Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Solar power- how does it work with electric meters?
  • mattyfez

Currently looking into solar pannels, one bit that’s confusing me is what happens at the electric meter.
    Assuming it’s plugged in ‘downstream of the meter’ into the circuit breaker box, and no battery bank, does the solar power addition just cause the meter to go more slowly, or on sunny days, stop altogether?

pj-slay
    Free Member

I’m not sure the specifics of how my in-laws meter was set up but it went backwards when the panels were producing a lot of electricity. I’ve not noticed any odd behaviour by our meter since our panels went up other than our bills go down quite a bit in the summer when the panels supply most of what we need.

mattyfez

Thanks, it’s all a bit confusing and lots of companies ‘offering deals’ but there must be a catch. I figured I could DIY it as I’ve succesfully fitted new breakers and ring mains before.

whitestone
    Free Member

My brother’s got about 50m^2 of solar panels on a barn roof – his meter definitely goes backwards at times! Cue quarterly “questions” from the electricity supplier about strange meter readings.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Has he told his dno and meter operator that his generating?

eskay

Mine shows rEd:

On an electricity meter, “rEd” stands for “Reverse Energy Detected”. It’s an optional message displayed on digital meters to prevent electricity fraud. If you try to bypass the meter or wire it backwards, it will show this code to notify your supplier.

However, rEd doesn’t always mean that your meter has been tampered with.

If you have solar panels installed, your meter may display the Reverse Energy Detected message as well. This can happen if your property is producing more energy than it’s using and exporting it to the grid. If this is the case, rEd doesn’t mean there is an error or that the meter has been tampered with, so there’s no need to worry. It simply states that you have been exporting energy.

trail_rat
    Free Member

If your meters pre ~95 you have more chance of it going backward

Ours doesn’t

Trying to get a smart meter installed so we can get an export tariff as it looks like we can only get through about 1/4 of what we generate on a Sunny day. (22-24kwh on a sunny day ….. Our house usage AVE across a whole day was 10kwh….but you don’t generate across a whole day and I’m not showering in the middle of the day etc. )

Meter stoped most of the time it’s light and when it’s moderately sunny stays stopped when washing machine or dishwashers on.

Really needs a battery to get the most from it these days how ever the cost of batteries worth having appear to be going up Nd up

During the summer it’s about halfed our grid consumption. Yet we have generated 502kwh this month and consumed 130 from the grid. Normally we would consume about 250 looking at last year’s use in the same month.

So that 380 to the grid . Or about 140 quid in export tarrif

espressoal
    Free Member

I have a friend that recently installed solar panels, basically panels screwed onto the roof and a box thing on the wall, his meter goes backwards when he doesn’t use much electricity, then goes forward again when the shower is running or whatever, idea being if you get the balance right and generate as much as you use it just goes up and down without costing much, might be an idea to work out how much you use and try to match it in panels.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You’ll only find out if the meter goes backwards once you have the panels.

Bit late to be trying to be trying shadow games

whitestone
    Free Member

@onzadog – yes, every bloody quarter!

He’s a very old meter and consumer unit, probably pre 1895!!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Spot the math fail. 0.04 not 0.4 . 15 quid not 150 quid 🙂 which is why you want your meter to go backwards as you get retail price for your generated energy as oppose to brown price .

oikeith

OP, if your meter has a backstop, the meter only records electricity being used, so during a sunny period the meter might not record any usage as the panels are generating enough or more elec then you need. Then on a cloudy day for example, you may see the meter record usage, then stop as the clouds move and the panels generate again.

If you don’t have a backstop, then there could be times when the panels generate more elec then is being used which then causes the meter to go backwards. A meter going backwards could land you with a shocker of a bill as the supplier might assume high usage has meant the meters leapt forwards 90,000 kwh or 900,000 if 6 dial. But a phone call to them and mention solar panels should get it sorted.

If you’re concerned about it, call your supplier who will typically exchange the meter for a newer meter with backstop free of charge.

sharkbait
    Free Member

^ this.

You’re a brave man if you allow the meter to run backwards for any length of time.
    The supplier has the right to charge what they think you’ve used and that could get very spendy.

trail_rat
    Free Member

If you’re concerned about it, call your supplier who will typically exchange the meter for a newer meter with backstop free of charge.

Once this has been done ….

the below doesnt happen.

You’re a brave man if you allow the meter to run backwards for any length of time.
    The supplier has the right to charge what they think you’ve used and that could get very spendy.

wzzzz
    Free Member

I have a smart meter and solar.

I also have a generation meter on the solar install.

solar panels -> Inverter -> gen meter -> house -> smart meter -> grid

Basically if you use what you produce the meter does not tick up. A modern meter will never go down or backwards.

I am on a feed in tariff, I get paid 5p a KwH when I ring in the generation meter readings.

Electric costs 12p KwH to buy.

So you don’t want to be exporting any to the grid as it costs more to buy than sell. Especially if you have a DIY install that you will not be able to get a FiT on.

Also remember I get paid the FiT on everything I generate, even if I use it all….so i get paid for it, use and don’t pay for it….

Hence I also have a Solic200 solar diverter (£150), when the suns out the solic200 will divert any extra into my immersion heater for hot water. Meaning I burn less oil heating water each day.

If you have an ancient meter that will run backwards…. then lucky you, effectively you get to sell electricity for the same price as buying….but be aware enquiries as above from electric companies.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Especially if you have a DIY install that you will not be able to get a FiT

Doesn’t matter who fits it Won’t get FIT now anyway.

If you DIY you won’t get an MGS cert and without an MGS cert you can’t open SEG tariff account.

But as you say you don’t really want to be exporting anyway . Using it is king.

cultsdave
    Free Member

Anyone got an Inversion Diverter? Any good? Easy to install?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Solar power- how does it work with electric meters?’ is closed to new replies.