Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • SOLO: A Star Wars Story
  • lambchop
    Free Member

Just viewed. 3 really good things in it.

rone

Clue?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I meant to post up about it.

I wonder if there’ll be anything new/different in it or just another rehash of the original films…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Well this is one of the side/back stories so not part of the saga, so not an opportunity to rehash the old films. I really enjoyed Rogue One, moreso than episodes 7 & 8 and I’m really looking forward to seeing this one…seeing how the Millennium Falcon goes from a brand new freighter to the beaten up ship we’re used to, seeing the Kessel run, seeing Lando getting together with Chewie and his history with Lando and winning the Falcon from him in a game. And of course the Dragon Queen out of GOT is in it. Shaping up to be the film of the decade.

lambchop
    Free Member

I don’t want to spoil, but there is not enough *e*i stuff. There is a bit of *i*h stuff, which is one of my three. Overall the chap who plays the lead isnt worthy of screen time with the Wookie.

shaggy

I’m feeling underwhelmed. Watched it in a pretty empty cinema. I felt it lacked big memorable scenes. Not much humor either. The war bit felt promising, but then in to rubbish CGI. I thought Donald Glover was good.

aP
    Free Member

A colleague of mine saw it Saturday morning week before last. He said it was very loud. He had never seen any other Star Wars film. He liked some of the mining constructs. He was less fussed about the other stuff but thought the hairy man was good

He went because Emilia Clarke asked him to go see it. He said the security was ferocious.

eddiebaby
    Free Member
    cynic-al
    Free Member

The woman that did fleabag plays a droid in it.

According to the Culture Show she is good!

lambchop
    Free Member

Eddie, it’s more of a wake than a party.

Gunz
    Free Member

I don’t want to spoil, but there is not enough *e*i stuff. There is a bit of *i*h stuff

What does this mean?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Well I’m prepared for disappointment. It’s easy to forget these are essentially kids films and I was about 5 years old when A New Hope hit the cinemas and it was awesome back then through the eyes of a 5 year old, so never going to have that WOW moment in adulthood. It would be great if they made a more gritty adult version of a film, not XXX adult, but more like Alien adult, dark, gritty, scary, violent. Solo would have been the perfect opportunity to do this. One for the middle aged Star Wars fans.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I really liked it. I felt it built steadily over the whole film and the ending was excellent.

Kamakazie

Pleasantly surprised. It was better than I expected after the disappointment that was The Last Jedi.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

As Disney own the Star Wars franchise I guess their target audience is the one who will buy the most merchandise.

rone

Eddie, it’s more of a wake than a party.

Okay. I spent a bit of time on my reviews over there. We have a decent bit of film chat.

Sanny
    Free Member

Saw it yesterday and to be honest, I thought it was great! Alden Enherech (or however you spell his name) played it brilliantly. It passed the six laugh test while L3 and Lando were pitched perfectly. Woody Harrelson continues to impress me while the gritty reality of life under the Empire really hit home.

I wasn’t sure what to expect but came away itching to see it again. Which I plan to do.

I shuddered when Disney bought the rights but they have done a great job following the crushing disappointment of 1, 2 and 3. Just hoping they don’t do an Obi Wan film with Euan McGregor. He was by far the worst thing in the prequels. Truly awful.

But back to Solo. Two thumbs up from me!

wukfit
    Free Member

I think the missing words are JeDi and SiTh (haven’t seen the film though)

what do I win?

shakers97
    Free Member

Spoiler Alert: he doesn’t die in this one

nickc

Was OK filmed mostly in the dark though, which got annoying after a while. Some of the back story was a bit forced, but thought new Han was great. Well worth the trip to the cinema

Northwind

I thought it was great tbh. One of the <spoilers> was a bit forced and bothered me, but apparently ties in with assorted animated stuff. I totally buy Errenreich as a young solo, Woody Harrelson was great, Donald Glover was perfect, Paul Bettany was an ace villain… And it also managed to round out the universe a bit, frinstance non-stormtrooper imperial soldiers and more of a look at the workings of the whole thing, and a bit more about how the rebellion actually comes into being.

All in all it’s a very good episode of Firefly.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Yes! That is a great comparison. The battle scene had the same bit of a mess feel as Serenity Valley.

vondally
    Free Member

Saw it yesterday, I thought the last jedi one wias awful, Han Solo made me smile a lot, given its production troubles it was pretty well constructed with some good performances woody h, main lead and Danny g, lotts of bits I like but got bored of all the cast doing the repeaitive smirk or big grin, really no moments of peril and then descended into Disney sentimentality and mawkishness. It will play well I hope to familie/ parents and children to go and see together and enjoy and channelled a lot of the essence of the original star wars, esp 4.

What the whole series needs is a really dark and gritty version, rouge one + , especially around the moral dilemmas and darkness for both sides.

Great comment re Serenity/ Firefly, and I would agree except they are better!

anagallis_arvensis

What the whole series needs is a really dark and gritty version

You are confusing what you want as an adult with what a load of kids films need.

vondally
    Free Member

AA – see Disney Bambi, snow white and Pinocchio – very very dark .

Yes point taken BUT room for both in the universe

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Well Star Wars has a strong global following of older middle aged people like me, so a good audience for a parallel more adult film I think. Solo would have been great if it was a bit more raw, sweaty, violent etc as Han Solo is a bit of a caveman. Let the kids have the saga movies, and make the back stories appeal to an older audience.

anagallis_arvensis

Let the kids have the saga movies, and make the back stories appeal to an older audience.

Not a big enough audience. Just saw it with junior..thought itvwas really good.

kelvin

We all loved it.

What is extra in the 18 cert version?

doomanic

Just back from watching it with my lad (18). We both enjoyed it but the be-chinned youth didn’t really gel with me as a young HF.

Plenty of scope for a sequel though.

Northwind

Kelvin wrote,

What is extra in the 18 cert version?

Dragon-boobs.

ChrisL

I liked it. I liked the interactions between Han and Chewbacca, L3 was great fun and Lando was entertaining without being overused. The expanded universe tie-in at the end annoyed me a bit. Overall it mixed Han Solo’s hot-shot pilot, bullshit artist, impulsive recklessness and reluctant nice guy aspects together well.

IdleJon

Was OK filmed mostly in the dark though, which got annoying after a while.

I didn’t notice this at all, once the first scene was finished.

I enjoyed it. The off-stream films are so much better than the main sequence. My 14 year old has suggested that Rey is the daughter of Han and Qi’ra.

sbob
    Free Member

Dragon-boobs.

Image result for Dragon-boobs

BobaFatt
    Free Member

saw it this afternoon, it was alright but not fantastic. Felt like it was losing it’s way a bit just so it could tack in a load of fanboy references at points.

One of the <spoilers> was a bit forced and bothered me

If it’s the bit at the end, then I agree, seemed almost like an afterthought

Jakester
    Free Member

Just back from the cinema seeing it with my lad. He said it was the first of the new films that he could understand all the way through, and for me that sort of confirms what I thought – a very linear, straightforward plot with no real jeopardy and a really obvious ending.

I wonder if it’s because I knew it had substantially been re-shot but it really feels like someone has come in and tried to do a safe, inoffensive action movie.

The boy rated it as 9.5 out of 10, with 10 being the Lego Batman Movie. Move over Barry Norman.

jamj1974

My boys (10 & 10) and I (43) went to see it yesterday.  We all enjoyed it.  Did it blow my mind?  No, it didn’t.  Was it solid and entertaining?  Yes, certainly.  I also forgot quite quickly that Alden was not Harrison – so I think his portrayal in that story must have worked.   I will watch it again when it is released for download and streaming – I think it will still be watchable on repeat – a good test.

Loads better that the Last Jedi, a film that get worse as time passes.  Also, although not as great as Rogue One, there was no crappy CGi’d recreations of old characters.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I went expecting to be entertained and taken along a story to somewhere I vaguely knew, I got that, laughed, smiled and the referenced, enjoyed the characters and seeing the next Harrison Ford take shape, was impressed that Emilia Clarke does better when not being a princess and enjoying every moment of woody harrelson just doing his thing now he worked out what that is!

There is a bit of you take out what you put in, I think too many people are expecting Oscar worthy story and character arcs when we paid to see pirates, rebels, gangsters and lovable rogues double cross each other and look for the best in people.

Cougar

Got around to seeing this yesterday.  I went in with middling expectations and came away pleasantly surprised.

I thought the casting was great.  Once you get over the notion that New Boy isn’t actually Harrison Ford he’s pretty believable as a young Solo, Ford’s cheeky grin and all.  Lando was brilliantly played, L3 a great new character.  Plot, eh, was serviceable, fun little movie.

weeksy

Lando was done well.. the rest… well, it was OK.

zilog6128

There seems to be very minimal marketing around this, with zero hype and virtually no-one talking about it! Are we just saturated with new SW films now or is it just that bad?!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘SOLO: A Star Wars Story’ is closed to new replies.