Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Soft Roof Racks – experiences / recommendations?
  • geoffj

I’m pondering the idea of getting a soft rack to use on a hire car to transport some skis (in bags) twixt airport and resort.
    Is this a really stupid idea? Any recommendations for brand? Do they not scratch the roof?

TIA

(yeah, it could possibly be in the ski & snowboard thread)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They scratched my roof and got a puncture on the return trip meaning I had to drive 300miles with a 10ft surfboard in the car

I’ve seen foam ones for surfboards which TBH would be a lot better as they never packed down that small or were particularly quick to fit anyway (my bolt on bars are quicker than the old inflatable ones). You’d still need to check the damage waiver as undoubtedly they’d scratch the car and last time I hired a car damage to the roof was specifically excluded, I presumed to stop you driving into height restrictions, but I guess the wording would cover roof racks too.

In short, don’t bother. Hire a van/minibus if you need the extra space.

geoffj

Thnx TINAS – pretty much what I was expecting to hear 🙁

benp1

What hire car is it?

Before I had a roof rack/bars, I carried a ladder on my car roof using towels rolled up to protect the roof, and straps attached to the roof rails.

geoffj

What hire car is it?

Dunno, but something probably focus/golf sized

5lab

just strap them directly to the roof with a towel underneath to stop scratches.

matt_outandabout

Order a bigger hire car and let them know it is for ski’s?

brassneck

I have a foam one for my surf board (7 8 mini mal) – it’s fine on a 206 to Devon and back, but I’d take the S Max with ‘proper’ bars in preference.

The key is to getting the straps through the car and across the board REALLY tight, then stop after a few miles and re tighten. Oh, and put the strpas thorugh the door not the window .. you only do that once 🙂

Not seen any damage, but I’m not sure I’d be confident of that on a hire car, don’t really care on mine.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Soft Roof Racks – experiences / recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.