Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 1,699 total)
  • Soccerball Goooaaaaal! 2018/19 season
  • PrinceJohn

How does the reader know which is black and which is white ? I don’t know if Foden is a black kid… It would be a reasonable assumption to know the other kid is though due to his spelling. Lets assume for a second the first kid was still black but called bobby naysmith, would it still have the same spin on it that you think it has ?

Talk about missing the point – one headline is written in a manner that is very much designed to make the reader take a dislike to the person it’s written about, the other is written to make it seem like he’s doing a generous thing.
    Both the stories are essentially the same, the difference being the footballers colour.

weeksy

Talk about missing the point

Or maybe you’re reading more into it than necessary ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Or maybe you’re reading more into it than necessary ?

Yeah course that is it…. Whereas most people seem to be spotting a problem there. We can choose to ignore it or confront it.

imnotverygood

I agree with the main thrust of Sterling’s complaint, but I don’t agree with the Foden thing. Foden is three years younger & is touted as The Next Big Thing. He has played for City in the League & impressed when he has done so. I’ve never heard of Adarabioyo. He is playing for a Championship side & he may or may not go on to have a decent Premiership career. But he’s not (yet) a star. Foden is. The ‘story’ is about how a potential journeyman pro is so well paid. If the roles had been reversed & Foden was black & getting stick then I would completely agree that the motive was racist. I don’t think you can unequivocally say it is in this case.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Oh look, there’s binners using a row about racism to wash some sand out of his fanny regarding Liverpool. Not for the first time either.

Can’t be long til ManU are referred to as ‘the old lady of Manchester’, used to be a looker, but now just flashes a long since faded ankle to anyone passing…

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Can’t see them making the top four so unless they win the thing this year (😂) there’ll be no Champions League next year. Jose will be sacked if they don’t make top 4 and someone else will get a go of spunking £300m and complaining he’s got no decent centre halves.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I’ve heard many a Liverpool fan in support of Sterling. I heard John Barnes on 5live today who talked about this being a problem in society not football; and I think he’s right, to a point. Football creates a fanaticism and some of the less smart and humanistic parts of peoples thinking spill out in thoughtless words and aggressive behaviour. It’s totally unacceptable in today’s society. Think what you will but it seems obvious to me that it’s the same story promoted nagatively towards the black man and positively toward the white.

Incidentally, when Sterling left for City it was more the way he did it after years of development, bbc interview etc., that got most supporters backs up. He has developed well under Guardiola, moreso this season with better finishing, but he’s not replicated that at international level.

PS Mourinho can stay forever as far as I’m concerned as if they get a coach that can unleash the forwards, they’ll be a different prospect. Just my tuppence

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Binners – you all strapped in for one of those ‘special Anfield European nights?’ 4-2 Liverpool.

binners

Oh goodie! I do love a calm, measured informed and impartial Steve McMannoman commentary.

I’m hoping two nil Napoli just so I don’t have to listen to him celebrating any goals.

Should be a great game this though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Simple answer for Liverpool is avoid the Europa league at all costs!!
    Best to ignore Mccccccmanamanamnam, a man who can change his definite opinion mid delivery

binners

Inexplicably, the odds on Napoli winning were 5/1 😳

Seemed rude not to stick a few quid on that. I’m sure it’ll prove the usual kiss of death

And you’re right, Mike. Nobody wants to be playing in Russia on a Thursday night. That’s why José has sensibly kept us out of the Europa league places

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just an early entry to the league cup for an exotic visit somewhere next year!!
    Liverpool goal should force Napoli to come out a bit unless they plan to sit tight until 80 mins

binners

I can never understand trying to be clever with free kicks. It never works. Just ****ing hit it!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well it’s too easy for Liverpool at the moment but still very dangerous at 1-0, I see Spurs are in at the moment if it stays like that.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

That fella in goal, he could be worth a bob or two. It’s the difference between this season and last there, should have scored a dozen though. All 4 through tonight so a good night for English football

weeksy

I think both him in there and Virgil have made a massive difference overall at the back.

Should have been eleventy seven – 1 though

binners

Mane didn’t have his shooting boots on, did he?

Napoli were on the back foot the whole game. It’s your 75 million quid defender that’s made all the difference. He’s made everyone around him organised and playing better. Some proper authority. And the young lads coming through are learning off him. Worryingly. Add in a keeper who doesn’t flap at stuff and that’s why you’re top of the table. Money well spent

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Agree Binners – Allison has actually had it pretty easy with big Virgil in front of him, although when called upon in injury time came up with the save.

Sometimes Mane can’t hit a barn door! I think his unpredictability is one of his best assets!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

United just had a shot on target! Only taken them 74 minutes. Dire.

binners

Its bloody awful! It’s a none-game though. Counts for nothing.

We’ve got bigger fish to fry this week. Jose’s just getting the bus serviced to see if the reversing lights are working. One way or another I suspect this could be embarrassing. I’ve never looked forward to a United game against the scousers less. We’ll either get walloped or we’ll plummet to new depths of bus-parking. I expect nothing more than that. And that’s pretty ****ing depressing!

He has to go, because he’s dragged our club down to this level of expectation

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

😂 It will be a double decker bus!

cheers_drive

Apparently Allison let in more goals in the 2 Champions League games for Roma Vs Liverpool that all the Premier League games he’s played in so far this season!

binners

Chelsea fans covering themselves in glory again, I see?

weeksy

Chelsea fans covering themselves in glory again, I see?

I don’t know the song but get the idea what it’s about… I’m not sure it’s nearly as racist/abusive as some. At LFC we have “We all hate mancs and mancs and mancs” but really… Do we ? Not so much…. it’s just a bit of friendly banter to throw in the melting post for a bit of fun. I know the Utd fans have similar reverse songs about Scousers but yet i don’t get the impression you for example hate me and want to see my dead at the side of the road.

People these days take things far too seriously, all offended on behalf of everyone else at times. It’s just a game, just some banter…. Isn’t it ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I don’t know the song but get the idea what it’s about… I’m not sure it’s nearly as racist/abusive as some

The point is we do not tolerate just being a bit racist. Being a bit less racist or abusive than somebody else is not a defence.

weeksy

Is it racist though ?

Here for example is https://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/being-a-yid-song.7320/

Which are Spurs fans writing, creating and loving songs using the same term to themselves and how they love being a Yid…. So why is it only wrong if someone else calls them it ?

I know we’re getting into a dangerous can of worms here… but football insults, banter, etc has been going on for 100+ years… It’s rarely meant or actually deemed offensive to anyone other than the easily offended. The problem comes that these days of course the political correctness of society is all holy and the most important thing in the world.

Sadly, the football seems to take 2nd place in importance compared to being offended 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, I mean, what’s a bit of abuse towards Sterling based on the colour of his skin, or a few bananas thrown onto the pitch?!? It’s just a bit of banter isn’t it?

I pay most attention to anyone who uses the phrases “professionally offended” or “offended on behalf of others.” They normally have their fingers right on the pulse of the moral zeitgeist.

weeksy

what’s a bit of abuse towards Sterling based on the colour of his skin, or a few bananas thrown onto the pitch?!? It’s just a bit of banter isn’t it?

totally different thing IMO.

PrinceJohn

The problem comes that these days of course the political correctness of society is all holy and the most important thing in the world.

When I see the phrase “politically correct” or “PC” I tend to roll my eyes and interpret it as a signifier of how a person feels about race, gender, sexuality or ecological issues, how can you be too correct about something.

PrinceJohn

On a slightly different note – https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46565595

Mourinho moaning again… what exactly is his image? Klopp has been at Liverpool 6 months longer & he’s put his stamp in the team, Pep has been at City 2 months longer & they’ve got his stamp on them…

weeksy

He’s kind of confusing… As you say, the time difference isn’t that significant and if he’s not happy, then surely it’s only down to him to change the team, tactics, training etc… If it’s not his responsibility then what exactly is he doing there ?

PrinceJohn

If it’s not his responsibility then what exactly is he doing there ?

As far as I can tell, just moaning about a lack of transfer activity?

weeksy

According to this link he’s bought 10 players

https://www.transfermarkt.com/jose-mourinho/spielertransfers/trainer/781/plus/0?station_id=134947

They cost somewhere in the region of £350m

So my sympathy for him in that context is pretty low.

Rough calcs from that site, Klopp has spent £430-440m which isn’t night and day more, especially when you consider how much Klopp got back in for Cout etc.

PrinceJohn

Only one of those players cost less than £20 million too – hardly ‘squad’ players… By contrast Pep’s bought 22 players, only 11 of them cost more than 20 million (overall spend is much greater, more than 1 x Pogba)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

He’s kind of confusing

Not really, he alienates people, he doesn’t have the capacity to change well enough and he feels the need to be worshipped. He seems to love the adversarial part of the job and feels like he needs to do it with everyone.

It must be boiling his piss to see how the modern managers can get on and respect each other week in week out.

binners

To complain about a lack of funds for transfers is patently ridiculous given what he’s spent.

The problem is that those players aren’t performing. But watching their performances in the World Cup in the summer proves that they’re perfectly capable of doing so with a decent manager employing smart tactics.

He’s come out and said he’ll ‘fight’ for a win on Sunday at Anfield, but we all know what he’ll actually do. Its his default setting. He’ll park the bus. I expect it’ll be an absolutely awful game where he’ll try and bore out another nil nil

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fare executive director Piara Powar says such attitudes must be defeated.

“The sad fact is that in recent years Chelsea have done an incredible amount of work to tackle anti-Semitism, much of it highly innovative and impactful,” said Powar.

“But there remains throughout football a rump of people who in 2019 will see the political atmosphere as a cover for their own racism and prejudice.”

A Chelsea spokesman said the offensive songs about Tottenham fans have “shamed the club”.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46563997

weeksy

I expect it’ll be an absolutely awful game where he’ll try and bore out another nil nil

I just can’t see that one… can’t see it at all. Klopp will be sending his boys out to go crazy

binners

Klopp did that last year. Where did it get him? Nil nil in possibly the worst game of the season. Jose will do exactly the same again. Its got ‘last game on MOTD’ written all over it.

Which isn’t something you’d ever have thought would apply to United v Liverpool at Anfield, pre-Jose

He’ll put Lukaku up front on his own, everyone else behind the ball, and just punt hopeful long balls up occassionally and hope Lovren is playing. Lukaku just bullied him at OT and got two. I can’t see that happening again.

PrinceJohn

I just can’t see that one… can’t see it at all. Klopp will be sending his boys out to go crazy

They’ve not really done that this year tho, they’ve been much more functional as opposed to blowing teams off the park.

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 1,699 total)

The topic ‘Soccerball Goooaaaaal! 2018/19 season’ is closed to new replies.