Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Some Advice on Flying With Bikes – EasyJet Stress
  • doug_basqueMTB.com

Sorry this is a bit long winded, I thought it might help someone if they're thinking of flying with their bikes. I recently flew with Ryan Air and Easy Jet and noticed some serious tightening up in the regulations in places. Basically here's what I found out.

RyanAir: Very stressed about weights both in France and the UK. The limit was 15kgs for hold baggage (compared to 20kgs for Easyjet) and they were super strict. I've never been questioned before so don't know if it's recently changed to 15kgs or if I'd just not been bothered before. The bike limit is 20kgs but I didn't get any hassle about being 24kgs on either flight.

Easyjet: The bike limit is 32kgs with a total weight (both bags) of 50kgs. They won't take anything over this. They tried to stop me flying because I had stuff other than my bike in my bag. I was accompanied to oversize baggage and they checked my bag and found I had 2 DH tyres, all the clothes I'd worn that day which were too muddy to go elsewhere and some tools that I'd used to strip my bike. I had a large discussion with a very unpleasant 'lady' at Glasgow who was insistent that my bike shouldn't weigh over 14kgs and she personally checks any bag over that weight. She almost had a heart attack because of the other stuff in my bag and the supervisor was called. I was cracking up because the guy operating excess baggage was making signs behind her back and mouthing rude words! I stuck to my guns, stayed polite and said it was all padding and got away with it. Just.
    The second flight with Easyjet from Stanstead was fine, they didn't follow me to oversize baggage or check my bag. I did kill any discussion on weights by saying that I'd already flown easyjet that morning and that I had to leave some stuff at Glasgow to make the weight limit so my bags were spot on the limit.

I've updated the bike packing thing I wrote previously with my new advice. If anyone is interested it's here but it's not conclusive and is based on my experience above, other people might advise differently so it's maybe worth checking with whoever you're going on holiday with. Holiday Bike Packing

nasher
    Free Member

We have had guests with problems also.

There is athread on here somwhere where the T&C's were explained.

Ultimately the rules can change weekly so advise everyone to print the T&C's and show it tothe check in staff as most of the time they dont know themselves.

also busget airlines are tightening up because they can make extra money in excess baggage

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Mmm, sounds like a good excuse to have another bike, kept permanently at the in-laws place near Granada. I reckon the wife might buy into that 😆

doug_basqueMTB.com

Yeah Nasher, it's true. I'd actually checked that thread before, maybe I should have added to it instead of starting this one. The people I dealt with seemed very aware of the T&C's which was new but were sticking to them a lot more rigidly than previously. I'd always found a few pleasantries and a smile coupled with an early arrival meant there were no problems. The 'nothing else in the bike bag' is completely new for me, I've always packed it out to protect the bike more.

doug_basqueMTB.com

stilltortoise, it's still fine flying with the bike. I could easily have made easyjets limits if I knew they were going to be so strict. Ryan air is no prob's too because you can get a normal bike to pack to 20kg's ish without much stress. Ryan air were also not strict at all about the bike bag weight, even though they were strict about the hold bag weight.

That's why I started this thread really, because if people are aware of how the airlines are applying the regulations then they can pack to suit.

uplink
    Free Member

The 'nothing else in the bike bag' is completely new for me

I've come across it before & commented on the other thread
    We spoke to a Easyjet director at Luton & he explained that people could [& would] use the bike back to avoid excess charges on their main bag

cynic-al
    Free Member

unpleasant 'lady' at Glasgow who was insistent that my bike shouldn't weigh over 14kgs

Nonsence. They billed me in Geneva for some similar bollocks last year, easyjet UK refunded me.

Worst I ever had was taking a bike to Belfast in 2005, I'd checked the website and at the time there was no requirement to bag your bike, so I didn't.

Cue easyjet rep telling me I couldn't take it, offering no help and saying "I am not easyjet" in response to my complaint. One of a few times in my life I've come close to punching a woman.

tracknicko
    Free Member

bunch of b'tards all of them. just flew with road bike in bags and were pushing the 20kg limit.

i know for a fact that my 224 would blow 20kg out of the water. my bike bag weighs 6 or 7kg empty!

mefty
    Free Member

BA are not much better either, on European flights your bike bag now counts as your only piece of allowed hold luggage and has to be below 23 kg I think, which is difficult for me as my bike bag has a metal plate in it to hold the bike so weighs 8kg. Makes packing a nightmare, one useful trick though if you cant make the weight is to stick your foot under the bag when it is on the scales.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I always pack shoes, helmet, jacket and tools/pump to put bike back together in the bike bag, does this mean this is against Easy jet rules even if the whole lot is well under the limit?

uplink
    Free Member

does this mean this is against Easy jet rules even if the whole lot is well under the limit?

yup

DT78
    Free Member

Last time I flew on a boarding trip with easyjet I got a strong telling off about having my clothes in my board bag, which had been fine last 5 – 6 years previously. As it was it was my only bag and would have been truely buggered if they'd enforced the rules of only 1 board & bindings in your board bag.

Always pays to read the t&cs!

Haven't flown easyjet since.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The 'nothing else in the bike bag' is completely new for me

had this a few times, but never been made to repack it…yet (touches lots of wood quickly)

crazy-legs

They've never commented on the fact that my bike bag has been stuffed with clothing, tools, helmet and spares. Mind you I haven't flown wih the bike for a while now so maybe I just got lucky.

The only problem was when I took gas cans in the bike bag (with the road bike) and it caused all kinds of hassle. Eventually the chief bloke arrived, looked at them and said "Well if they *do* explode, they'll put out any fires!" Then he bollocked the staff member for wasting his time. 🙂

joolsburger
    Free Member

When I last flew easy jet we turned our bars removed the pedals and that was it.

How things have changed in a few years. Better driving from the South.

Radioman

I now drive to bike. Even when its Austria!! I hate the airport stuff… Its gradually got worse over the years..

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

crazy-legs, what sort of 'gas cans' were those?

Jeez, it seems to be getting harder and harder to take a bike anywhere, the trains, can't take em on buses – where is it they have a rack on the buses for bikes? – and planes becoming more of a pain, it's luggage just put it on!

I've put extra stuff in with my bike before and wasn't a problem, but really what difference does it make? Flying out from Nepal once I was asked for $300 as my bike was overweight, tbh it was cos I'd put more sticky wet clothing in there, but they were quite happy for me to take out stuff and take it on as hand luggage to put above my head, my argument was 'why, it's still gonna be on the plane weather it's in the hold or above my head?' or is it lighter if it's not in the hold 🙄

Doug
    Free Member

There are bike racks on the X32 and X94 cross country services in N Wales. However, due to H&S regs there is only one stop that we are allowed to load and unload bikes.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

We got EasyJet customer services to supply an email to point out that our limit of each bag is 32kg and overall must not exceed 50kg. When I called them for clarrification it was a slightly different answer until I pointed out certain aspects of their own T&C's

Basically, The bike does not attract excessive baggage charges (its in their T&C's) so, as long as it isn't over 32kgs (limit for any 1 bag) or your total over 50Kg's (total allowable allowance) they shouldn't charge you more.

I knew about the "nowt else in your bag" thing but still shoved my lid, and body armor (around the forks and rear end) in there too along with tools and spares.

If they ask if you've let the tyres down, jjust say yes and don't answer them by asking if the pilot does that to his tyres. It won't go down well.

crazy-legs

crazy-legs, what sort of 'gas cans' were those?

These things, tyre inflation gadgets.

Had my road bike packed into the bag with clothes, helmet, track pump and a bag of tools all in the bag with it, loads of cardboard and bubblewrap.
    The gas cans showed up on X-ray very clearly and I had to go delving round in the bike bag, get out the little bag of tools and explain what they were. Chap called his supervisor, that guy called the next most senior person until eventually someone saw sense and just let me get on with it.

bonj
    Free Member

http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/can-i-bring-my-sports-equipment-or-bike

from the above it would seem ryanair allow 20kg in addition to "your personal checked baggage allowance" which is TWO bags of up to 15kg each. That'll be plenty for me I think.

one tip i've heard – print off their own rules to show them when you get to the air port.

crazy-legs

one tip i've heard – print off their own rules to show them when you get to the air port.

That and turn up early, be polite and (no matter how tempting) do not give smart-arse answers to the stupid questions that security will ask!

bonj
    Free Member

http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/can-i-bring-my-sports-equipment-or-bike

from the above it would seem ryanair allow 20kg in addition to "your personal checked baggage allowance" which is TWO bags of up to 15kg each. That'll be plenty for me I think.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Can't be arsed to read all that but there is no weight limit on a bicycle when paid for as sports equipment with easy jet. went last year and going this year with them too.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Carrier's Regulations

(1) Carriage of bicycles:

* The bicycle must be packaged in a bicycle box or bag
    * Only one bicycle per bicycle box or bag will be permitted
    * No other items can be carried in the bicycle box (i.e. clothing)
    * The handlebars must be flush with the frame
    * The pedals must be flush against the frame or removed

Passengers travelling with bicycles are recommended to check-in 2 hours prior to departure. Bicycles are subject to the sports equipment fee and exempt from any excess baggage charges relating to the weight of the bicycle.

spooky_b329

When I looked into this a couple of years ago, our DHB bike bags were considerably over the size limit for sports equipment. BA T&C's stated their max sizes didn't count as long as it was a 'compact' bike bag, and didn't cost any more than the budget carriers once you factored in the longer transfers and an overnight B&B due to flight times, but in the end we chose the easy option, chucked four bikes and four people in our Mondeo estate with all the baggage in a roof box, and drove to Austria with an overnight stop in Germany.

Quite enjoyed the drive there and back, except for the stroppy french chef at the ferry port on our return.

Andy

Trying to get my head round this also for Easyjet. Interesting comment about the no extra stuff in the bike bag.

So…I've booked a flight and paid for 1 item of hold luggage and 1 bicycle. So for that I can check in:
    -1 bike in a bag/box with nothing else packed in it, not weighing more than 32kg.
    -1 item of hold luggage not exceeding 20kg.
    -Total weight all items not to exceed 50kg.

Is that right, bearing mind the conditions of carriage have probably changed recently?

🙄

jackal
    Free Member

Yep that's right andy…

jonk

Been with easyjet and they told me many times from liverpool there is no limmit for a bike as long as its only the bike in the bag. I always pad out with tyres and put my full face in there etc but they never say anything. The last time my bag weighed around 32kg, my bag weighs 9kg.

epicyclo

All this faff is why I no longer fly if I can drive.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I don't think it's much of a faff, so long as you know what's expected of you, hence why I posted this. What is a faff is if you turn up at the airport and have to start reorganising your bags. Easyjet's allowances in particular are actually quite generous.

clubber
    Free Member

I've flown my bike with EasyJet several times now (always either to or from Bristol, mainly connecting with Belfast) with no problems (that'll jinx me now though I guess). Bike in bag, bike shoes and tools in bag and no clothing. Never had an issue and never actually had them look in the bag.

NigE5
    Free Member

If you are flying with BA they charge for extra luggage which then applies as you will be very hard pushed to get a weeks clothing and bike in under 23kg. the only the bike in the bag rule has been in a long time.
    BA every time for me, as spooky says BA are very competitive even with out the early starts and airport miles from your final destination.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Some Advice on Flying With Bikes – EasyJet Stress’ is closed to new replies.