• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by alanf.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Soldering iron kit recommendation
  • alanf
    Free Member

Does anyone have a recommendaton for a soldering iron kit?
    I’ve had a look on ebay and there are hundreds of them. Gas, electric – different wattage’s etc.

It’s a bit of a minefield.
    I don’t need it to be top end, but equally I don’t want a Charlie Wanger.

I’ll not be doing any intricate electronics but needs to be capable for some basic 12v wiring.

Thanks oh wise ones…

nickjb
    Free Member

If budget will allow then this is great: http://cpc.farnell.com/tenma/21-10115-uk/soldering-station-digital-esd/dp/SD01738

Available with re-badged from different suppliers. Sometimes on special at Maplin.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Conrad have some good temperature controlled units

If you are mainly on about car work a gas unit is useful. Chisel tip over fine point even for small stuff, just a smaller chisel.

If you are doing big power 12v you will need a separate big open for that.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I’ve always been a big fan of Antex irons but I’ve seen reviews of cheap Chinese stuff from ebay etc and they are actually very good. Bits can be much cheaper than Antex ones as well.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

<span style=”font-size: 12.8px;”>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KATSU-852D-2-in-1-Soldering-Iron-Station-Hot-Air-Gun-Rework-Station-312080/282185254279?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649</span&gt;

I’ve been using one of these for the last few months on some through hole and SMD work and it’s really good, I did buy a 1.6mm chisel tip as well.

Flaperon

<span style=”font-size: 12.8px;”>https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/antex-25w-mains-soldering-iron-fr12n</span&gt;

To be honest proper technique and taking your time will be more helpful than spending a fortune on a fancy soldering iron.  You’ll also find it easier if you can get hold of some older solder with a higher lead content.

GrahamS

I have an Antex iron that I use for home electronics soldering (basic throughhole circuits etc).

It is very basic (no settable temperature control) but it is a decent first iron.

Try to get the versions with the nice flexible (silicone?) cables, as some of them have nasty plasticy (PVC?) cables that pull the back of the iron around when you are trying to do fiddly stuff with three hands and a toe.

GrahamS

And yes, avoid lead-free solder. It’s crap.

Get proper leaded stuff (with rosin core) and just don’t eat it!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Get some lead solder (red reel) its easy to get hold of as its still mandatory in aviation and military stuff, but banned everywhere else. Its also allowed for repairing anything that was made with it originally (pre 2003 or thereabouts). Its easier to work with and more robust than lead free.

My soldering iron was £400 so I won’t recommend that! It is very nice though, you do get what you pay for.

I wouldn’t recommend gas either. Battery powered is better if you need portability.

alanf
    Free Member

Thanks chaps.

Food for thought there.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got the 25w Antex up there, with a variety of bits, works well for me, mainly model making stuff/electronics.

CountZero

Ive got an Antex iron, just a little yellow one in a cardboard box with three different sized tips.
    I bought it when I was still at school, I’m 64 this year, and it still works just fine.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

I wondered the same myself a year or so ago, spent way to long looking on google (may well have started a thread on here too).

after much pontificating I gave up trying to spend heaps of cash and bought an antex xs25 which I think cost me 25quid at the most. I then bought a few different sized tips and a better stand (with a wire wool cleaning pad). maybe 35quid all up inc the iron itself.

its definitely one of the most useful things I’ve bought and I quite enjoy playing with it. if you want to do components on a board I recommend buying some kits from china off ebay, 99p easily buys something with enough fiddly bits to get some decent practice in with.

if I had to do it again I would spend the extra for the version of the xs25 with a silicon lead.

drewd

I’ve also got the 25w Antex with the silicon lead. I’ve used it to repair a Kenwood Chef, a Marantz amp, solder headers on a Raspberry Pi and build an oscilloscope kit. It struggled with the BNC connector as it’s a large area to heat, but did manage it. It’s done everything else easily. It’s fine for that sort of work.

I’ve also got a gas iron from Aldi, which has been used on car wiring when I’ve not had access to mains electric. It does the job but the Antex iron is easier/nicer to use.

The iron SchrickVr6 linked to is tempting, but probably not essential for basic work. I’d consider it if my iron broke though.

Northwind

I got one of these just recently:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soldering-Desoldering-Station-Hot-Air-Iron-Gun-Electric-SMD-Rework-Welder-852D/152560685820?epid=8013449614&hash=item23855352fc:g:WkQAAOSw6VRZ-RnQ

It’s awesome tbh- lots of power but fine control, heats up fast, and now I can’t understand how I ever got by without the hot air gun. Very bulky though and teh cables are a bit too stiff which is annoying. I’ve used some really nice kit in the past and tbh those wee usability differences are the only difference I’ve really noticed, silicon cables are worth the upgrade.

I can get the job done with a cheap iron but for me it’s been 100% worth it. No doubt there’s other stations that’ll do the exact same job.

alanf
    Free Member

As there seems to be a lot of love for the Antex, I’ve decided to take a punt on that, silicone cable and stand for just over 30 notes. I’ve also gone for some proper solder to make things easier. It’s about 30 years since I did any elctronics work so hopefully the skills are still there. Patience and a steady hand will be required.
    Thanks for all the advice.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Soldering iron kit recommendation’ is closed to new replies.