Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Solar Water heating – anyone had experience?
  • uphilla
    Free Member

We have an ideal roof area for some solar panels and need a new boiler anyway – so looking at adding some solar panels at the same time as there is a grant available locally. Wondered if anyone has experience and is it worth doing? Thanks

VanHalen

we have solar water heating on our new property. we have only been there 3 weeks so limited experience.

currently doing an experiment and have turned the boiler off completely. ours was installed circa 1980 so is pobably not hte most efficient but will provide hot water enouggh for us without the boiler on on sunny days. and with 2 lagged holding tanks this lasts 2 days before it gets too chilly to shower comfortably. we had to put the boiler on for 10 mins prior to showering on the last few overcast days but htis water lasts a good day or so at a decent temp in the cloudy weather. we have had the boiler on for circa 30 mins in the 3 weeks.

overall i'm fairly sure we are probaly due a grant of some sort for it from our current supplier but havent looked into it in detail yet.

PV`s are more efficeient in fractured light. grants are soon to be available that will reduce install costs to sensible levels and reduce payback times. you also get a grant for installing the system from your mains provider and also get to 'sell' the excess back as well. (at leat thats my understanding from our CPD lecture last thurday – happy to be corrected)

hope it helps

mark

VanHalen

family – 2 adults, a 1yr old and a 10yr old who likes 2hr showers.

uphilla
    Free Member

Thanks V H – sounds promising. We are looking at water heating system only. I am told the electric generating system is not cost effective as yet.
    We only have option of £600 local authority grant – government grants seem to have been pulled with the cuts.

Dudie
    Free Member

I am told the electric generating system is not cost effective as yet.

The new Feed-in Tariff guarantees you payment of approx 40p on every kWh you produce for the next 25 years. For the average system, this means a payback of around 8-10 years. Still, an expensive initial outlay though.

DaveGr
    Free Member

Looked into it but not done it myself due to cost and pay back period though I live on my own so heating water costs are minimal. A friend had a system installed a couple of years ago and they think it's great.

From a money POV using solar to heat water is not cost efficient if you pay for someone to install it. It may be better if you can DIY – there is a site where you can buy the kit yourself.

Using solar to generate electricity (PV cells) is more cost efficient with the new Feed in tarif (FIT) though figures vary as to when your initial capital outlay is paid off, maybe 10 – 12 years. BUT you have to use a credited installer which pushes the prices up along with a high demand and limited supply (Worldwide shrotage of inverters). Also better if people are in the house during the day which is when you generate most electric from the panels.

Threads on Moneysavingexpert.com are a good place to look though there are some people really anti solar on there.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Depends where you are Dudie, I've recently been privvy to some data showing PV in scotland is bordering on pointless. 80w south facing panels producing 800wh in a (particularly sunny) week.

Solar thermal seems much more usable.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

I got my tubes in March and the boiler has been totally switched off ever since. It's amazing how much energy is there for the taking.
    I have 2M^2 of Ritter tubes and 220 litre hot tank. There have only been a few days when there wasn't ample hot water. We are 2 adults and 1 child.
    The cloudless days have been capturing too much, and the system has been saturating by 2PM. We have been deliberately running it off steaming into paddling pools and stuff. I have the tank set at 70C. If I had TMV installed I might run it hotter, but I also have some plastic pipework from the tank so it's sensible to leave it there.

I'd expect to run without any additional water heating for about 8 months of the year at the rate it's going now. A sucession of cool cloudy days will see the tank unspectacularly hot, but so far I haven't experienced that.

For anyone interested, I also got 2.2KWP of PV just over 3 weeks ago, and have already generated 250KWH, 2/3 of which has gone back into the grid. My electricity meter runs backwards..

coffeeking
    Free Member

mountaincarrot – where do you live? That's good going on the PV.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

I'm in Surrey. My 2.35 KWP (It is actually 2.35 not 2.2) provides 1.98KW (I have never quite seen 2KW yet!) at middle of the day sun. As the roof is only 30 degrees angle (it is due South), I think that's a pretty good figure. The panels are Yingli's.

spacemonkey

uphilla, where are you based?

I used to work in that field (until 2007) and still have contacts for various engineers/installers.

uphilla
    Free Member

Hi Spacemonkey – based near Northampton

spacemonkey

Hmm, unfortunately I don't directly know anyone who covers that area, but I reckon I know someone who knows someone. Will ask the question and report back if they do.

IMO, a correctly designed and installed solar thermal system can give you a return so long as you're using "all that free hot water." Great if you've a 200l tank running off a conventional (non-combi) boiler in a 3 bed south-facing property with a partner and two kids who shower every day etc. Take this example and scale up = fine. Scale down = not always nearly so good.

spacemonkey

Just heard back – I'll have a name and number for you tomorrow.

spacemonkey

Uphilla, YGM

timbur
    Free Member

They're great.
    Had ours for 3-4 years and it provides water up to 80 degrees at this time of year.
    Down South with a south facing roof so we get as much as there is all day.
    Had it plumbed into the dishwasher and washing machine for a while as well as we were doing re-usable nappies when my lad was younger.
    Tim

toons
    Free Member

Geoff

I've got it, been using it for 1.5 yrs, it was already in the property when we bought it.

Make sure you get a tank that stands up.

Email me for further info.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Solar Water heating – anyone had experience?’ is closed to new replies.