Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Solstice plans?
  • rOcKeTdOg

As the 21st of June is a Friday this year I fancy riding into the beginning of winter, maybe with a beer to celebrate making it to another on sat on top of a hill somewhere.
    Anyone got plans I can copy?

metalheart
    Free Member

Yup. I’ve done the last autumn & spring equinoxes and the winter solstice so only have the summer one to complete the pack.

Plan is somewhere in the Cairngorms as scotroutes of these here parts has accompanied me thus far (but he’s a trip home first to meet up). It will need to involve some altitude (my last bivy was only 525m up) so as to greet the dawn. Not sure what the sacrifice will be, but I’m hoping for a transcendental experience. Maybe half drowned/half frozen if the HT550 is a portent…

I’ve booked the day off work, it might be a meet up somewhere effort…

ETA: should read the op properly before replying… Not sure how that gives something to replicate… 😂

senorj

Influenced by a thread on here I quite fancy a sdw romp.Leaving on the Thursday afternoon looks like a goer. Just need the weather to be kind again.

fatmax

http://www.ridetothesun.co.uk if you’re a roadie. 100 miles, Carlisle to Cramond beach, overnight, chip shop stop in Moffat, pipers at the top of the Devil’s Beef Tub climb, a middle of the night rave at a derelict pub and free beer at the sea front at the finish. And entirely free to enter 👍😁

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I need to be in Cambridge on the 22nd and I’ve got the 21st off work.

Current thinking is a ride on the 21st up to the Ivinghoe end of the Ridgeway, sleep under the stars somewhere then on to Cambridge on the Saturday.

Not that I’ve got any idea or experience of bikepacking/bivvying so I might need to read up o  it a bit and see what I need.

CheesybeanZ

I fancy riding into the beginning of winter,

Do you mean summer?

trail_rat
    Free Member

I have half a plan for a C2C2C on the road Aberdeen -fort William – Aberdeen but I think it’s too close to a target race on the 30th and would prefer to do the ride about 11 days later.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Last day of Trans Provence for me 🌴

andytherocketeer

Had pencilled in a SDW in a day, but had to rejig on-call support at work, so on-call that week. Blame that GMBN vid from last year for getting such a daft idea.  Hardly ridden bike for ages either.

So gonna have to be something local, where I can get in to the office within 1 hour.

In fact being so unfit, maybe I should do a “shortest night” ride, rather than a “longest day” ? (in theory shouldn’t get any call out overnight).

colournoise

Hopefully setting up camp ready to ride the Mayhem 24hr…

colournoise

… if we can put a 40+ team together following the disintegration of our original line-up.

rOcKeTdOg

I fancy riding into the beginning of winter,

Do you mean summer

Longest day means the next is shorter & so begins the slow decline to the shortest day is what I mean. Longest day Is the peak of summer to me whatever the “official” season is

rOcKeTdOg

colournoise

Subscriber
    Hopefully setting up camp ready to ride the Mayhem 24hr…

Is that still going?

trail_rat
    Free Member

From what I saw someone’s trying to milk the last drops out of the mayhem cow. Many hundreds of shackles per team then 30 shiny nuggets to camp ring side.

Poopscoop

Trottiscliffe burial mound for me most likely. I’ll bivvy there if the weather isn’t too bad.

Always meet some eclectic types there on solstice.

Spooky as hell though if your the only one camping there.lol

RustySpanner

Sacrificing virgins.

Email in profile.

nofx
    Free Member

There’s a hill called midsummer hill near us. Me & a mate rode up there to see the midsummer sunrise a few years ago. A hippy bloke gave us a cupcake each. Riding home along a track that’s used by 4x4s while verging on tripping was quite entertaining 😁😂🤣

yetidave
    Free Member

http://www.ridetothesun.co.uk if you’re a roadie

not really a roadie, but i have my train ticket booked for this and been putting in some* miles of training.

* – not nearly enough

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

It was certainly quiet out there for the Winter Solstices Poopscoop.I’ll be hoping for a cuppa now if I make it out there in June.

I’d love to do a sunset till sunrise ride to somewhere nice to see the sunrise (but seems impractical) .I’ve done a sunrise to just about sunset on the Winter Solstice before.

scotroutes

Plan is somewhere in the Cairngorms as scotroutes of these here parts has accompanied me thus far (but he’s a trip home first to meet up). It will need to involve some altitude (my last bivy was only 525m up) so as to greet the dawn. Not sure what the sacrifice will be, but I’m hoping for a transcendental experience.

See above. I’m travelling that day but hope to be back early enough for an overnighter somewhere in the Cairngorm area. If it turns out as nice as the summit bivvy I did last week I’ll be well pleased..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2evtiet]DSC_0368[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

beaker

As per Colournoise… I’ll be at at Mayhem. I’ll be on the bright orange Commencal Meta going slowly.

senorj

So the missus doesn’t object to my plans ….is there a pub about 60 miles along the sdw?
    😳😃

deadkenny
    Free Member

Beers and prepare for depressingly shorter days.

hofnar
    Free Member

Gonna try for an early night 😉 Leaving for a tour of Corsica the next day 600 km would be nice to get near 30 hour as a target time. Max allowed 40 hours in any case so best not to get too sleepy on the day.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Molgrips thread has planted the idea of doing the Ridgeway double in my head.

Less than a month to get from 35miles to 175miles……

Barely leaves enough weekends to do a recy in either direction!

pictonroad
    brassneck

Might just ride down to Stonehenge or Avebury, they’re about equidistant for me.
    At least even in full lycra I won’t be the oddest dressed (or not if it’s warm)

highlandman
    Free Member

West Highland Way race for me; starts at 0100 Saturday in Milngavie and I’m on medic duty throughout until prize giving is finished on the Sunday afternoon.

calv145
    Free Member

I’m doing London to Brighton off road overnight using much of the BHF route. The plan is to be on top of Truleigh Hill for Sunrise.

BoardinBob

All going to plan I’ll be finishing the Hebridean Way on the 21st. Not a bad way to spend it

senorj

@ picton road.
    That was the thread that is influencing me.
    😊👍

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Solstice plans?’ is closed to new replies.