Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)
  • Solitary pursuits
  • aweeshoe
    Free Member

I’ve got a lot of time to myself and I’m looking for better and cheaper things to do sitting on my sofa getting wasted. It would be great to learn some simple useful skills, or to do an online course that doesn’t require too much commitment or having to watch videos. Have you got any ideas?

Esme
    Free Member

Oh dear, I think you might regret asking that question on here . . .

jon1973
    Free Member

Whittling

Esme
    Free Member

Can you sew? I’m not talking about making party frocks, but useful stuff. Altering garments to fit, mending ripped clothing, making simple things like stuff sacks – that kind of thing. You can save loads of money with “make do and mend”. And it saves things going to landfill too.

aweeshoe
    Free Member

Esme, I’m sure they won’t dissapoint

Jon1973, I was thinking about that. Is there a knife you’d recommend?

aweeshoe
    Free Member

Esme I do sew. I’m ok at hand sewing and mend tears and make minor adjustments but I’ve not made anything with the sewing machine for a while. Making sacks would be a good place to start, I hadn’t thought of that. Thanks

theotherjonv

I twiddle about on (bass) guitar…… what about some sort of instrument? Initial outlay doesn’t have to be much, and it can be very absorbing.

aweeshoe
    Free Member

Learning an instrument would be cool, I quite fancy the double bass or the clarsach

Edukator
    Free Member

the double bass

A short-scale electric bass will do lot more, is much easier to play and can be transport in a gig bag. From about £80 delivered to your door.

simondbarnes

Learning a language. Look at duolingo.com

chvck
    Free Member

Along the lines of sewing, knitting. Definitely useful, you can also not only make clothes but things like stuffed toys (I made my sisters knitted stuffed toy elephants for christmas last year). You can also spin your own yarn and stuffs too.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I started whittling a few years ago, mostly my winter go to activity. In front of the fire.

A good book is the urban woodsman. I have a couple of Mora knives, which seem to be good and won’t break the bank.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Astral projection. It’ll get you out and about more.

pondo

Rubik’s cube. 😉

aweeshoe
    Free Member

The short scale electric guitars might be an option, I’ve got wee hands and struggle with normal size ones. I’m not intending on taking it beyond the sofa though.

I’ll have a wee look duolingo, I could do with brushing up on my languages too.

I like the idea of doing something practical like sewing. I’m quite arty but would prefer to make something I can utilise, they’re great ideas.

I whittled an owl when I was a kid, I found it quite therapeutic and was curious to see what shape the wood would take. I work in forestry and I’m quite interested in the properties of each species, which do you prefer?

I’ve tried astral projection, I ran into some druids

bikebouy
    Free Member

This..

And this..

Just a sample of the myriad of instruments and amps out there…

Much better to fiddle with than picking yer nose..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Disciplining a simian?

aweeshoe
    Free Member

Have you a confession to make CaptainFlasheart?

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

What’s not to like about sitting on the sofa getting wasted? It’s a lot more comfortable than sitting at a bus stop getting wasted…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Correct the internet

You could try hacking?

aweeshoe
    Free Member

I love sitting on the sofa getting wasted, but it’s much more fun with company

aweeshoe
    Free Member

Mikewsmith, I’ve had some practice 😂

slowoldman

I’m not sure sitting on the sofa is the best use of your time. Get out for a walk.

aweeshoe
    Free Member

Countzero, thanks for the that. It’s a lot more reasonable than I expected. What wood would you recommend to start with?

aweeshoe
    Free Member

Slowoldman, I’d like to but can’t for various reasons

scruff9252

Does it have to be conducted whilst sat on your sofa?

How about getting Cameron McNeish’s book on the Munro’s & Geoff Allan’s “the bothy bible” – between the two there is at least 3 years worth of weekends to get out into the hills and up to mischief.

myti
    Free Member

Gaming. I do xbox during the darker months.

aweeshoe
    Free Member

Scruff9252, I find that quite appealing for when I get the odd weekend to myself

Myti, I’ve got a ps4 but I’m finding it boring playing alone

wiggles
    Free Member

I haven’t been around on here as much lately and things have obviously slipped as no one has suggested coke and hookers yet

squirrelking
    Free Member

Hmm, electric bass? Why not a ukelele? Same thing really.

Electric uprights are pretty much the neck and spike portion of a traditional double bass and appear to come in cheaper by a significant amount.

Sewing is a good shout, my wife does it but I’d like to knock some stuff together eventually. If you wanted to start on a budget get yourself an old but solid machine then learn to fix it. I have her mum’s old Toyota sitting waiting to get the tensioner fixed when it becomes less of a touchy subject.

Caher

Might seem odd, but I gave started riding a bike. You could then stop for whittle.

aweeshoe
    Free Member

Wiggles, how much do you reckon I should charge?

Squirrelking, that sounds like something I could have a go at. It would be easier to store too.

I’ve got my Nan’s old singer sewing machine from 1947! It’s the one I prefer to use but I’ve also got one that does all the fancy stuff, I can’t even thread the thing

aweeshoe
    Free Member

Caher, I’d probably get done for child neglect

wiggles
    Free Member

About £30 a gram

aweeshoe
    Free Member

£1,620,000 that’s not bad. That’ll get you half an hour

Esme
    Free Member

Haha – took me a moment to work that out, aweeshoe 🙂

panzerjager
    Free Member

Modelmaking.
    Been doing it since I was a kid, started building plastic kits, then converting & modifying them, then building from scratch.
    Keeps me off the streets & passes the cold winter evenings!
    Doesn’t have to be military either, plenty of cars, motorbikes, birds & figurines if you don’t fancy tanks or aircraft.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Crochet? Minimal costs to get started and loads of free patterns on the internet. Kept me sane when I was working away from home.

BillMC

Wood? Limewood or redwood. There are loads of videos on YT on whittling and carving.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Solitary pursuits’ is closed to new replies.