Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Sodding son of a sod or change for changes sake…
  • boblo
    Free Member

So when did Shitmano change the STI mineral oil filler hole size then (the one the dinky little funnel goes in)? Eh? Eh?

It was nice to find out mid installation when I came to bleed the little buggers. Grrrr. Whyohwhyohwhyohwhy etc.

Job on back-burner and boik now unusable until new funnel adapter shows up <sigh>

joebristol

I wondered about road sti filler size. Haven’t had their mtb brakes for quite a few years due to leaky caliper seals.

Got road stis on a bike I bought where again the caliper seals disintegrated. Got a hope RX4 to replace it and a bleed kit from epic solutions. Had the funnel and some kind of adapter – but it doesn’t fit on the lever. If you go funnel directly it does, but unless you tie the handlebar straight it’s really easy to slip mineral oil everywhere 🤷‍♂️

boblo
    Free Member

Apparently 8000 onwards have a bigger ole. The old style is ~4 or 5mm the new ~6 – 8mm? I tried bleeding by squirting oil in the bigger hole but that was only effective in getting oil all over the garage floor…

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

The joys of never ending compatibility issues, I’ve seen funnel kits with 3 different adapters on Ebay, it’s why I stick with Hope brakes.
    little threads,little bolts with little o-rings to keep the fluid inside, easy to lose one then your stuffed, syringes,funnels, no thanks.

coatesy
    Free Member

Been like that for a few years now. The most important advice I can give you is to only nip the bleed screw up, if you tighten it any more than that, you’ll hear a little click, the bleed screw will gall in it’s thread, and you’ll have an absolute nightmare getting it back out.

cp

I use this bleed kit which has suitable adaptors in.

The syringe are remarkably good and loads better than the medical syringes I’d previously been using.

boblo
    Free Member

@cp blimey, that’s a comprehensive pile of yellow plastic. If it’s not in there, you’d be really annoyed mid job.

I have the Shimano funnel which was fine for MTB and the last time I bought new road obv some time ago. I bought some Ultegra recently and found the change mid job. It hadn’t even occurred to me they might have changed. I hate stopping mid job with a bike that worked perfectly before now in bits waiting for the Postie.

No real problem as I have other road and gravel bikes (redundancy) for that very reason.

belugabob
    Free Member

Well, I’ve used the funnel on my MTB and road bikes, for a while, now,and wasn’t aware of this change.
    Luckily, whilst awaiting delivery of a GRX equipped gravel bike, I started looking at various GRX related articles, and stumbled on the news about the need for a funnel adapter.
    I now have one, saying my toolbox, awaiting NBD

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114370374530?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=FfrQ3aCETY-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=-YcP5ErmQsW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

…if it helps anybody

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.