Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Sold car yesterday, now buyer claiming damage to car
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP Are you joking when you said “stitched up”?

Yes, it was meant in jest, wrong choice of words I guess. 🙂

I’ve been on both sides of this argument, and there’s is bugger all you can do about it. 🙁

nedrapier

If it’s a cosmetic fault which is in plain sight to anyone with eyes, it doesn’t really matter whether it’s a private sale or not.

If you bought a car from a dealer but only bothered to look at one side of the car before you signed the papers, you wouldn’t have much comeback if you got home and found a dent on the side you didn’t look at.

rocketman
    Free Member

Pah – report it stolen and keep his money

😆

chakaping
    Free Member

Well I’d say he got a reasonable deal, but im hardy impartial am I?
    He did his homework on the cars market value. Its only a good deal to the buyer, he got £200 off the asking price.

The line I was taking is that although you are clearly in the right legally, if you feel he paid over the odds you might want to consider a discretionary payment just to be nice.

Sounds like he’s going the wrong way about it by blaming your mum’s driving rather than admitting he didn’t notice the scrape though.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh, my YUP! was in reply to Ski’s question 🙂

DrP

…be coked up with an engine full of mayonnaise…

Sounds like one of your wild house parties, PP…!!

DrP

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

LOL!

It’s when the oil never gets hot enough to burn off the condensation in the engine. Oil then mixes with water and forms what looks like mayo which coats all the internals, worse under the rocker cover. The only way to stop it is to get the engine hot regularly and change the oil minimum once a year. This is why people who only do 2 miles to the shops and back once a week and think it’s not necessary to service a car that only does 2000 miles a year, are sellers I now avoid like the plague!
    I’d rather have 100,000 in 4 years than 25,000 in 10…….

dazz
    Free Member

gotta agree, tell him to sling it, he bought a cheap 2nd hand car & for all you know he did it himself, not your mum getting it of the garage.

bigyinn
    Free Member

The car had a regular dealer service EVERY year, which was probably excessive, but the oil seemed fine and youghurt free in the filler cap.

**UPDATE**
    He’s just text me apologising for the tone of his previous text and said “i should have looked at in the daylight, either way the car drives well, not worth falling out over”.
    So pitch forks and knuckle sandwiches are stood down.

I just hope he doesnt dicover the sawdust in the gearbox. 😉

nedrapier

well done him.

jon1973
    Free Member

It will have sat most of it’s life siezing up, it’s probably not been serviced anywhere near often enough, and it’ll only have ever done very short journeys so it’ll be coked up with an engine full of mayonnaise.

Mmmm.. Fair point. Never thought of that.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Bought a 10 year old car with 18k miles. Runs sweet as……

khani
    Free Member

I just hope he doesnt dicover the sawdust in the gearbox.

Heavy duty black bin liners work better than sawdust………

trail_rat
    Free Member

how many miles does it have now though

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve had several old, low-mileage cars that have been wonderful and given many thousands of miles of trouble-free motoring, just to balance things.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Agreed, he has no comeback…however, I think it’s a but rum not to point out and significant defects to the buyer if you are aware of them.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

however, I think it’s a but rum not to point out and significant defects to the buyer if you are aware of them.

Perhaps if not visible defects but if someone can’t even look properly then it is their own hard luck I say.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I bought a six year old motorcycle with 5000 miles on it 0 it wasn’t even run in. It consumed oil until I thrashed the spuds off it for a few thousand miles

slimjim78
    Free Member

out of interest, did he seem a decent genuine fella, and are you a good judge of character?

could it perhaps be possible that your mum did scrape it?

if the damage is now worse in his pic compared to yours, I dont see how that would strengthen your case. You mum could have scraped it after you took your pic.

anyways, seems like he’s done the right thing and accepted it.

bigyinn
    Free Member

He seemed a decent enough chap. Given he’s not sent a picture, I think he’s looked at it a little more closely and realised its not a recent bit of marking.
    The only place mum could have scraped it, would have been taking it out of the garage and to do that sort of damage I would think the wing mirror would have been more than a little “readjusted” as a result!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Whereas I wouldn’t go anywhere near a 13 year old car with 24k on it. It will have sat most of it’s life siezing up, it’s probably not been serviced anywhere near often enough, and it’ll only have ever done very short journeys so it’ll be coked up with an engine full of mayonnaise.

Indeed, I can confirm that unless the car was garaged in a nice warm cosy garage and serviced regularly in it’s long, bored years it will probably have more issues than one used daily. Brakes rust up, bearings get damp in them and have time to corrode, condensation gets into the oil and leads to issues, rubbers seem to die faster oddly, never figured that out.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Funnily enough the wiper blades always seem to die quicker if they aren’t used, compared to those that are. Why is that?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I bought a six year old motorcycle with 5000 miles on it 0 it wasn’t even run in. It consumed oil until I thrashed the spuds off it for a few thousand miles

BMW? They all do that, sir.

Honest, they do apperently. 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Sold car yesterday, now buyer claiming damage to car’ is closed to new replies.