Soccerball Goooaaaaal! 2019/20 season

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 470 total)
  • Soccerball Goooaaaaal! 2019/20 season
  • It’s really enjoyable seeing the plucky mid-table sides having a go at the champions.

Premier Icon senor j
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Well I had Rashford as first goal at 9/1 and us for the win on what seemed like a frankly bonkers 9/1, so us mid table supporters have to take our small victories where we can 😃

Have you got your United top on Bravissimo?

Nice to hear ‘Who the **** are man united!’ Ringing out round wastelands

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Ha. Just noticed this…

Some of your best signings this season have been the refs and the VAR staff with their temporary but frequent blindness

This is what you’re reduced to now? Sad.

You’ll be whinging about VAR tonight I suppose? Thought not.

Classy behaviour from City fans when Fred went to take a corner…one chap has been caught on Twitter doing monkey impressions. Hopefully that’ll be a ban from the ground from him. Stewards right in front of him ignored it.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Even Roy Keane seems relatively happy

fossy

Have a thought for my 19 year old son. He’s volunteering with St John’s Ambulance at Piccadilly Train Station tonight. Christmas shoppers, boozed up party goers and loads and loads of boozed up football supporters….

MSP

It was actually a good game, full blood and guts commitment from first to last. City really didn’t do that much wrong, just nothing seems to be going our way at the moment.

I think the title is gone now (unless VVD is injured for a few months) so as long as we are not in danger of dropping out of the top four, I hope Pep starts to blood our young defenders instead of slotting midfielder in, no matter how good a job they have done there, lets start looking to the future. We have a couple of really good central defender prospects, give them some game time Pep.

The behaviour of the fans in the corner was embarrassing, lets hope GMP don’t turn a blind eye.

MSP

Stewards right in front of him ignored it.

What are the stewards trained to do? I don’t think they are meant to go and grab people out of the crowd, they are just normal blokes not trained police officers. Hopefully they noted who it was and pointed him out to the police.

There was the case a couple of seasons ago where a Brighton steward dragged a city fan celebrating a goal over the barrier and onto the pitch. Then when Sergio Aguero tried to defend the fan, the steward claimed Sergio assaulted him, not realising it was all on camera. That has equally got to be avoided.

Premier Icon Garry_Lager
    Subscriber

The big man brings back the passion !!

He most certainly did – best game I’ve seen at Goodison for a long time. My lad is easy come easy go with football but loved it today.

A great result but honestly though what does that say about (most of) these players? They try when they want to try – Absolutely ran their bollox off today but that shouldn’t be a special occasion. Morgan Schneiderlin has been burglarising a living for the last two seasons but put in a MotM performance today.

Garry_Lager – I guess you could say the same about Spurs recent transformation.

ElShalimo

@binners – City’s defence were just carved open every time Utd went forward in the first 30 mins. It was a strange game in terms of City possession but with no end product. It was the introduction of Otamendi that gave them something else in the final third. Bizarre.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Before the game I said the one player I really wanted to see on the City team sheet was Otamandi as he’s the same turning circle as a supertanker and Rashford and Tony Marshall would have a field day running at him

I forgot what he could do at the other end.

Still… 6 points for the week against Spurs and City is a result I wasn’t expecting, and the attacking intent is fantastic to watch.

Good to see Luke Shaw back too. He had a great game considering he’d not played since August

Imagine if Liverpool blew their lead this season…to Leicester instead…

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Leicester are a fantastic side. They’ve got quality in every area. I think they’re genuine title contenders.

I’m sure that they’re more than happy that everyone is only talking about Liverpool and City as contenders. Means they can get quietly get on with taking teams apart like they did with Villa this afternoon

They’ve got Liverpool and City over Christmas. That’s going to be an interesting run

Premier Icon senor j
    Subscriber

Mr Klopp has done a shrewd job rotating players so far this month, they’ve done waaay better than I expected but the Boxing Day game now looks very crucial.
    The fifa distraction is the last thing they need imo.
    We also have spurs , Man U , Arsenal & Chelsea to play too.
    Here’s hoping 🙏

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

“[Manchester] United have the quality to defend and the quality to attack on the counter-attack and you have to accept that,” he added.

“That is the level we face against Liverpool, Manchester United, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus. They are the teams we have to face and the reality is maybe we are not able now to compete with them.

“Maybe we need to live that as a club to improve, to accept the reality now and improve.”

Anyone else read this from Pep and think WTF ????

MSP

Yeah, it was a strange statement, I can only think he he trying to divert the media attention away from the players. It isn’t something Pep has been noted for in the past, but he has done it a few times this year. If Klop, Ferguson or the old Mourinho had said it, the press would be jumping all over what a psychological genius they were.

I just think he’s not happy with the squad, particularly in defence, and is making a play for some January spending. Who you buy to replace Vincent Kompany is a bit of a problem, though.

The City team is ageing – a lot of the goal creators/poachers are getting on a bit now and can’t play every game.

Leroy Sane was a massive loss for us in August.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

But that’s his fault surely ? It’s not like the board have been shy with the wallet.

MSP

They have pulled out of quite a few deals over the past few transfer windows because the prices got too rich.

Personally I don’t think the squad is that old, good mix of ages, just likely to be 1 or 2 replaced each year either by a purchase or some of the young prospects going through.

In reality I think we have been a little unlucky with injuries in the CB position, Laporte is a big loss, especially after Kompany leaving, they are both leaders, Stones and Otomendi are fine in a supporting role, but they need someone guiding them. If VVD spent a few months injured it would be the same for Liverpool, I could see it swinging back the other way.

But after the past two seasons we have had, watching some of the best football I have seen in my life on a regular basis, I can take a dip in form with a wry smile, it is city after all, it has been too good to be true for too long now something was inevitably going to go wrong sooner or later 🙂

It’s his fault he decided against signing someone to replace Kompany. Stones and Otamendi have been dodgy for a couple of years hence his preference for playing Fernandinho ahead of them. He’s obsessed with midfielders basically and I think was arrogant enough to resist signing another centre back.

That said you can’t do anything about another side winning every game but one.

Premier Icon senor j
    Subscriber

“Who do you buy to replace Vincent?” Koulibaly maybe?

Cletus

Most City fans were puzzled by Cancelo’s signing as Walker is still a good player. Some backup was needed when Danilo left but it need not have taken such a chunk of the transfer budget.

I think Pep might need to come up with a new strategy as many teams now seem comfortable conceding possession, defending their own box and hitting on the break with pacy attackers. When City unpick this the goals can be great but having to score worldies every game is not realistic.

As MSP said earlier this is City so a bit of difficulty feels like coming home.

MSP

FFS I think a city player could be surrounded by the opposition and stamped to death in the center circle, and var would ignore it. It is starting to get beyond a joke, that was a clear, deliberate and forceful elbow to the face, and nothing.

Premier Icon Caher
    Subscriber

Spurs are going to lose this by a cricket score… again.

MSP

Tough draw for the English teams, spurs with probably the easiest game.

Borussia Dortmund v PSG
    Real Madrid v MANCHESTER CITY
    Atalanta v Valencia
    Atletico Madrid v LIVERPOOL
    CHELSEA v Bayern Munich
    Lyon v Juventus
    TOTTENHAM v RB Leipzig
    Napoli v Barcelona

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Ouch… that’s some tough draw for many.

Hoping for Rangers v Arsenal in the next draw, and for Celtic to get a decent draw, coefficient is looking good for 2 scots champions league places soon…🙏🏻

Some of your best signings this season have been the refs and the VAR staff with their temporary but frequent blindness

Your reminder that as usual, when binners whinges about something, events will unfold to show he’s talking out of his hole. 😀

Looks like EUFA doesn’t want an all-English final again, then. 🙂

MSP

Just looking at it again, very few smaller teams have got through the group stages this year, Atalanta are probably the only weak team in there, RB Leipzig and Lyon might be preferred options and maybe Valencia. Realistically no one is getting an easy path to the final.

Premier Icon senor j
    Subscriber

“Never win anything with kids”?

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Well they never won tonight but I thought the played well, way better than the result seems to show that’s for sure.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Good effort there from Sterling. A comfortable 5.9

What is the point of VAR?

Premier Icon Caher
    Subscriber

What’s John Pertwee doing managing Flamenco?

World club champions and at least they put a side out in a cup competition. Not like they were arrogant enough to abandon the FA cup. Can’t imagine the shower of scumbags that would do something like that.

I see binners is still whinging about VAR. He’s like STW’s very own 606 phone in fayn.

MSP

The Sterling penalty was very similar to Rashfords penalty against spurs a few weeks ago, no doubt that the contact took him down, the only decision to be made is was it enough to warrant a penalty, and in that question it was more obvious than the Rashford penalty because that was just a tangle of legs, where as today the Leicester defender went to ground and dived into the challenge.

De Bruyne was fantastic again today, he really is an absolute joy to watch, and he puts a bloody shift in as well.

Jeez DD, you’ve got a long memory! That was back when Fergie ran the FA, yes?

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

There’s some proper angry fans out on BBC comments.

“Liverpool are rubbish, they’ve won nothing yet”

Well, apart from the champions League, super cup and world club cup lol

But just lots of anger all round.

I think I’ve changed and wonder if back in the day I was that angry regarding footie, I hope not.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 470 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.