopping).

It’s a Singular Swift with an MRP Rock Solid carbon/aluminium fork, so reasonably burly for the gravel type riding I use it for and probably wasn’t stressed half as much as breaking at 30 mph coming down out of the Mendips or even bumping up over a kerb. I rode it home without issue

However, the bike is my only bike & my pride and joy (and main mode of transport as a non-driver) so I feel somewhat aggrieved.

There’s probably no real point to the post beyond needing to unload – unless any locals think it worth reporting anywhere in an attempt to improve bike parking; the racks (and potentially people’s bikes) have been badly pummeled over the years.

feed

If the bike rack looks like it’s always getting damaged maybe contact local council re bike rack positioning and suggest they relocate it ?

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d be asking for their insurance details. I doubt I’d make a claim but hopefully the worry over losing the precious no claims bonus would give them something to think about.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’d report for leaving the scene of an accident.
    Even if no harm done it might make them more careful in future

Trimix
    Free Member

I had a woman drive into the back of my Van while parked. She drove forwards into a normal parking sloet and collided with the big metal step at the back of my transit van. Its a giant van and a massive step, you would see it from space if you had your eyes open.

She was a bit put out when I got out and asked her why she had just driven into my van. She denied it until I pointed to the paint from her car on the back of the step.

I suggested she either provide her insurance details or pay me £50 in cash to by a new rear step for the van which she had dented. She coughed up.

I use the step as a parking sensor myself 🙂

PJay
    Free Member

I’d be asking for their insurance details. I doubt I’d make a claim but hopefully the worry over losing the precious no claims bonus would give them something to think about.

I probably should have but I was a bit flustered and I’m not good at conflict. My main concern at the time was the bike (I’m trying to convince myself). The front wheel’s fine & in true and everything else looks fine too; it did seem to be a fairly minor impact.

It might be worth getting in touch with the council about sorting out the issues with the bike racks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Some beggar’s just backed into my bike.’ is closed to new replies.