Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Solaris Max plus or Genesis Tarn 20 2017 (sale price)
  • PolisherMan

Just seen the 2017 Genesis Tarn 20 being sold for about £1300. Was all set to get a Solaris, roughly £2200-2600 (keep fretting about spec!)

Ok, so the Tarn needs better tyres, and the crotch grab post swapping out (I have a Specialized post that fits). The wheels are on Deore hubs, BUT it’s like a grand cheaper! Quite happy with the SLX groupset. Money left over for some spare 29er wheels.

And it looks lovely. Tell me why I would regret it and wish I’d got the Cotic? 😉

kelvin

While fretting about specs, I’d suggest swapping the front tire for the TrailBoss3.0 (if going down the custom Cotic route)… winter is coming…

chakaping
    Free Member

Haha, I’d just start with the 29er version and get the plus wheels next April.

To the original question, I think you might end up buying two sets of wheels if you get the Genesis – but apart from the wheels and tyres it looks pretty sorted.

You can always swap in a Solaris frame later if you don’t click with the Genesis?

ads678

Tell me why I would regret it and wish I’d got the Cotic?

Because you want the Cotic….

PolisherMan

Got a trip to Spain booked for end of October, 29ers going on after that… possibly…

benp1

It’s unlikely to make you ride more, or ride quicker, but it might make you happier getting the one you actually want..

Alex

Can’t comment on the Tarn, but the new Solaris is a brilliant bike. I had the older one and loved that too, but the chubby version is so much fun. I’ve not ridden it on the 29s.

Worth every penny for me.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Where’ve you seen the Tarn for sale so cheap?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Freeborne have them at £1299, not that I’m telling myself I don’t want one every time I see one or anything…………..

Easy decision for me, can’t afford a solaris.

mcnultycop

I’ve been looking at getting a 27.5+ bike and the Ghost Roket 8 on CRC seems to fit the bill. I’m just not sure about the ox 34 Rhythm Fork or the Nobby Nic/Rocket Ron tyres but otherwise I think I’m about to click “buy”.

momo

34 Rhythm is a brilliant fork, I’ve just fitted one to my 2016 Tarn.

Back to the OP, tarn all the way for me, even as a Cotic fanboi, the genesis geometry was a lot closer to what I wanted – 465mm reach and a 483mm seat tube on my size large Tarn vs 457 and a 520mm seat tube on a XL Solaris.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I did a test ride on that Solaris with plus wheels and standard setbback to back. For me it would be a no-brainer choice for the Cotic, why because Cy such a great job with the designs and my BFe has been great so the brand loyalty has been earnt.

PolisherMan

Jambalaya, yep I did the same with both sets of wheels. The Genesis may feel like a betrayal…. but it’s half the price…. 😉
    Ps. Which wheelsize did you prefer/choose?

cumbrianmonkey
    Free Member

I’m gonna be selling my Tarn 20 which you can have for £950 which is pretty much immaculate and comes with Nobby Nic 2.8’s on it. Even if you don’t want it I can definitely recommend the bike and I’m only selling it to buy the 2018 one. Don’t get the 29’er, it has 2x drivetrain, the plus one comes with 1×11. I originally thought I was gonna put 29’er wheels on it but after trying it with both I’ve never put the 29’er wheels on it since. 2.8’s on a hardtail are just way too much fun. Sorry if I’ve committed a sin by not putting this in the classifieds, not sure what the protocol is

jambalaya
    Free Member

Polisher I thought the plus size was just great fun, the 29s more functional. I had wanted to demo an Escapade as had that in my thoughts to go with a BFe and Covert but the Solaris has turned my head. If I got one I would favour the Plus spec wise with some cheaper xc 29s maybe bought second hand

kelvin

Half the price!? If going 29er then just get the Silver 29er build of the SolarisMAX… Deore hubs, SLX gears, no where near twice the price of even that sale Genesis.

cartwheels

Wheelbase have Tarn 20 in medium for £1100!

PolisherMan

Yes I know! Just pressed the buy button 😀

boxelder

Ninny Nic/ Rocket Ron is a great tyre combo in 2.8/3″

jamesmio
    Free Member

Totally not eyeing up the Tarn currently on Edinburgh Bicycle’s site at £1200.

Steel frame, 29’er, Ardents already fitted (OEM’s no doubt mind), SLX group set, 120mm Reba’s, 2 x 10 for some actual, proper range…

I wonder if they’ll let me CycleScheme one…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Half the price!? If going 29er then just get the Silver 29er build of the SolarisMAX… Deore hubs, SLX gears, no where near twice the price of even that sale Genesis.

True, but it’s still ~50% more (and it depends on how you rate the forks/finishing kit) And the Genesis has substantially longer/slacker geometry so it’s not just the price difference.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’m a confirmed Cotic fan, but tbh if you were worried about the price of the full dreambike you’d specced, it might have made more sense to look at frame only on the Genesis and spec a build. Looks like it’s a £599 frame at retail so it with £400 odd worth of fork, an SLX full group, wheelset and build kit would probably have come in somewhere in the middle but with all the bits you wanted first time. Haven’t mentioned dropper as you were already planning reuse…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Solaris Max plus or Genesis Tarn 20 2017 (sale price)’ is closed to new replies.