Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Soft tails
  • ferrals
    Free Member

Has anyone ridden the new soft tails such as the trek procaliber or the BMC teamelite?

Just wondering how much more compliant they feel compared to a regular carbon hardtail? Bike reviews seem to suggest there is a difference but I wonder how noticable it is outside of bike-mag-review-world?  Especially since the procaliber is only active when sitting down.

alextemper
    Free Member

I’ve owned a Procaliber SL, which I’m thinking of selling, for a couple of years and find it rides really well and is comfortable for longer rides. Don’t expect to feel a massive difference as the system is designed more to take the buzz out of the trail rather than absorbing obstacles so you have to treat it like a hardtail. You do get less of the bum bounce which you typically associate with riding a hardtail. You don’t feel it robs you of any effort when laying down the power.

Not ridden the BMC so I can’t comment how active the rear end is over obstacles and when pedalling but it seems an interesting option although if I were to go down that route I’d rather go FS with a Trek Top Fuel.

ferrals
    Free Member

Interesting, thanks. Its something I’ve been mulling over for a while, I’m not planning on changing in the immediate future (no cash!) but I think it could be the best way for me when i do. I’m not mechanically minded enoguh to deal with full sus maintenence but my back does complain sometimes when its really bumpy!

alextemper
    Free Member

The main reason for me choosing the Procaliber was that I use it on the road as well. In fact over the past year, most of its use has been road and gravel based. If I using as intended for off-road use only I would have gone for the Top Fuel.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Soft tails’ is closed to new replies.