Sombrio shoes- X-slat vs X-Shazam?

Home Forum Bike Forum Sombrio shoes- X-slat vs X-Shazam?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Sombrio shoes- X-slat vs X-Shazam?
  • Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Spotted these in the CRC sale and seem good, but can’t decide between the X-Slat (high top but exposed laces) and X-Shazam (covered laces, but seem a bit lower). I know I’m happy riding in a high-top but just wondering which of these 2 will work out better for weather protection, any input’d be helpful!

Cheers

paulo6624

I have both prefer the laces but the shazam are better in this weather but both equally good shoes,stiff and comfortable and very grippy.
    I actually much prefer them over five ten free riders.
    Also a bargain at 40 quid

paulo6624

I have both prefer the laces but the shazam are better in this weather but both equally good shoes,stiff and comfortable and very grippy.
    I actually much prefer them over five ten free riders.
    Also a bargain at 40 quid

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

shazam, obviously – slat isn’t even a magic word

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Shazam it is, cheers!

zelak999

Ordered 2 pairs of Shazams from CRC that arrived today.
    They size up a little small so I’m glad I went half a size bigger.
    I got the black pair which have a lot of material on them and the charcoal pair that are full leather.
    They are slightly higher than AM41s.
    They seem really comfy, test ride them tonight for grip etc.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Mine arrived today too, good fit but… Is it just me or is the charcoal a bit of a horrible colour? I’m genuinely a bit colourblind but they look purple-ish to my wonky eyes, not like the photos which just look, well, charcoal.

Is the textile stuff on the black ones just mesh or is it a waterproof do you reckon?

zelak999

@Northwind
    Yep definately a purplely hue not at all ‘charcoal’ i do like the fact that they are full leather though. I reckon they will take on a more brownish colour by the end of my ride tonight!
    I do prefer the black but i reckon the mesh will soak up puddles for fun. I guess it will be fine with a heavy dose of nikwax spray though!

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Cheers! Well, they’re no more ugly than my old Shimanos with their winter camo sole :mrgreen:

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

3 weeks on Shazams. They seem a lot better build quality than my AM40s though not quite as grippy. The sole seems hard but it moulds pretty well to the flat pedal pins

zelak999

Well impressed with the Shazams, grippy, keep your feet toasty, good protection.
    Just need to put several coats of black boot polish to dim the ghastly charcoal colour.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

The soles are a bit odd, they don’t feel like they’re going to grip but they do- grip certainly into the “good enough that I don’t care that they’re not grippier” camp but they don’t have the solid feel of the AM40s or my Freeriders.

That’s a lot better than my Vans Baxters, which feel like they have tons of grip til you fall off.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Proper ride test- they are ace. Slithering around in half-frozen innerleithen mud, and they grip as good as they need to, and seem better for walking in than 5 10s as well. Otherwise basically unnoticable, which is the best recommendation for a shoe.

Still look awful though! Ah well.

zelak999

Yep I’m loving mine too, tried black boot polish (fail), might go for leather dye next as the colour is gopping!

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I got mine nicely covered in black mud, then along came a snowy section and cleaned them 🙁

hora

What size should I go for? Im a 10. 11 in Shimanos.

johnj2000

How are they for width? I have hobbit feet.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I’ve got 9s in Shimano and Sombrio, the Sombrios are a wee bit wider (I can wear proper thick socks in the sombrios, they’re a squeeze in the shimanos) but they’re both in the same ballpark.

The purple ones are still purple despite my best efforts. I got a set of Floats as well which are just as good but will definitely be a summer shoe, they’re as impressively watertight as a Five Ten 😉

hora

Gone for the Slats in 10.5 🙂

Is the colour THAT bad?! The black ones look like regulation Police issue boots

Is it sort of 80’s breakdance? (Or loud/goppin)

hora

Quick question- do the sombrios ‘relax’/break in with wear/use?

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Mine were comfy from the off, so can’t really say.

kudos100

I bloody hope so, mine are stiff as a board!

hora

Swapped out the insole for my used Shimano am45’s now comfy 8)

Crc got one pair of sz 10’s x-floats back instock…booom! Mine

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Sombrio shoes- X-slat vs X-Shazam?’ is closed to new replies.