Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Solo holiday- trying something new?
  • alwillis

So me and mrs W have decided to treat each other to a long weekend(ish) solo holiday each, to do exactly as we please without compromise for the other person. No set budget, but trying to keep costs lower rather than luxury levels!

As an example the front runner for her is a few days trekking in the Atlas Mountains and exploring Marrakesh. Something I would do, but wouldn’t be anywhere near the top of my list.

So I’m now thinking of ideas-
    -a few days touring in the UK or Northern Europe
    -MTB in the Alps/Europe/Scotland (XC rather than enduro- think 120mm FS)
    -something I’m not good at, but would be fun- surfing, climbing and paddling all come to mind. I can do all 3 to a very basic level, but any suggestions of where is best to learn for a few days as a solo traveller?

What would you do STW?

jambourgie
    Free Member

A tour of the Amsterdam red light district obvs.

cb

Sea kayaking? Anglesey perhaps but other places available should that be too far. Something I always had my eye on for a solo trip. Haven’t made it yet!!

matt_outandabout

Spey Descent in Open Canoe.

Stainypants

Double post

Stainypants

I just did a week in the lakes mixture of biking, hiking and SUP boarding. During the week I barely saw a soul and the two campsites I stayed were dead except for Friday and Sat. Two of the rides I did were great two were out of my skill level but I didn’t put enough thought into them and should asked on here .

singletrackmind

Coverack windsurfing lesson staying in a hotel. On the lizard peninsula which is a fair schlep down but once your there its a very pleasant spot

thecaptain
    Free Member

Hang gliding. Did a little bit many years ago, amazing feeling when up in the air but too much time and money for me at the time. Perhaps a bit dangerous too. But there’s nothing quite like flying in the open air…

dyna-ti

A tour of the Amsterdam red light district obvs.

At 2am in the all night coffee shops. 😉 Amazing the folk you meet.

dudeofdoom

GCN did a bikepacking thing over the Atlas Mountains,you could both do a solo thing that ends up with a few days together somewhere in Marrakesh.

alwillis

Some great suggestions thanks all! Any specific trips for solos?

If not I think the solo trip in the van with bike, tent and running shoes might win.

lunge

Do you want to meet people when doing stuff or stay solo?
    If the former, stay on YHA’s or similar. They often how have private rooms, but the communal areas are great for meeting others if you so desire.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Yours wifes holiday sounds much more interesting than your ideas 😀

julians
    Free Member

learn to kite surf in Tarifa.

Inicio

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Muchbetteradventures.Com has a ton of holidays suitable for solo travellers. I’m looking at options myself for autumn too.

MrOvershoot

Thanks for that hungrymonkey
    Something for me to plan to do in the next year as the world of work draws to a close 🙂

ta11pau1

Most of my recent holidays have been solo, I’ve done all of the following:

Motorbike touring around the UK/Europe
    Group guided MTB trips in the UK
    Windsurfing in Egypt
    Solo trips in the UK, mainly MTB oriented.

I’ve got a 2 week trip staying in Aberfeldy in a few weeks – just me, my bikes, my walking boots. I’ll get a load of riding in around aberfeldy, dunkeld, pitlochry etc, plus a Munro or 3, plus some walking, a bit of the Cairngorms, maybe even a beach…

tractionman

sounds great, a long weekend solo with the bike and wide open spaces, if you’ve a van and a tent, assuming you’re somewhere in GB, if it were me I’d drive up towards Oban direction and spend time on the trails around Morvern Peninsula / Loch Shiel, the ‘Gravel Rides Scotland’ book gives lots of food for thought 👍

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.