Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Sodastream or…
  • the-muffin-man

Thinking of getting one of these as I really like my sparkling water. And this is all I’d use it for (I remember the rank concentrates from the 70s!).

I had been drinking 15 to 20 500ml bottles of the stuff a week but in the last 3 months I’ve cut it out completely to save on plastic waste (although I always recycled the bottle). But I’m really missing it – tap water or squash just isn’t the same.

Trouble is the eco-debate about Sodastream seems to say recycling plastic bottle could be a better option than transporting gas around, and some bottle inevitably ending up in landfill.

Or is there another way of making my water fizzy! 🙂

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Aside from the ecological debate about using a Sodastream there is also the ethical one. Are you happy buying from a company based in a country that has clear apartheid policies in place?

SodaStream

Worth bearing in mind.

nedrapier

blimey, my work url filter is blocking bds list as it’s tagged as “Hate Speech”!

solarider
    Free Member

Nothing to see here. The factory closed in 2014.

Buy one. Better than creating more single use plastic.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve had one for nearly two years. Use it multiple times daily, the bottles hold up well. CO2 cannister lasts about a month give or take. The range is about the cheapest I’ve found for replacement cannisters at £9.99 (make sure you take the old one with you for the depsit back).
    Don’t put the bottles in the dishwasher on a hot wash, they get a bit melty!

the-muffin-man

Just ordered this bundle from Argos – I’ll enjoy revisiting the 70s tonight! 🙂

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8358321

croe
    Free Member

Someone’s getting busy with the fizzy tonight!

CraigW
    Free Member

Still an Israeli company, supporting the Zionist policies of the Israeli government. Seems the new factory is reliant on labour from displaced Bedouin people.

PrinceJohn

Still an Israeli company, supporting the Zionist policies of the Israeli government. Seems the new factory is reliant on labour from displaced Bedouin people.

We have a Sodastream, unfortunately we didn’t know about this when we bought it. Otherwise we wouldn’t’ve. I don’t see they have any competition though?

croe
    Free Member
    the-muffin-man

Well at least were saving the baby turtles now – so, you know, it’s not all bad!

rickmeister

Fortunately in Germany they reverse vend glass bottles so we do this.

Buying fizzy water in glass bottles is cheaper than making it with a SodaStream, litre for litre. As long as I take the empties to the supermarket for the deposit, I just pay for the water and nothing else, nothing gets landfilled or pseudo-recycled.

Plus, we don’t have another “thing” on the kitchen worktop.

Why reverse vending doesn’t happen in the UK, I don’t know

chakaping
    Free Member

Because we are a shit country full of ****?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Perhaps you should have read the whole article, lest you make yourself look foolish?

eulach

Best stop drinking 7up and pepsi, eating doritos and puffed wheat and watching match of the day then.

seadog101

Bought one on Amazon, only as it was 60% off, damn fine decision, only wish we’d done it sooner.

alpin
    Free Member

I, like rickmeister, live in the Vaterland. I’ve no idea what the attraction is of fizzy water, especially when the tap water here in southern Bavaria comes directly from the alps.

Nevertheless, the Germans go crazy for this shit.

And the crazy bastids carry cases of the stuff up to their flats despite the tap water being of superb quality.

**** fizzy water. And **** any companies from Isreal. 🛑 🇮🇱

solarider
    Free Member

Sootyandjim – not feeling particularly foolish. Just vindicated:

Until 2015 its principal manufacturing facility was located in the Mishor Adumim industrial park in the West Bank, creating controversy and a boycott campaign.[12][13][14] In October 2015, under pressure from BDS activists, SodaStream closed its factory in Ma’ale Adumim, and moved to a new facility in Lehavim,[15] and was therefore forced to lay off more than 500 Palestinian workers

Every story has 2 sides. I am not defending displacement or the action of large corporations, but on balance I consider it a lesser issue than the 1 way street that is killing the only planet that we have. (BTW the Soda Stream we have wasn’t made in Israel so I can only assume that they have other factories).

sootyandjim
    Free Member

not feeling particularly foolish. Just vindicated

Vindicated? Oh please.

No matter where a Sodastream product is made ultimately they are an Israel-based company and pay a large amount of tax in Israel. Thus buying the products of Israeli companies helps support an apartheid government.

Israel under Netanyahu is increasingly displaying the trappings of a fascist state, especially since his ‘Nation State Bill’ became law. If you’re happy to fund such a despicable regime then I’m afraid that doesn’t speak much of you.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Why reverse vending doesn’t happen in the UK, I don’t know

We used to in the UK. When I were a lad we had a deposit scheme for glass bottles. But not so sure the additional co2 generated by the trucks and vans collecting the bottles back and there water and energy use age to clean and sterilise the bottles ready for re-use is better than recycling plastic bottles. I doubt it.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

We used to in the UK. When I were a lad we had a deposit scheme for glass bottles. But not so sure the additional co2 generated by the trucks and vans collecting the bottles back and there water and energy use age to clean and sterilise the bottles ready for re-use is better than recycling plastic bottles. I doubt it.

I remember that in the fifties and sixties. I also remember photographing stock samples for huge pub chains who would have to supply multiple crates of each of their beers so I could find a non reused bottle to photograph. Golden days 😊. I bet they don’t reuse bottles any more.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. the trucks that deliver drinks in glass bottles also have to return to the depot, so I’d imagine that the impact of re-using isn’t as high as you might think.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Sodastream or…’ is closed to new replies.