Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Solar Panel trackworld
  • miketually
    Free Member

We’ve a south-facing roof, with no shade.

1920s semi, two adults, two kids. Eight 300W panels, with a SolarEdge inverter for individual panel monitoring. No storage, but it’s battery storage-ready.

Is solar a no brainer, or did I make an expensive mistake last night?

gobuchul
    Free Member

It was a no brainer for me.

High electricity consumption due to commercial requirements.

3 phase power supply and lots of roof space, so put a 12kw system in.

Worse case it should pay for itself in 7 years.

A much better return than leaving £12k in the bank.

Can I ask you how much you paid?

Moses

It depends how much you paid, and how.
    Is the contract going to affect a future sale, or are you buying outright?

Greybeard

It mainly depends how much you paid, assuming your supplier meets all the criteria for you getting the FIT payment. But there’s a possible catch with a 1920s semi, depending how many insulation upgrades it has – to get the 4p/kWh FIT payment, you need to have an Energy Performance Certificate showing that the house meets level D or better, see here

miketually
    Free Member

Can I ask you how much you paid?

We’re paying just under £7k for a 2.4kW system.

It depends how much you paid, and how.

It’s on finance, with a reasonable low interest rate and the option of overpaying a lump each year. The annual FIT ‘cheque’ will go to overpaying.

you need to have an Energy Performance Certificate showing that the house meets level D or better

I knew that there was a reason I asked on here! I don’t think the house a D or better 8 years ago when we bought it, but we’ve made some improvements since.

gobuchul
    Free Member

We’re paying just under £7k for a 2.4kW system.

That’s quite expensive. Have you had any other quotes? Those Solar edge inverter’s are expensive and “nice to have” but don’t really justify their extra cost. I was advised to just get a normal inverter.

My panels were about £200 each and the inverters were about £500.

I got 2 quotes and both broke down the numbers to show equipment costs and installation etc separate.

I knew that there was a reason I asked on here! I don’t think the house a D or better 8 years ago when we bought it, but we’ve made some improvements since.

The installer normally has a “tame” EPC assessor. 😉

sharkbait
    Free Member

3 phase power supply and lots of roof space, so put a 12kw system in.

We also have 3 phase and loads of roof space…. so tempted to add a further chunk to our existing 4Kw installation.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Solar Panel trackworld’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.