Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Soda to Solaris thoughts. .
  • 663sqd
    Free Member

Currently a cotic soda rider, and toying with the idea of getting a solaris. . The soda is great but would like a more robust do it all bike without too many compromises as the soda has many strengths. . The solaris ticks most boxes. .will it tick more boxes than my soda in terms of all uk riding. .from xc to trail centres to peaks to highlands. . I’m thinking yes, convince me otherwise. .

663sqd
    Free Member

Just seen the other recent post. . Gives a good idea!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Own a Soda, Cy was nice enough to loan me a Solaris for a weekend. I’m 5’10”, both frames were/are medium. Rode it in the Peaks for 7 hrs

Compared to my 22.5lb Soda, the Solaris felt a bit porky – not surprising given the bigger wheels and all round heavier frame and componentry.

The handling didn’t take long to get used to – needs a bit more body english to hop and manual.

I really struggled with it in proper tight trialsy gnadgery stuff – just too damn long with the extra overhang generated by the bigger wheels. I might adjust to that over time – not sure.

It devoured road/fireroad like theres no tomorrow – very easy indeed (semi slick tyres both ends no doubt helped). Found it a bit of a dog on technical climbs though. Grip not an issue – just getting the bike over stuff. Maybe the extra effort involved in making the heavier wheel change direction rapidly? Dunno, but it didn’t excite me to ride up gnarly stuff.

Once pointed DH though – blindingly, effortlessly, fast across the rocks, and on a muddy off-camber descent it just gripped more like my Uzzi would than a xc-hardtail. It should have tucked the front wheel and chucked me off, but it didn’t…

Post ride thoughts? Well bar my hands, I was significantly less battered. However my thumbs were bruised fairly heavily (1st time that’s happened since I got suspension forks!). Something of a reminder that your still smashing through rocks on a 120mm fork, but going a lot faster than normal! It was also slightly uninvolving. Point it and hang on and you’d get to the bottom of the hill very rapidly without having to do much in the way of line picking.

Would I buy one? Possibly if I ever break my Soda. It’s a different set of compromises, but overall no better, no worse.

ndthornton
    Free Member

The Soda has no weaknesses that I am aware of……

663sqd
    Free Member

Thanks Jon for your detailed and very informative post. . Gives me a few things to consider! A lot of my local stuff is twisty singletrack in woodland, which the soda copes really well with as I’m sure you know. . In an ideal world I suppose having one of each is the ideal. . Interesting re its downhill capabilities ! The soda I find lacks a bit for downhills even with a 120 fork. .

MoreCashThanDash

But just in case – what size is your Soda and will you post to the Midlands….? 😉

cubicboy
    Free Member

I have a Soda Mk11 in medium that I’m selling soon. I built it up less than a year ago from a mint frame and all new components. I live in Nottingham.

– Cotic Soda frame
    – Hope Hoops Pro 2 Evo ZTR Crest Wheelset
    – Fox 32 Float 100 RLC Fit 15QR Kashima
    – Shimano XT M785 10 Speed Disc Groupset
    – Hope Tech X2 EVO Disc Brakes
    – Easton Haven Carbon Riser Bar
    – Thomson Elite X4 MTB Stem
    – Thomson Elite Inline Seat Post
    – Specialized Toupe
    – Continental Mountain King Protection Black Chilli tyres
    – Hope headset
    – Hope bottom bracket
    – Hope QR seat clamp
    – ODI grips

It’s a really lovely bike

bol

I went from Soda to Solaris. For the sort of riding I do, and being very tall, I have no regrets.

The soda was lovely. I had a late Taiwanese one followed by a Lynskey, which was perfect and got ridden everywhere from the Lakes to Afan and raced a fair bit too. With a change of tyres and bars it never felt out of its depth.

The problem was it was slightly small for me, and I was 29er curious. I bought a cheap Scandal to try, and after riding them back to back and finding the low spec Scandal to be considerably quicker point to point than the blingy Soda, and more comfortable too, the decision was made.

Two points that I think are relevant: 1. Most of my riding is on pretty pedally, lumpy but not particularly technical trails. I might have thought differently if I spent most of my time in Wales. 2. While I’d agree with much of what Jon said, he was riding it at 120 and I have my Solaris at 100. I think 100mm forks on the Solaris are probably closer in feel to 120s on a Soda. I always thought that was the sweet spot.

Don’t get rid of the soda until you’re sure you like the Solaris – even if it just means hanging the frame up for a bit. They’re not that easy to come by now if you change your mind.

That said, I’ve had my Solaris for nearly two years now and have no intention of swapping it unless Cy bites the bullet and does a ti one. Haven’t looked back.

663sqd
    Free Member

Thanks Bol, I think as always a demo is the way forward. . I run a 120 on the soda and feels spot on. . Have flows and crests which I can change dependant on where I am riding. . Luckily a friend of mine has a solaris. . So i can have a first hand glance at one . .
    I agree in not flogging till sure as it is an immaculate 2012 lynskey. .
    A rocket was my other idea, but sits still in the 26inch world, would like to see a 650b rocket 😉
    Comfort is becoming a large factor due to a bit of neck problems. . The solaris ‘may’
    win on that front and be a good general riding bike. . A second hand solaris build may be the way to go, and keep the soda to . . . well just to let it look sexy in my garage!

bol

The Soda is an amazing bike, and the Solaris feels remarkably similar, if a good pound or more heavier build for build. I think mine worked out just north of 23lbs before I stuck a Reverb and heavier brakes on.

Much as I am sure the Rocket is a great bike, it would feel a lot more different from the Soda than the Solaris would.

messiah
    Free Member

Metalheart who posts on here went from a Soul/Soda to a Solaris. A quick use of the the search facility came up with this older thread where he comments on it.

ndthornton
    Free Member

– Cotic Soda frame
    – Hope Hoops Pro 2 Evo ZTR Crest Wheelset
    – Fox 32 Float 100 RLC Fit 15QR Kashima
    – Shimano XT M785 10 Speed Disc Groupset
    – Hope Tech X2 EVO Disc Brakes
    – Easton Haven Carbon Riser Bar
    – Specialized Toupe
    – Continental Mountain King Protection Black Chilli tyres
    – Hope headset
    – Hope bottom bracket
    – Hope QR seat clamp
    – ODI grips

That’s really weird – I built my Soda to almost that exact spec?

Mine….

– Cotic Soda frame
    – Hope Hoops Pro 2 Evo DT Swiss xr400 Wheelset
    – Fox F32 120 RL Fit 15QR Kashima
    – Shimano XT 2×9 Groupset
    – Hope Tech X2 Disc Brakes
    – Easton Monkey-lite Carbon Riser Bar
    – Bontrager Saddle
    – Nobby Nic tyres
    – Hope headset
    – Hope bottom bracket
    – Hope QR seat clamp
    – ??? grips

663sqd
    Free Member

Thanks to a very kind mate, I demo’d his solaris all weekend . . Superb, I’m sold. .for all uk riding, yet still a cross country angle. . The soda will be going . . . The solaris I find is smoother, faster, more planted and great fun. . Built up nice and light without compromises on strength is the way forward. . I found the fox ctd forks which run at either 100 or 120mm were superb and having the versatility was great. . I would recommend a solaris to anyone who wants a bike for all uk riding. . It really is a superb frame. .

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Soda to Solaris thoughts. .’ is closed to new replies.