Solitary pursuits

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)
  • Solitary pursuits
  • Premier Icon thepurist
    Subscriber

Cake decorating – because at the end of it all you’ve still got cake

Electronics, start with and Arduino or Pi kit, endless tutorials online

locum76

Love this thread. I’m in a similar couch based getting wasted rut. Have dabbled with bass and electronic music but need something more consuming. Have spent 8 years letting my wife get out in the evenings while I stay in with the kids. That was to stop her going mental but now I am.

TheBrick

Just read the first page and no talk of the five finger shuffle?

aweeshoe

@chvck, that’s a grand idea. I love the idea of making something I’ll be able to use. I’ve tried picking it up a few times but I keep forgetting how to cast on and off, and I’m hopeless at following videos.

@Panzerjager, are there particular brushes, paints and kits makes you’d recommend? I’ve got a steady hand and an eye for detail, I’d be interested in making the bird kits. My friend makes these

aweeshoe

@ebygomm, crocheting looks quite a skill! I like how you don’t need many tools, especially ones you can injure yourself on. I kinda stopped wool based crafts after impaling myself on a knitting needle but I think crochet may be a good reintroduction.

@BillMC, thanks for the tip.

@thepurist, I love cake! I wish I could bake but they come out like big biscuits

@greentrucky, that’s not an avenue I’d thought of. Are there any websites you’d recommend to get me started?

aweeshoe

@TheBrick. I’m not really keen on watching videos, but if you want to give me a demonstration… 😉 😂

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

I find bike maintenance passes a lot of time. It aint fun, but is quite satisfying. Try setting up some tubeless tyres. It’ll either drive you bonkers,or be very useful.., or both 😊
    There’s also checking out music blogs on t’internet.. drawing… reading… or try combining some of the previous suggestions, like whittling a guitar out of a stick. Or sewing cake decorations.

aweeshoe

@Dezb, my bike maintenance is very satisfying for bike shops 😂 I do try, which reminds me to ask how to fix my wobbly front wheel. The problem with tunes is that they go too well with getting wasted on the sofa

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

how to fix my wobbly front wheel

Youtube research… like most things bike related 😊

chvck

A somewhat different angle maybe but it’s still making stuffs. Making computer games, it’s probably at the wrong end of the commitment scale but there are some pretty accessible engines now and you can learn all the stuff just by reading. It’s quite creative too.

CraigW

Photography. Plenty of interesting stuff you can try indoors, eg macro, or experimenting with lighting. Plus editing the photos after you taken them.
    And combine it with other hobbies, ie take photos of things you’ve made.

aweeshoe

@chvck, that’s not something I’d considered. I used to build my own pc’s and write basic programming. I’m quite curious.

@CraigW, I used to have an SLR but stopped when photography went digital. It’s certainly something I’d give a go if I got a camera and an editing suit, is there anything you’d recommend for a beginners set up?

lambchop

Bikebouy, is that your Charger HB?

BillMC

Brick, Flashy beat you to it

trumpton

get outside and do bird watching. Just need some binoculars.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

How about stalking someone on STW who has no clue who you are and trolling them? For no apparent reason? Seems to occupy the time of some **** on here anyway.

What are you wearing Debz?😉

Have you tried cycling? Apparently its lots of fun, and has massive health benefits to boot.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Look! ^^ There’s one of em 😆

aweeshoe

@trumpton, that’s a possibility but it involves going past the front door and the possibility of real people.

@Dezb, I’ve got the kit but but not the enthusiasm

@trailwagger I’ve got a few but they ruin the sofa

Internet trolling is way to go.
    (cheaper than coke and hookers as well)

Nico
    Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Have you thought about creating a new religion, then radicalising impressionable people online to commit horrendous atrocities in your name?

Or online scrabble?

Have you thought about creating a new religion, then radicalising impressionable people online to commit horrendous atrocities in your name?

A bit like Jeremy Corbyn? 😉

Dez, much though I despise your online persona…

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

It’s where I convey my nicer side

Look! ^^ There’s one of em 😆

Is that trolling? I thought it was humor, cause ya know, no-one on here actually rides a bike.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

No, the one above yours trailwagger. I sincerely apologise for any confusion. (See, I’m nice)

I rode one yesterday.

At least I’m claiming I did.

Anyway.

Has anyone mentioned Lego yet?

If not, Lego.

I have My kids have loads of it.

Holds its value, if later resale is important.

No, the one above yours trailwagger.

It was me.

It was definately* trolling, fella.

* that’s how we spell it in the OCG

No, the one above yours trailwagger. I sincerely apologise for any confusion. (See, I’m nice)

Ah, I didn’t spot the double uppy.. apologies to you sir. (isn’t the internet a lovely place today?)

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Despite his presence.

stumpy01

Learning 3-D design & doing a bit of 3-D printing?

Plenty of free 3-D CAD programs out there ; something like Fusion 360 with tons of Youtube videos to learn how-to from people like Lars Christensen.
    Or something like Blendr for more organic design (not really my thing).

You can pick-up a fairly capable 3-D printer for around £150 – something like a Creality Ender-3.

Although, this isn’t really a plug-n-play hobby just yet. There are lots of setting things up & experimenting required to get good results. But it can be very satisfying when you make something that solves a direct problem you have.

toby1
    cheekyboy

Re-point your gable end

One thing I’d advise against is doing unpaid favours for ungrateful celebrities and/or media types…

On the flipside, you could have a pop at being a citizen journalist and through extensive research and piecing together timelines explore previously uncharted avenues… though you might be a bit shocked by what you find.

Hmmm, on balance, get a dog.

aweeshoe

@Nico. I’ve not heard of Scrimshaw before, I was a bit wary of googling it but it looks quite intriguing. Thanks for the heads up

@Binners I do online scrabble and cards. Bringing enlightenment has been my life’s work, but it’s a tough gig for an autistic messiah and I lost my last follower on Thursday. Maybe, I could combine it with @dezb and @centralscrutinzer’s idea and…

@mrmonkfinger, lego is a sore point (especially if you stand on it)

@stumpy01, they’re a lot more affordable than I expected. Thanks for the heads up, I’ll have a look to get some ideas.

@harry_the_spider, I just saw your airfix post. It a shame they just do military stuff, I’m a pacifist.

aweeshoe

@jivehoneyjive, if only you warned me sooner. I used to work for the Getty’s, but I wouldn’t kiss and tell 😉 You’d have to get me drunk first, but I’m up for a challenge if you want to try

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.