Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • Solo night riding – road or mountain bike. Madness?
  • hora
    Free Member

Evening 😀

When someone posted up here that he liked riding alone night riding my first (and only) thought was ****head. Why risk being stranded/injured or mugged etc.

However a few countryside lanes later and off road over Rivington/Einter hill I totally ‘get’ it. Is that odd? The inky blackness alone? The still, calm, quiet air? Only you, alone?

I was asked why by my partner and the first thought was ‘if anyone else is up there they’d just as likely think what does he have about him that I should fear’?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I love solo night rides. It’s probably what I do most of. They’re absolutely fantastic.

mcnultycop

I ride off road at night on my own.

I don’t do anything too difficult. I tell people where I’m going.

hora
    Free Member

Agree, it just feels peaceful(?). We are taught to fear the dark but to me criminals/etc are more likely to be in urban areas after dark not rural.

mcnultycop

Until you surprise the doggers.

muddyground
    Free Member

It’s normal. It’s fun. You do look like the nutter from the woods. Wait until you eat out on a cold night. Everything smells and tastes so much better. Best nights are the clear ones with frost in the air. Stunning.

nickjb
    Free Member

Love it. Totally different ride vibe. Ride well within your ability, the risk of monsters and yoofs is more than enough adrenalin.

martymac

yep, love it, been doing it for decades.
    less light power required as your eyes can adapt more easily,
    even pretty tame stuff becomes exciting when you cant see it properly,
    more than likely you will have the terrain to yourself.

sandboy

It’s one of the few things I look forward to each winter. Both on and off road, I love the peace and tranquility of night riding and often feel safer than during the day.It is much easier to see approaching traffic especially on blind bends.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Until you surprise the doggers.

Wait until you eat out on a cold night. Everything smells and tastes so much better.

suddenly dogging makes sense

jam-bo

You are the weirdo in the woods.

Riding with no lights on a moonlit night is great.

Turning you lights off in the deep dark woods to see how dark it gets it fun too.

scotroutes

We are taught to fear the dark but to me criminals/etc are more likely to be in urban areas after dark not rural.

The first draft of the Scottish Land Reform bill was very much against night-time access but it was successfully argued that the more legitimate folk were about, the less chance of criminality.

As for road riding at night, I reckon you are much more visible to other traffic

hora
    Free Member

Jam bo I did that. The still air, etc were great but the button back-lights are very conspicious. More so than I realised.

kcal

have to say I don’t night ride solo as much as I’d like.
    Quite often did in days passed.

There have been some absolute highlights, spinning along a forest track with a cold, full moon, turn off the lights and it’s just like 60s war movies “at night” with the blue filter over the lens..

Road don’t do so much of but more than happy to do so, one you’re out of town its quite therapeutic.

hora
    Free Member

Agree about cars/night- I’ve found cars lift right off/v.early for you.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sounds like your scared of the dark.

Ridings riding regardless of when i do it.

Ive ridden all day and seen no one and ive ridden at night and seen lots of people.

As always be prepared for the surroundings. Ie recently found my self on top of a scottish mountain at 10pm in the pitch black dissorientated. Was i worried- no . I knew i had food , water and shelter to bunker down where i was.

How ever would i carry the same at a trail centre – would i sod.

hora
    Free Member

Slight fear excites and drives me yes. If it didnt I wouldn’t seek it out.

crazy-legs

Used to do quite a bit of night time road riding, solo and with others. Less so now although there are plans to do a few group road rides over winter.

Years ago I had a 25 mile commute through the North Lancashire/South Lakes lanes which was lovely at night. Much safer on the roads too. Far fewer cars and what there was could be seen coming a mile off. I think the worst points of night-time road riding is going through rural towns or villages at 11pm or so when all the drunks are coming out of pubs and people are driving home (sometimes not entirely sober) from meals out.

Funnily enough, most of the drunken shouts you get now are more positive than anything – last ride I did with a mate we got all sorts of variations on a theme of “GO ON BRADLEY!”

Last solo ride I did was back in about April; left the house at 11.30pm, got back at 2am. The only people out were workers on the railway, they looked at me in a proper “WTF?!” manner. 🙂

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Ha, oh how things change so quickly (or not) eh.
    Thought you sold the road bike so what are you riding on the road ??

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/night-riding-i-just-dont-get-it

tinybits
    Free Member

I almost alway night ride, even in mid summer. I can’t get out until 8:30, so by the time I’ve done a couple of hours and are in the woods, it’s pretty bloody dark. Good lights, leave a route and away you go.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

yep, love it, been doing it for decades.
    less light power required as your eyes can adapt more easily

+1

started when I lived in US ’97-’99 and it was too hot (for me) to ride in the day. Always used the bare minimum lighting (supernova bright lights spoil half the appeal for me) and turn it off at every opportunity. Best bit about shift work is the commute home off lates, last 10 miles are rural roads with no lighting (flat and open so got about a 2 mile warning of oncoming traffic), not much beats riding by moonlight.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I love riding at night and used to love fell running at night too. The only person I ever met out running ended up being someone who was a friend of a friend and ended up being a really good mate!

As others have said the risk is overdoing it or having an accident and being stuck on your own. There really not likely to be anyone out there looking for trouble.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Is a bit odd at first, don’t really give it much thought now. It’s certainly preferable to the turbo unless it’s wet and cold. Do knock it back a bit on the descents. Though tbh if I end up in a ditch (road or off road) I don’t think I’m much more likely to be found during the day than an night. Passers by more likely to notice a lit up bike!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I had my first solo night ride of the year last Thursday . I had forgotten that slightly nervous feeling you get the moment you stop to take it all in. I think it’s a very natural / primitive feeling to feel ‘afraid’ in the dark . Nice to reconnect, or something like that.

piemonster

Absolutely love being out in the hills at night by myself, fantastic feeling

jonba
    Free Member

When someone posted up here that he liked riding alone night riding my first (and only) thought was ****head. Why risk being stranded/injured or mugged etc.

I do it all the time. There are risks, as with everything in life. If I didn’t ride in the dark I would be able to get one outdoor ride a week in from now until March.

paul4stones

Well before this time last week I never gave it a second thought. Last Sunday night, having just popped out for some fresh air, I managed to have an off that involved me smashing my face in and giving myself a stinger neck injury! According to the Garmin I didn’t move for 30 min, presumably unconscious.
    I’ve spent most of the week asleep or in hospital and my hands and arms still don’t work properly yet but thankfully I’ve not broken anything spine wise so it should all get better. I’m a lucky man. The bike is fine 🙂
    But yeah, solo night riding is cool otherwise.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Jesus Paul, Sorry to hear that, hope you make a full recovery soon.
    I tend to solo night ride on occasions not by choice usually due to everyone one else being buisy.
    But I always tell the other half were I’m going, what time I will be back and she can always track me on buddy beacon if needed

hora
    Free Member

Hope your ok Paul? That can easily happen on a solo Sat am ride and good nightlights illuminate everything needed if it helps you getting back.

I’ve been on am rides where I’ve seen no one in 4hours. Swallowing a tongue or bleeding out takes <10mins in any light.

I’ve not done it for a while, but have no problem doing it.

However, getting a puncture in the woods when everything suddenly goes still and deathly quiet, with a blanket of darkness. Your lights that flood your peripheral vision when moving, now only pierce the focal point of your activities and the cloak of darkness shrouds you – and then the noises begin. Every rustle, every twig crack is a badger, bear, serial killer. That right there, is some un-nerving shit…

molgrips
    Free Member

I always ride at about 25% technical capability at night on my own. Super careful.

I do it a lot though – used to scare me witless, don’t give a toss any more.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Done it for years and probably ride at about 50% ish – locally that means ride everything but not flat out [not steps though I avoid them]

Done it for years and night walking

Its not a big deal once you get over the initial fear.

jam-bo

Since lights have got so good I have to keep reminding myself to back off a bit and slow down.

paul4stones

Sorry, didn’t mean to cast too much of a damper on things! I’m sure I’ll be fine. I think my point is that you can be as skilled, experienced, careful, nonchalant as you like but sometimes these things happen. I’m not one to dwell on stuff like that, otherwise, gulp.
    Gan canny!

thegreatape
    Free Member

I don’t understand why some people are scared of the dark.

discapade
    Free Member

I’m too scared of my own mind to ride alone…lol

dazh

On road with decent lights and reflectives you’re much more visible than during the day. The flip side is that there are more drink drivers. The main downside is when you get a puncture on the top of some moor in the dark in horizontal rain.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Yeah,
    Love it.
    Generally night ride on the road regurlary on my own,not so much mtb.
    My partner suggested not riding off road alone at nite as their are various dodgy youths hanging around or if I had an accident.
    Spose main roads can be dangerous but generally I am close to civilization!
    Get my off road fix with others on a Wednesday nite!
    Max

thegreatape – Member
    I don’t understand why some people are scared of the dark.

Of course you do, unless you are bloody stupid. The human mind is complex, but some fears/actions are quite understandable and explainable. Congratulations on your display of bravado though. Well done

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Love night riding on the mtb on my own. You can’t beat the feeling being out in the dark on the bike in the middle of nowhere, but I always ride a route I know well, tell the other half where I’m going and what time I’ll be home but generally txt/call when I’m leaving to come home.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Solo night riding – road or mountain bike. Madness?’ is closed to new replies.