Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)
  • Solar Storm X2 – Mid term report
  • shaggmiester
    Free Member

Just bought one of them torchy recommended batteries fudge posted for the x2 light I have, forgot that I’ll need a different charger 😕
    Does torchy do chargers for them batteries or will my x2 charger charge it? Cheers

grum
    Free Member

Think your X2 charger should work (if it doesn’t blow up 🙂 ). You might have to shove the connector in a bit more than usual.

Finally had an email from Lightmalls saying my X2 has been sent back to them after never managing to get through customs for some reason. Ordered 9th September!

p8ddy
    Free Member

shaggmiester…

As Grum has said, your stock charger will work with the battery.

If your charger goes to boot hill, Torchy should be able to sort you out with a charger.

p8ddy
    Free Member

Early morning thought…

In the interests of saiting the STW hive mind, I’m considering NOT returning my faulty charger/battery, but instead opening it up so STWers can look and see if the construction looks shady.

What say you guys?

kamenev
    Free Member

Grum – what did they advise you to do? Are they going to send it out again? I recently ordered a light from Lightmalls – I wonder if I’ll get it? The problem seems to be the battery packs!

grum
    Free Member

Mine didn’t have a battery pack with it, it was just the head unit. I’ve asked them to cancel – in the meantime I ordered another one from ebay and it arrived within a couple of weeks.

I may just have been unlucky as I think some people who ordered after me have got theirs. I googled after ordering and found some bad stuff about Lightmalls though – some of the stuff they sell seems to be fake versions of the already cheapo chinese lights!

scu98rkr
    Free Member

The LCC purposed some resigns to lorry to make them more city (not just cyclist pedatrian scooter and other cars users) friendly.

click here

Seems like a good new just start introducing charges to lorries that dont match that spec.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Just ordered the Solarstorm head unit £13
    Battery from Torchy 34.99
    Charger for £9 (UK plug and CE Certified with 12 month warranty)

All in £57.00 I think that’s a Bargain!
    I suppose the proof will be in a few months if its still running. 😀

AlexSimon

£13 is under the import tax threshold anyway (currently £15), so no duty or vat payable on just the light unit.

jools182
    Free Member

What’s the beam pattern like on the x2?

Ive got a decent light for the bars, I’m looking for a cheapish helmet light with more throw

turbo1397
    Free Member

@fudge9202.. what charger did you get for £9? 🙂

tim83
    Free Member

bought an X2 from ebay seller ellisblgbkoutlets

a couple of issues that someone may be able to advise me on and a question….

issues
    1. The battery pack (reading above it has a lower mAh rating than stated) had the incorrect connector on it for the light, the female connector was too small for the male end, the screw cap to provide the waterproofing was too large for the female outer thread. Contacted the seller and he has sent me a very polite reply saying that this must have been a warehouse issue and he will send me another battery. Now i’m expecting a replacement pack i have carefully drilled out (no inuendo) the female connector so it fits the male however the screw cap is still a loose fit over the top.
    2. When turning the light on after connecting it to the battery pack the 3 LEDs light up.
    First click – low mode
    Second click – mid mode
    Third click – High mode and then 3 times out of 4 the light switches off
    Strobe mode works if you hold down the button on either low or high settings but fails on high always.

Once the light has turned itself off the cable has to be disconnected and reconnected to reactivate the unit, until this is done nothing will turn the light back on.

Is this the same for everyone who has bought this light?

Question – if the battery does indeed have a much lower mAh rating – will putting (2 x 3.7 batteries in serial) x3 in parallel or x4 in parallel increase the life of the battery or are you just summating crap batteries?

I have some 2 battery holders coming that will allow me to create a long thin battery to put along a bar nice and snug.

new to the forum

Tim

brassneck

Now i’m expecting a replacement pack i have carefully drilled out (no inuendo) the female connector so it fits the male however the screw cap is still a loose fit over the top.

IME this isn’t the area to worry about water anyway, it’s the battery pack itself. My old standard push to fit MagicShine got many soakings, but battery in a sandwich bag inside the little velcro bag saw it right.
    Main thing to be careful of – it won’t fall out mid descent. I had to give the old batteries a good old shove to conenct properly, but been fine ever since.

Your battery sounds faulty from the light behaviour. I get over an hour on high, though you should keep it moving to cool it – if its instant off its faulty I reckon.

Paralleling will increase run times yes. If a cell is actually faulty though you just have a larger capacity doorstop 🙂

zippykona

Who is quickest for head units? A quick look at eBay comes up with nearly a month delivery.

tim83
    Free Member

the seller i used was £29 posted and arrived 2 days after clicking the button – came with the crap battery that i am going to doctor.

zippykona

Tim who was that?

tim83
    Free Member

ellisblgbkoutlets

link – http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Dexcel-Electronics?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

it seems that he is now away/out of stock for a short while 🙁

It might not be a bad thing for you as it means i can sus out how decent the item he’s supplied is.

Will update here soon.

T

fudge9202
    Free Member

So my light has arrived and with this package all rigged up I tested the duration on high.
    Just ordered the Solarstorm head unit £13
    Battery from Torchy 34.99
    Charger for £9 (UK plug and CE Certified with 12 month warranty)

All in £57.00 I think that’s a Bargain!

Extremely happy at a runtime on high of over 4hrs on full charge, awesome, also spread and brightness of light is great.
    No complaints here!

legend
    Free Member

Has nobody else noticed that they don’t actually fit 31.8mm bars properly? It will go on, but the radius of the mount looks like it’s for 25.4 instead. A rubber shim underneath appears to help the grip a bit, will probably file it into the correct shape though.

Once the light has turned itself off the cable has to be disconnected and reconnected to reactivate the unit, until this is done nothing will turn the light back on.

Is this the same for everyone who has bought this light?

Yours is broken.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Fudge were did you get a charger for £9?

fudge9202
    Free Member

YoKaiser this one was recommended by Torchy and also rang the sellers and verified everything with them re fitting etc
    THIS ONE
    http://www.bikelightsuk.com/accessories/uk_mains_magicshine_charger_P580.html

fudge9202
    Free Member

So after 4hrs 50 mins the battery from Torchy finally gave up and needed to be charged, quite impressive and the light stayed bright during this time with little dipping in power.

jim25

Thats a good result. My solarstorm lasts about 50 mins now if its been charged all day!
    Think I’ll get myself a new battery then!

jim25

so if the magicshine charger will work does that mean that a battery from a magicshine 872 would power the solarstorm and also fit the same connecter??

fudge9202
    Free Member

Jim purely from a performance point of view I’d get the one from Torchy.

z1ppy

Jim yes, due to the SSX2 power connector having an extra o-ring it can nned a hard squeeze to make it fit together. You can apparently remove the o-ring to make it easier, I left it on to improve weather proofing.

zippykona

Jim I’ve used my 872 battery on my solar storm but have found the 872 light unit better.

jim25

Well I’ve just connected my solarstorm battery up to me magicshine charger to see what that does.

I like the magicshine 872, but find the solarstorm a better size and weight for my helmet really. I keep bashing the 872 on branches as it seems to sit so high above the helmet.

I’ll try the 872 battery next week on the solarstorm, but will prob get another battery to get them both usuable.

z1ppy

Jim have you compared beams out of interest?
    As I’ve seen a 872 in the past (got nicked, so can’t repeat) and there no way I’d agree with zippykona that the 872 is better than the SSX2. Yes it’s good light with a nice floody beam but no penetration unlike the XML LED’s in the SSX2.

jim25

I’ve got a hope vision 4, 872 and just bought a SSX2 for my head.

The hope was brilliant, the batteries are amazing, still going strong 2 years later, the light itself is just lacking on overall light compared to the newer lights available now.

Magicshine is great too, battery not as good as the hope but not far off in terms of endurance. Good powerful light, much brighter than the hope.

Solarstorm, light wise is amazing, easily the most powerful/brightest of the 3, but the battery is terrible. But then it was the cheapest out of all 3.

I’ve been using the hope on my bars and the SS on my helmet and its been a great combination

jim25

The hope gives a good spread of light aimed close (3-4 bike lengths) and the SS I have on my head pointed out further on full power, works really well as has good power

z1ppy

See I think zippyk’s got a duff SSX2 (head) unit or a very poor one, going from his comments. Yeah my SSX2 battery was duff too, but a replacement was cheap (battery box and using old 18650’s I already own), so I’ve lost no sleep over it

campkoala
    Free Member

ha ha.. ohms law innit? 🙄

philfive
    Free Member

Quick update on this light.

The light is very floody and it’s like bringing the sun for a ride, which has already been said. I bought the light without a battery due to all the issues so I decides to use the battery I had for my Fluxient u2 and this gave me over 3 hours of medium and high riding and I still had 1 bar left.
    If anyone can get these fluxing batteries then I’d recommend them as they definitely give you enough range.

gt900uk
    Free Member

Just got one of these from lightmalls and my m8 got one from eBay. His has glow in the dark rings in the front lens and mine doesn’t. Is one of them not genuine?

philfive
    Free Member

Mine doesn’t have glow in the dark rings either.

fudge9202
    Free Member

been using this regularly over the last 10 days and with the battery from torchy I am consistently getting 3.5-4hrs on high. it seems that the light is good quality made much better with the use of a quality battery and to overcome the charger problem of explosion a new UK one can be purchased for under a tenner

DaveE

What are these like in comparison to Solarstorm and Fluxient battery upgrade. Torchy-Oriole-2x-XM-L-T6

aphex_2k
    Free Member

So are the ones without GITD rings copies of an already cheap light? Or ones that have been assigned to the “not passed” bin then sold on? Curious. I have one in the post so interested to see which one I get!

z1ppy

So are the ones without GITD rings copies of an already cheap light?

No, I’ve followed the MTBR thread about these (well before any STW post) and got a SSX2 about two months or so ago… no glow in the dark ring or mentioned in the 1st 10 pages on MTBR. The GITD ring is a new feature of the lights, I have it on my old XML unit from Smudge, it doesn’t make the light any more likely to be better or worse…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Solar Storm X2 – Mid term report’ is closed to new replies.