Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Solo night rides
  • clubber
    Free Member

Suspect that’s the same, unstated, reason for most of us… 😉

krixmeister

I think it is a bit disingenuous to say risks of riding at night are the same as those of riding during daytime. I do it, but I don’t pretend it isn’t riskier, and I prefer where possible to night ride with friends. The biggest risk is that of hurting yourself and being without assitance – while that risk exists during solo day rides as well, solo at night adds (depending on the popularity of trail your riding) another potential 12 hours after an accident before someone finds you lifeless/nursing a broken bone/crying like a little girl.

By all means do enjoy the solo night rides, but recognise the risk. That’s part of the fun anyway, right? And don’t pretend there isn’t a higher risk of jungle animals/bogeymen eating you alive at night, either 🙂

sweepy
    Free Member

Discuss the objective risk with her, Im probably less likely to hurt myself at night cos im going a bit easier. After a few times she’ll get used to it.
    Or start identifying foundless, ill informed risks in aspects of her life that you know nothing about, and expect her to change her behaviour.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    davedodd
    Free Member

I’d never night ride on my own.

I was lucky/unlucky enough to be leading the utterly fantastic Delamere Monday night ride 7 years ago on a lovely cold November evening, when at around 9pm, I came off on something totally insignificant at about 3mph.
    Result, one smashed humerus (upper arm), and the worst pain I’ve ever experienced. Fortunately the 8 people that were with me got me to the road and an ambulance. I, quite literally, couldn’t have moved if they hadn’t have been there, and would have been lying in a deserted forest in minus degree temperatures.

But hey, if you’re man enough, go do it. I know I never will.

Risk assessment takes on a different perspective when somethings actually happened to you.

Dave

sweepy
    Free Member

Route plan and eta means you wont be left helpless. Otherwise I dont see the difference with solo riding during the day.
    We all make our own choices based on our own experience I suppose, I just dont see why the OP’s enjoyment should be curtailed because someone else makes unfounded assumptions about the level of risk.

hora
    Free Member

If you have to go on a solo night ride just tell someone what time to expect you back by and the route that you are taking.

Just understand that IF you did have an accident you’d tie up additional resources as someone would need to follow the route to locate you (hence more time away from other potential emergency calls).

If you’re happy with that. Fine.

Personally I think its reckless.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bloomin ek.. most of the replys are to do with “telling yer woman to bogoff” What about the actual experiances of night riding?

I don’t do these very often, for some reason I’m not inclined to go out unless it’s a full moon (Yoooowwwwwlllll, hahaha) no seriously. I’m a lover of forests but it can get mighty dark in there without some serious Luminaires and I don’t really like riding like I’ve a WW2 Air Raid spot light loosly tied to my bars, so I only take a small but reasonably powerful Exp with me, then turn it off at every moon lit opportunity..

But some nights are just sublime.

Must do more, must do more before this hot weather scoots off back Africa way..

sweepy
    Free Member

Mountain biking is a luxury activity Houns. Every time a mountain biker has an accident resources are tied up ‘unnecessarily’ whether at night or not.
    Maybe we should just not do it at all?

clubber
    Free Member

sweepy – Member
    Mountain biking is a luxury activity Houns

Houns <> Hora 😯

hora
    Free Member

I was told at hospital that mountain biking injuries are classed as “self-harm”. Similar goes for Rugby injuries.

I was gobsmacked.

druidh
    Free Member

hora – Member
    I was gobsmacked.

Sometimes I wish someone would smack you in the gob!

You must think I’m completely reckless. I mean I ride at night on my own I even go out and walk/climb up hills on my own, in the winter and everything.

How is your view of life looking through all that cotton wool?

hora
    Free Member

In your mind, do you allow others opinions that differ to yours?

sweepy
    Free Member

Whoops, sorry Hora, and Houns.
    I wonder if hospitals consider sitting on ones backside watching X factor and eating crisps as ‘self harm’
    The worrying thing is that unlike Hora, there are people who would happily ban many activities as unnecessarily risky, and a drain on resources. One in particular who I know would ban mountain walking, yet smokes like a research lab beagle.

fasthaggis

In the dark ?
    On a bike ?
    Over an uneven surface ?

Are you mad?
    Do you have some sort of death wish?
    Do you really want your last hours ,to be spent fighting off woodland creatures ,while they gnaw at your broken limbs?

No ,of course you don’t.
    As Winter approaches it’s far better to stay where it’s cosy and safe.

Oh , and ignore all that rubbish about most accidents happening in the home.

😆

hora
    Free Member

Self-harm ‘putting one in harms way’ possibly?

Although keeping fit, getting fresh air and activity – surely if you slid off – how is that self-harm?

Benefits balanced against risk IMO.

Houns

It’s a good job you apologised 😡

nickingsley
    Free Member

Yep, night ridden and run solo in Delamere quite a bit over the last 2-3 years and enjoy it. Always take mobile JIC the worst happens.

Oddly I seem to move along a lot quicker and don’t ever stop until at the stones on Old Pale but I do get a rather odd sensation between my shoulder blades if I don’t focus on what’s in front of me…….

showerman
    Free Member

i could not ride solo in the dark, have to have a nite light on when i go to bed

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Solo night rides’ is closed to new replies.