Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Softshell du jour
  • clubby

Needing a mid weight softshell for autumn and the less extreme winter days in Scotland. Current go to is an ancient Gore Windstopper, but like me it’s seen better days.
    What’s good (and available)?

convert

Watching with interest. Need exactly the same.

birky
    Free Member

And me

footflaps

Perfetto, Gore Phantom / a n other Gore Infinium jacket.

matt_outandabout

Cheap Scott running Pertex-alike here, with various baselayers on underneath depending on weather.

StirlingCrispin

When my Gore Phantom wears out I’ll probably replace it with something by Galibier:

https://www.galibier.cc/long-sleeve-wear/

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I like the Rab Borealis windproof. Very very light.

droplinked

No idea if it’s any good yet but I’ve just ordered a Endura Hummvee Windproof Shell Jacket which are cheap and in-stock at various retailers.

I always boil in the bag wearing proper waterproofs, so I’ve been on the hunt for a light thin softshell/windproof with a bit of water resistance. And planning on layering up depending on conditions.

Del

ME echo is on my list.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gore phantom here, which refuses to die.

Echo looks good, I’m a bit of a Mountain Equipment jacket tart, so not to be trusted. 😉

clubby

Funnily, it’s a Phantom that I’m looking to replace/supplement. Did look at the new version but seems to be even more of a roadie cut. My old one is just long enough at the front while mtbing. Never used it without the sleeves either, seems a bit of a waster feature on me.

Thanks for suggestions but a lot of the look a bit thin or more of a wind shell. Not a fan of a lot of layers, prefer a base layer and single thicker outer.

onewheelgood

I’m looking for something like this too – my old Foska has just about had it after 15 years or so, and they don’t seem to be making them any more. What is today’s equivalent of an Endura Stealth?

stumpy01

I got one of these from Decathlon earlier this year. It was a bit later in the year, so I probably only wore it a few times, but it seems like a decent top for the price:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/road-cycling-winter-jacket-racer/_/R-p-311996?mc=8569284&c=BLACK

It sizes up pretty small – I am normally a medium in most jerseys, but ended up wearing XL in this.
    I haven’t tried it in any proper rain, but the water seemed to bead well on it when it got a bit wet.

They do a more expensive version which they recommend for colder weather:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/very-cold-weather-winter-road-cycling-jacket-racer-xtrem/_/R-p-305746?mc=8606072&c=YELLOW

akira

Just picked up a chpt3 rocka jacket on sale, like a gabba but posh.

footflaps

Thanks for suggestions but a lot of the look a bit thin or more of a wind shell. Not a fan of a lot of layers, prefer a base layer and single thicker outer.

They’re thin as you generate a lot of heat riding and you risk over heating with a thicker top. All of my jackets, bar the deepest winter ones, are only a few mm thick. Blocking out the wind makes the biggest difference in terms of staying warm.

clubby

@footflaps thanks I understand the principle, it’s just I find a number of thinner layers annoying compared to one thicker one. You always gets one that wrinkles in the wrong place. I also find ventilating to cool down more difficult, as you end up having to juggle multiple zips. Also can never be bothered to stop to shed layers. Prefer one thicker layer with one zip to regulate temperature as needed. I know it’s not perceived as best, but it works well for me.

onewheelgood

are only a few mm thick.

I’ve never seen a softshell that’s more than a couple of mm thick. In fact, I’ve just been out to the garage with the calipers and my Foska and my Stealth are both about 1mm. Which would make them about 4 or 5 times thicker than a waterproof/windproof shell, but still not exactly bulky.

Klunk
    Free Member

Endura Windchill II

Fat-boy-fat

+1 for Rab Borealis. I also have a Berghaus cadence, which is better when things get colder but you can’t get an equivalent Berghaus unless it is last remaining stock somewhere.

jsync

I like you prefer to have a thicker jacket so gave the nukeproof blackline softshell. I picked mine up for £70 in one of the many sales at wiggle

https://Jacket

tall_martin

Castelli perfetto on the road bike.

Aldi £20 job on the commute.

The castelli is to orange and nice to get muddy, the Aldi is too thick and sweaty for more than a 40 min ride.

I wear a Scott insulated jacket with polarteck insulation on the MTB. Not quite a soft shell but mostly windproof and fine with a bit of light rain.

I’ve been eying a castelli deep winter jacket. At £300 I’d be crying the first time I was off on the MTB or caught some brambles and I dont do a huge amount of road riding when its crappy weather- I’d rather hide on the MTB in the trees

trailwagger
    Free Member

DHB Aeron all winter or deep winter. I have two, one for road duties and one for gravel. Nice thick, warm and shower proof.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-lab-all-winter-polartec-jacket

mudfish

?MADE IN SHEFFIELD?
    That certainly attracts my cash.
    So – not exactly the “softshell” of the marketeers but windproof and quite insulating, so provides very similar function and in many ways is far better? Very soft. Flexible.
    I really like my Teclite (and the uninsulated Curbar) but fir me the Teclite is useful only if it’s pretty cold as I run very hot.
    The Pertex breathes really well too. And dries super fast.
    http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/teclite-shirt/
    There’s a cycle specific version. Also a nice jacket I’d rather like.

MADE IN SHEFFIELD – that’s good eh ?

The Buffalo system is very interesting. The heavier versions are apparently the darling of the mountain rescue crowd and make excellent post ride wear as they dry out what you’re wearing and are very cosy. My Buffalo Super 6 shirt is 25 years old now and still ace.

Really useful “softshell” article
    (Spoiler – Pertex over micro pile wins):
    https://www.andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/the_best_softshell_in_the_world

allanoleary
    Free Member

I’ve got an Endura Windchill, some Bontrager one I was given when I worked at Trek and a Decathlon hi-viz one. The Endura one is the best fitting by far, but the other 2 both have water resistant backs whilst the Endura is a lighter weight, more breathable back panel so not as good in cold rain. I wanted a Gore Phantom but could never justify the price for something I’d wear a handful of times a year.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

MADE IN SHEFFIELD – that’s good eh ?

Stitched in Sheffield I’d imagine,
    Material probably not?

nickc

Really useful “softshell” article

The reason that this system works is that Andy is interested in creating and keeping a “Stable microclimate” under the micro pile and shell jacket. That ambition is not at all possible if you’re doing any sort of “active” mountain biking. I’m pretty sure it would work well if your riding is long distance HR zone 2 type stuff, if fact I reckon it would be ideal in most UK winter weather (wet and warmish), but any kind of higher activity level either repeated hard climbing and techy descending will overwhelm it in short order.

hooli

I have a couple of the Decathlon Triban ones, cheap enough that I don’t worry about mud, brambles and the odd crash as well as a good fit.

FOG

I had a Buffalo back in the day, 30 years ago, but it was far too hot for MTB. It ended up being used for winter walking. I don’t know if they still make the version that is just a shell with no pile lining but that might be a better bet for cycling.

belugabob
    Free Member

Check out the Galibier Mistral jacket.
    Designed to be worn with just a baselayer, and has a neat zipping system for changing ventilation.

https://www.galibier.cc/product/mistral-pro-jacket/

My wife bought me one, recently, but the weather hasn’t justified wearing it, yet.

Bright orange version probably warrants mudguards

footflaps

The Buffalo system is very interesting.

I’d melt to death in a buffalo if I was actually riding a bike. The only time I’d be the right temperature would be just before we set off….

Pretty much all cycling based soft shells are very thin windproof fabrics with a brushed fleece inner. The reason they’re all like that is as soon as you’re doing any real work, you’d be too hot in anything else.

stumpy01

I do like the look of that Galibier Mistral jacket – I’m not sure I need more than one cold weather jacket, but am tempted to put it on my christmas list!

zippykona

I get hot in everything so my endura Mt 500 with it’s amazing zips does the job for me.

mudfish

footflaps wrote:

The Buffalo system is very interesting.
    I’d melt to death in a buffalo if I was actually riding a bike. The only time I’d be the right temperature would be just before we set off..

well, yes for the heavy fleece stuff for sure, but I wouldn’t write of Buffalo as the Teclite IS a very thin microfleece. There’s a bike specific top made of it
    “[a] high activity, mild weather alternative to the Mountain Shirt, when less insulation but maximum wicking is required. Used by Military, Police, Mountain Rescue Teams and outdoor professionals.

It is ideal for hill walking, trekking, climbing, mountain biking and general outdoor activities.”

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/teclite-shirt/

footflaps

I’m not sure I need more than one cold weather jacket

I have three, in order of increasing warth.

Perfetto for cool days around 8-12C

Rapha Winter Jacket for down to maybe 4C

Castelli RoS Alpha 2 for rides around freezing (or below).

I also find using a waterproof jacket adds some flexibility even if its not raining eg if we stop in winter (puncture / mechanical) I just stick on that to add some extra warmth. I often start a ride wearing it and then shove it in a pocket as soon as I warm up (obs whilst riding along).

failedengineer

Polaris used to do a very similar, but cycling specific, top, to that Buffalo. I had one for at least 15 years and only threw it out recently. I wish I hadn’t because it performed at least as well as my Gore Phantom (better really).

stumpy01

footflaps

I have three, in order of increasing warth.

Hmmm, I suppose when you say it like that…

I’ve got boggo standard long sleeve jerseys when it’s a bit cool, although arm warmers and a gilet arguably do a similar job and are more versatile.

I’ve got a really old Endura top which might be an MT500 but not sure. It’s an MTB top but it’s great on the road as the material is thin, but very wind proof. That one generally goes on when it gets to that temp where the cold wind is enough to prevent you warming up, even when working hard.

Then I’ve got the Decathlon softshell linked to above. That is very warm and I likely wouldn’t go out on the bike in conditions where that wasn’t suitable, but I suspect above 6 or 7 degrees it would be too warm.

Like you say, a thin emergency waterproof definitely is a good idea if you end up having to stop unexpectedly.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Softshell du jour’ is closed to new replies.