Soccerball Goooaaaaal! 2018/19 season

Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 1,699 total)
  • Soccerball Goooaaaaal! 2018/19 season
  • Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

I’m not disputing the money has been spent Mike. It’s just been spent really really badly. The transfer policy has been completely directionless for years now

Why we signed Sanchez I have absolutely no idea. And then when I saw the wage package he was on I was incredulous!

He’s absolutely shit (he was awful yet again last night) he doesn’t fit in the squad at all, and we’re paying him the thick end of half a million quid a week! Absolute insanity!

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

… and, yes, I am aware that I’m moaning to a Newcastle supporter about how shit our owners are 😂

mikewsmith

Yeah, just pointing out the debt is just a red herring when it comes to it. Not to be harsh to OGS but he might be able to provide enough stability for a season to find the right coaching and management team to change things, then need a big vision and plan to get back to where the fans think they deserve to be 😉

Premier Icon slackalice
    Subscriber

All clubs seem to go through a sine wave process, until Liverpool were banned by uefa they were winning things for shits n giggles, went through a low period and now seem to on a resurgence. Same applies to the other clubs really. Leeds soon to be back in the PL next season?

The only club who I remember as predominantly mediocre but seem to have bought their way in are Man City, even when Colin Bell and Mike Summerbee we’re playing for them!

You bought Sanchez only because City were after him. Sums up Jose/Woodward. He looked overweight last night I thought – £400k a week buys a lot of pies I guess. Jorginho also rejected City too – they’ve lucked out not signing those two.

Some win for Spurs!

Premier Icon jimdubleyou
    Subscriber

COYS!!!!!!!!!!

mikewsmith

Nice one Spurs, still no CL in their new stadium though…

Without looking it up who knows where Bate Borisov is?

Premier Icon jimdubleyou
    Subscriber

Won’t be anything in the new stadium this year…

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Sad news this morning that Eric Harrison died last night.

If the name isn’t familiar, he was the youth team coach at United under Fergie who set up the scouting and coaching system that brought through the ‘Class of 92’. So you could say he was a bit good at his job. If you’ve not watched the film ‘The Class of 92’ its well worth a watch. You don’t have to be a United fan. Its a fascinating glimpse into an era of football that is long gone. Lots of interview footage with Eric, who just came across as a lovely bloke

RIP Eric.

“You’ll never win anything with kids” must surely be his epitaph

Ro5ey

Had a little romantic breakfast this morning with Mrs R at local posh cafe/eatery type place in sunny Brentwood

Just about to finish when Spurs legend Clive Allen (49 goals!! in all comps 1987) walked in and sat down at a nearby table.

“Excuse me Mr Allen, let me just leave this for you,” I said. “Oh… Right, yeah cheers” he replied with a smile, as I gave him the newspaper that claimed “Poch’s Heros” on the back.

schrickvr6

What’s people’s predictions, can the mighty Newport keep their run going?

mikewsmith

hmmm no, I think city will field the strong B team and put a few past them

mikewsmith

I’m still sticking with that prediction but it’s a proper cup tie going on there!!

Surprised Pep risked Fernandinho given he’s arguably the one player they have no alternative for.

MSP

Newport have defended really well, and created some chances. City are off the pace, the pitch is affecting them and they have had a couple of decisions go against them, but they should have enough talent to overcome that, they have to improve.

Also surprised Fernandinho is on the pitch, could have played Gundugon or Delph in there, maybe even Claudio Gomez who looked really good pre season.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

This should be interesting tonight. No Lingard or Tony Marshall so we’ve lost that pace up front. Don’t know who Ole will start with? It’ll be Rashford, and Lukaku instead of the absolutely hopeless Sanchez

I suppose a lot is going to depend on which Chelski turn up?

mikewsmith

Well I don’t think Chelsea have what it takes to get this one back, maybe Sarri ball plan B is to take the ball home!

Taxi for Mr Sarri. He’s turning Chelsea into Late-Wenger era Arsenal.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Great performance. Herrera was outstanding!

Hats off to the United fans for following their chant of ‘sacked in the morning’ with ‘bring back Mourinho’ 😂

Knowing Chelski, he’ll probably be gone tomorrow

Watty

I suppose a lot is going to depend on which Chelski turn up

Ha ha ha ha ha. And I’m a Chelsea fan,

Was it United’s performance or is the pitch at Stamford Bridge really small? United did enough to win, I think they’re a better side away from home with the pace up front.

MSP

Chelsea need to back a manager against the players, with the standard City and Liverpool are setting, spurs not that far off and a rejuvenated united I don’t think their traditional management swap shop is going to bring them any sucsess over the next few years. Guardiola would have been lucky to survive at chelski, with his first season performance at city.

I think that for most of the premier leagues existence, there has only been 1 or 2 teams in the title race each season, while at the start of the season predictions might have included more teams in the race, that wasn’t how it worked out in reality. For the next few years, I think there will be more genuine contenders, and if chelski players keep throwing a strop at their managers, they won’t be one of them.

Anyway, down to other business, big game on Sunday now, could have a big impact on where the trophy goes at the end of the season.

Cletus

Will be interesting to see who is the Chelsea manager on Sunday for the League Cup final. I liked Sarri’s Napoli side but his methods do not seem to be working at Chelsea even though they started the season well. I cannot really see where Chelsea would go next for a manager if Sarri does leave – Zindane maybe but cannot see him turning them into contenders.

I hope United can get something against the “Football Royalty” on Sunday – a loss or draw for the red scouse would be a nice boost before City play at Wembley.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

I hope United can get something against the “Football Royalty” on Sunday

WTF…. that’s one of the weirdest statements i’ve seen in a football conversation.

What on earth are you on about ?

Liverpool fans on here have been nothing short of anonymous and not rubbing anyones face in their league position etc…

mikewsmith

So who had a bet on 0-0 there?

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

I’d gone for Bayern nicking it 1-0

An absolute defensive masterclass there though. Hummels was superb. 2nd Leg should be a very different game

I don’t think Liverpool will be too disappointed though. It’s a far better result than 1-1 I suppose. Or getting beat 2-0 at home. Wonder if they’d take another 0-0 on Sunday at Old Trafford?

Nah, they needed to win that. Frustrating night. Mané having one of those “FFS Sadio…” nights and Salah having to drift too wide to pick up the ball. Fair dues to the defence for keeping a clean sheet – they really are properly patched up and stitched at the back at the moment. Matip would give anyone heart failure at times. 🙂

I think they’ll lose at Old Trafford. A draw is the best they can hope for from there.

mikewsmith

For me it looked like they didn’t have the solid back to build on, they were one man further back for most of the game. AA looked rusty which didn’t help them either. Even as they were I reckon defensively they will give man u a tough test, mane could have some fun if he gets up to speed. VVD looks like he could be back too which would transform the back line again.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Do you think so Bravissimo? I think the good thing about Sundays visit is that it stands a good chance of a return to the days where the result could be absolutely anything. A proper United v Liverpool ding-dong of seasons past, where there’s bound to be two attacking sides properly going at each other, loads of tasty challenges, cards (possibly sending offs), goals aplenty, including a good chance of one or two ‘goal of the season’ contenders.

And lets be honest, who wouldn’t want that after the absolutely bloody awful nil-nil bus-parking bore-fests that Jose instigated over the last few seasons. I’d rather watch a great match and lose than have to endure any more of that. He turned what could often be game of the season, into the worst

MSP

Klop was cautious in his approach to the city games, I am leaning towards him keeping it a bit safe on Sunday as well (cautious far Liverpool is still very different to parking the bus, I just think they will be aware of the threat and make it a bit cagey). United on the other hand I don’t think can win if they don’t go all out.

VVD looks like he could be back too

I thought he was only out last night because of suspension wasn’t he?

mikewsmith

I thought he was only out last night because of suspension wasn’t he?

OK, that explains it – though he had a knock, in which case expect a lot less screw ups at the back!!

Yep – suspended. Remains to be seen whether Martial and Lingaard make it back. United favourites for me if they do – as much as their pace and attacking threat they’ll stop Liverpool’s full backs getting forward.

Premier Icon senor j
    Subscriber

I’m trying to take positives out of last night…(clean sheet,Keita & Fabinho played quite well , at last the former seems to be improving every game, plus no more injuries).I also agree with DD- man u are favourites for sunday & if they play as well as they did against Chelsea it could be end of my PL hopes for the season….Quite exciting though.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Just had a look at the odds and the bookies have still got Liverpool as favourites on Sunday. Mind you, they had Chelski down as favourites the other night.

I’m quite enjoying this underdog status lark 😀

Fingers crossed Tony and Lingard are back. Having said that, the best performance Lukaku has put in in a United shirt was against Liverpool, when he absolutely terrorised Lovren to score one and set Rashford up for the other. Obviously Jose then reversed the bus in and we all went sleepy-bo-bo’s for the next hour

MSP

I think if I dug my boots out of the cellar and played for the first time in nearly 15 years, I could terrorise the self proclaimed best defender in the world.

As ridiculous as his actual claim was and yours is, he didn’t say that.

I know, I know…but that hug…

mikewsmith

Very strange game going on in Germany tonight!!

Some spine from City there, the first penalty was unlucky but the 2 away goals will make a huge difference to them.

Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 1,699 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.