Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Solaris or FlareMax – long term musings…
  • bootsy

What Roverpig said.

For a long, slack bike on big hoops the FlareMax is incredibly playful. Up to speed it is very nimble and poppy – you place it there and it goes there. Previously I had an Orange Four which was supposed to be all of the above. The Flaremax is way more stable and confidence inspiring, just plain faster everywhere whilst still being agile. And the steel frame gives it a wonderful ride feel. I’m in love with riding the damn thing and have been out more frequently (the weather helps!) as a result. Def get a demo. Don’t worry about the ‘slack seat tube’ either (it was a concern of mine too and then promptly forgot about it once I started riding it), there are plenty of designs out there with fashionably super steep seat tubes and they still have to ram the saddle all the way forward. This bike was crafted by the designer to generate a particular feel and experience for the rider. It does it in spades and it will be the last thing on your mind with streaming eyes and disbelief at the capability, speed and just plain fun of this bike. Demo one asap.

Kryton57

Everything Roverpig posted in that most recent post is why I’m looking at this bike.  I want to be able to enjoy a long ride in comfort and have the bike cosset my lack of technical ability.

I want a low stress environment within which to enjoy some time out on my bike.

weeksy

Everything Roverpig posted in that most recent post is why I’m looking at this bike. I want to be able to enjoy a long ride in comfort and have the bike cosset my lack of technical ability.

I want a low stress environment within which to enjoy some time out on my bike.

Not sure still that a HT is the answer to that, even things like tractor trails, etc are nicer on a FS than a HT, the constant battering will still be the same if you ask me irrespective of an XC based Ht or a trailsy based HT.

The good thing is that as long as you go in with the right mindset, then just about any FS will do it. That was my ride yesterday, just relaxed and enjoying the T-130. No pressure, no timescales, just riding where and when i fancied. 🙂 But could be just about any FS out there.

Kryton57

A fair point Weeksy and I’ve perhaps submitted to the FlareMax at this point.  Also, I’m schedule for a “zone 2” easy ride on Sunday and although it goes against the program of measured output I’m going to do it on my Spark off road to test that very theory.

weeksy

Hey, if you want a Cotic, i ain’t going to argue, i love them 🙂 I think they’re awesome.

I honestly can’t think of any reason the Scott can’t do it all though. Even if you factor in a set of bearings once a year at £80 inc labour, then it’s a lot less than a £3000 new bike 😉

ayjaydoubleyou

I honestly can’t think of any reason the Scott can’t do it all though. Even if you factor in a set of bearings once a year at £80 inc labour, then it’s a lot less than a £3000 new bike 😉

Factor in either a new set of wheels or changing the tyres from race-paper to normal every time you want a relaxed/adventure ride.
    I don’t know Kryton’s temperament, but if I had a single wunderbike that I actually raced competitively on*, I’d be averse to taking it out in the mud, rain etc, for fear of wrecking it prior to an important race.

For your intended use, convention says the hardtail, modern practicality says full suss (especially as it is a proper British one that the designers understand may get wet). If you are coming from xc race bikes, both will feel slow and heavy on the demo.

*I do race, just not competitively.

weeksy

I don’t know Kryton’s temperament, but if I had a single wunderbike that I actually raced competitively on*, I’d be averse to taking it out in the mud, rain etc, for fear of wrecking it prior to an important race.

Yeah i get that… I like having a spare bike, but it’s very very rare that my proper bike isn’t completely ready to go. Although i am very organised and have things like a BB in spares, seat/seatposts, bearings, headsets, mech, chain etc… All ready to fit if needed.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Solaris or FlareMax – long term musings…’ is closed to new replies.