Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Soffits- repair/replace advice please
  • TomB

The plaster soffits on our 30’s semi are failing- a section fell off last night and some other areas need attention. I’ve got a roofer coming to look, but have no idea on best approach to this- the neighbours have replaced theirs with upvc with vents in- is this the way forward or should we be repairing the original? Fascias and roof look ok to me. Any idea on approximate costs would also be helpful, north cumbria, Keswick area if anyone has any recommendations.

Cheers!

Tom

desperatebicycle

UPVC must be the way forward, cos EVERYONE is getting them done! I ain’t though, mine are wood and I get meself up a ladder and paints em.

jag61

At that age of house are you 100 % sure its plaster? Not usually an external fitting unfortunately more likely Asbestos board of some kind> now some has fallen off can you get masked up to collect a small piece for testing? ( if on floor now keep it wet and covered and keep others away other proper experts may say different )I recently had small soffit tested £12 came back as chrysotile now removed by qualified worker from a site I was on. going for DIY upvc replacement. Stay safe and check out HSE website for more info.

owenh

Unless you want to be quoted 2x the real price and then constant follow up calls offering time limited special dont tell my manager only for you blah blah ‘offers’ dont get Anglian (other big chains prob the same) round or agree to let them look as they are ‘in the area’.
    Was originally quoted > 10k for a 4 bed detached. Two other local companies quoted less than half that and the one I chose did a great job. (Southampton based company if your anywhere near)

footflaps

How can soffits cost £10k?

tjagain

Please don’t put plastic on. Hideous stuff.

TomB

Cheers folks. Definitely doesn’t look like asbestos- it’s come away in chunks like mortar, moulded to the shape of the lathes. No national rip off merchants involved!

skink2020

Please be sure Tom. This sounds remarkably suspect.

cvilla

Lathes mentioned…could be lime?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Soffits- repair/replace advice please’ is closed to new replies.